MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: best reloading press for beginners

Boolit Master
    I totally agree with all that. JBinMN has said . I just get stuck on the idea that LCT is a single stage with the index rod removed , although you don’t get all the die adjusting practice I don’t find progressive presses relaxing to load on they require to much focus watching listening and feeling and sorting all the stages out if there’s a hiccup in the process.
    But it is hard to remember what it was like when I started 50 years ago.

Boolit Grand Master

best reloading press for beginners

The problem w/ new reloaders and YouTube videos is they don’t know what’s good information and what’s bad. It’s a case of you don’t know what you don’t know. The same can be said for forums to an extent. I will point to annealing. It’s based in scientific fact around time and temperature. Yet you will see people constantly posting misinformation about it.

A new reloader should buy a reloading manual, or three, and read them multiple times. Each one will give you the basics and then some. I always suggest Lee’s. Richard is of course trying to sell his product but the basics are there in an easy to understand format. And since a lot of new reloaders use Lee equipment it’s a no brainer to get the manual. Bonus is it has a lot of load information in it. It’s not in a “recipe” fashion but it’s data non the less.

New reloaders should trust published manuals for the basics. And view forums and YouTube as opinions. There’s obviously good in both but it takes knowledge of the subject to know it when you see it.

Difference between 1980, when I first started, and now is that there are these things like the internet with forums, videos and groups whereas back then we had the manuals, magazine articles, friends and clubs. Well there weren't a lot of clubs around here back then and one better really trust their "friend" that they are teaching them right or giving them correct information.

Forums such as this I have found that if you post misleading or unsafe info you pretty much hear about it in a hurry. Videos also are helpful if taken for what they are. Not just the reloading or shooting videos either. I've watched everything from how to use a spray gun to rebuilding the carbs on my outboard. I've even watched videos on powder coating cast bullets! I found it pretty easy to sort the meaningful ones from the junk. Which ones know what they are talking about and which ones are blowing smoke.

I'm also pretty sure we have completely bored the OP by now.

Boolit Buddy
    My recommendation for a beginner who does not need the strength of a heavy single stage press would be a Lee four hole turret press. There is no difference in setting up the dies on a turret than setting up dies on a single stage press except that you do all the set up on a turret press in the beginning of the process instead of setting up the next die before you begin the next step in the reloading process. On a single stage press you complete one step on all the cartridge cases before changing dies, whereas with a turret press, you complete all the steps on one cartridge before changing over to the next case. The single stage press and the turret press are alike in that only one action is performed on one case each time the handle is pulled. Contrary to what many reloaders believe, not everyone needs a heavy single stage press because a turret press will do nicely when loading standard rifle cartridges up to and including cartridges in .308 and 30-06 families. If the Lee turret press needs to be used as a single stage press it only takes a few seconds to remove the advancing mechanism.

Extra turrets are relatively cheap and allow the user to set up turrets for multiple calibers, enabling cartridge changeover without changing die settings unless a different powder charge or bullet will be used. Turret changeover from one cartridge to another takes less than 30 seconds if the turrets already have powder measures. If powder measures have to be switched it only takes a few minutes longer because the expander/powder measure die can be left in place and does not require adjustment when being moved from one turret to another.

I own or have owned most of the tools recommended by previous posters in this thread including an original Lee loader, RCBS Rockchucker, Lee hand press, and several other single stage presses. Even though most of my loading these days is done on either a Dillon 550 or Hornady LnL progressive, one of the last tools that will leave my reloading bench is the Lee four hole turret press because of its simplicity and versatility.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Youmans View Post
    one of the last tools that will leave my reloading bench is the Lee four hole turret press because of its simplicity and versatility.
    You and me both. It will most likely be the last one because I can do everything on it, reloading wise. If I didn’t move dies between presses every turret would be setup and ready to load on.

Boolit Master
    I have a Star progressive loader as well as a bunch of other presses. Is there anyone here that would recommend a newbe starting on one of those? I would not. I also have 3 of the Lee Pro 1000s. I have made them work but would never recommend one of those for a newbe. Maybe a Dillon 550b but only if I knew they were going to treat it like a SS until they had loaded a few hundred rounds with it. Get a used SS and sell it for what you have in it when you move up if you can't think of a reason to keep it. I have 14 or 15 presses from SS to full progressive not counting 5 or 6 shotgun presses. So he is only going to load 357, right. I was only going to load 38spl when I started. I now load for 30+ metallic and 4 shotgun guages. Start simple, buy used and you will shortly be hooked or quit and can recoup most if not all of your investment.

It’s worth mentioning I ( and some others )enjoy the time I (&others ) spend reloading, I can afford the time to . The ability to make more rounds more quickly is not desired, again I can afford the time and enjoy the process

And as to why so many responses, it’s a topic we ALL share . We were all beginners once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes today we have YouTube. Back in the 60's and early 70's it wasn't that hard to find smaller mom and pop gun stores that sold powder, bullets and had almost every kind of press set up on display so you had hands on experience to help you decide. Even then my first was a Lee reloader in 6mm Rem that you used a plastic hammer with. No lever! Cheap. Later moved on to a RCBS Special something, then a Lyman Orange Crusher, but it came painted black. Still my workhorse. Always catches the spent primer. Plenty beefy, don't think it could ever wear out. Just put a light in it. Have had other Lees too. If you ever plan on loading bottleneck rifle shells, my advise is to stay away from a Lee turret press. Goodnight.

Some where in this I believe the OP mentioned not being adverse to used. Start with Craigslist--there are usually a number of reloading items for sale. Do several searches--reloading, reloader, Mec, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Lee, Dillon--these will get you a number of hits usually. Some times you see good prices, some time I think the people listing this stuff were smoking crack when they listed.

Troll gun clubs in the area, there are usually postings of stuff for sale. Also be pro-active, posted wanted to buy listings at the local gun clubs. There is a fair amount of reloading stuff sitting in guy's garage and they are too lazy to make a sign up to sell it. If they think they have a buyer they may decide it is time to move the stuff.

Over the decades I have bought and sold a considerable amount of reloading gear--to the point dollar wise I have all my reloading equipment for free and am a little ahead cash wise. It's taken a bit of horse trading and a fair amount of luck, a Dillon 550 for $100, and a MEC 9000 for $100 are a once a decade kind of buy. But I have accumulated 7 MEC progressives 410, 28, 20, 16 and 2 12 gauges plus a P-W 800B, two RCBS Rockchuckers, Lyman Turret, Dillon Square Deal B and a RL550.
    RCBS lubrisizer with dies for the ~50 different calibers I load for, RCBS pot, with a bunch of molds. 2 Redding powder measures plus all the assorted scales, calipers trimmers case polishers and case prep tools.

Luckily I built a 24x32 workshop for myself 30+ years ago, it was the best thing I did. That allowed me the space to use and maintain the hobby stuff plus the cars/lawn home stuff.

Don't be afraid to buy basic/single stage type stuff when you are learning, there is a market for your used stuff for the next beginner coming along.
    I still use the Rockchucker ALOT. I do a lot of small lot kind of stuff, 20-60 rounds at a time and setting up a progressive just doesn't make sense. There are also cartridges I load that I scale every powder charge, when you are trying to hit the 10 ring on the target that is less than an 1" dia. at 300 yards you scale each and every charge. Same way when you are shooting a buddy's $20,000 Rigby double rifle you make sure the cartridge is absolutely spot on--not the best for a progressive.

Boolit Master
    I will offer my opinion based on my experience. You can do what you need with the Lee Classic cast turret press. You could start out using it like a single stage by removing the indexing rod until you feel confident in learning the basics. Once you have them down then put the indexing Rod back in and load away. This press will last a lifetime and is very simple and easy to operate. If at some point you get into the long range type rifle stuff, then I would add a good quality single stage press like a Rock Chucker or something along that line. This is just my opinion based on my over 30 years of handloading, and I by no means know everything but I am learning.

Banned

Agree with the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press as a first press. I remove the plastic auto-index part and use it as a manual turret. If you have the $$$ a Dillion 550 works real good. I do not agree with the notion that you need to start with a single stage but most everyone has a single stage even if they have three 1050s for good reason. The Rock Chucker or the Lee Precision Classic cast works well in this capacity.

Boolit Master
    For me the main advantage of Lee classic turret for a beginner is that it is a press to keep.... even if you decide you need a heavyweight single stage or a top of the line progressive I don’t know of any other press that can load 50 rounds in less than 15 minutes and is so easy and cheap to keep adjusted for multiple calibers . I have 3 other presses the turret is not the strongest or the fastest but for a guy that shoots 100 to 200 rounds a week and loads for many calibers, I load for 10 regularly mostly handgun.If a tornado gets them all the LCT will be the first one I replace , it is my work truck.

Banned

Another vote for a Rockchucker or similar. It's what I started on and what I still mostly use.

Go to a good gun show, was at the Chisolm Trail show in Wichita about a week ago, quite a few great old single stage presses with lots of life in them for less than a new Lee and better than a new Lee.

Boolit Bub
    Start with a single stage. As long as it is a quality press, you will always have it and find a use for it even if you step up to a progressive press later. Even old used RCBS and Lyman presses still have a long life ahead of them if reasonably well cared for.

I first learned to load shotshells with a MEC 600Jr before getting into metallic cartridge loading. I wanted to load for pistols and revolvers and bought a Hornady LnL AP. It does the job once you have an established load. For trying small lots of different loads, I wanted a single stage and bought a RockChucker last fall. It sees a lot of use.

Boolit Master
    My Lyman orange crusher will defiantly outlast my lee...It sets in the back waiting for me to find a reason to use it. it has been neglected for a few years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15834076-EC17-4AB8-A06F-20DBC18BD093.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	238095

Boolit Master
    I hear "Whats The best " all the time. instead of Following the pack or popular. The question should be "What fills My Needs @ the present time ". What do i need to enjoy my Hobby then as thing progess . see what else
    learn to be independent and make your Decision from your own knowledge
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master
    JB, it becomes a "pissing contest" because so very few ask the important questions before offering an opinion. They try to justify what they use even it is a poor choice.

I HATE reloading but do it to get better loads and save money. I have two Dillon 1050's, two 550's, RC, Co-Ax, PW 800+ with autodrive, and two PW 375's. And I have downsized from what I used to have. I have no axe to grind and nothing to justify.

The OP has not responded to my last post offering help if he would PM me some important factors he should consider in selecting equipment. It kind of reminds me of the Jack Nicholson line in one of his moves..."You can't handle the truth".

BTW, whoever suggested getting used equipment made a good suggestion. If someone is not going to stick with it, or buys the wrong equipment, there is little or no loss. If the OP is still following, take that advice. Good Luck!!!
    Don Verna

Also agree the Lee Classic Turret is an excellent press to start with, and gives some room for growth. It's a quality piece of equipment, budget friendly, easy to use and versatile. Hard combo of traits to beat.

What I learned from this thread, which looks like it’s about over, is that the very thing that makes a single stage press a pain in the rear is the same thing that makes a good first press. A single stage press forces you to repeat each function every time you set up a die, it forces you to look at your mistakes one at a time when you remove them by hand, and it forces you to go through this process over and over and over. That’s what I hated about it - the repetitive requirement that you change out the dies every time. It’s the most inefficient reloading system ever designed except for the one with the Lee handheld die and hammer. But that’s also its advantage. It forces you to learn how to set up dies through repetition, and makes you handle your mistakes one at a time so they are immediately noticeable, and lack of quality is self evident.

I’ve only been reloading for about six years. But I learned on a RC. I finally “upgraded” to a Lyman TMag2 turret presswhen they went on sale due to the new model. I only use it for pistol. But I do not think I would be where I am now if I did not go through the repetition which a SS press requires. It’s the learning curve, not the press. We forget about that. But it’s the crushed cases that save my *** latter.

I still think a single stage press is the best press to learn on. It’s not the best press. It won’t be your last. It’s the best teaching tool for a guy alone in his garage trying to figure out from books how to reload. This is the same principle that says it’s good to weigh and measure every load when you’re starting out. Yes, it’s slower than heck, but that’s the point. It forces repetition and it gives you an intuitive feel for tolerances in your equipment.

I am an equipment *****. I like tools. But I’m convinced that a good cast iron or a cast steel press from any of the major brands will work well and last a lifetime. I have an RC, but I’m sure I would be just as well served with a Lyman, Lee, or green or red or orange or gray cast iron SS press. None are perfect but they all seem good enough. (Which sums up my thoughts on the Lyman turret press as well.) The only advice I would give myself, if I could go back in time, would be to pay more attention to the quality of dies. As I upgrade my dies, I look at the wasted money on the shelf. But even Lee is good enough. It’s not about the dies either.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 03-17-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Tiny cell phone keyboard

Boolit Master
    I'm with fn1889m on this. Anything that speeds up the process for a beginner also increases the possibility of a nasty oops. Buy used and recoup IF you won't ever need a SS again.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast