Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think I ruined it?

Boolit Master

Let's compare apples to apples. Devalued compared to what? You stated that it had been a "farm truck gun in Maine" which implies less than pristine condition. I would agree that "refinishing" devalues a well cared for collector gun. However, refinishing a "farm truck gun" is an altogether different story. It is yours. I am glad you thought enough of it to restore it's original beauty! Those "younger" commentators are probably repeating something they heard and not considering the condition of the gun when you acquired it.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Turnbull guns are a different animal imo. At the turn of the century gun manufacturers offered upgrades that turned their plain vanilla guns into works of art with engraving, premium wood or checkering at the customers request and at a cost. Kind of what Turnbull does. His creations are not a factory commemorative which most ‘collectors’ disdain, they are the real deal just put back to nib condition by craftsmen who actually know what they are doing. Of course a Turnbull refinished firearm should never be sold as factory new but with 100 years patina on a Turnbull redo I’m sure that some will. If I had money to burn but wanted a collection of minty firearms I’d buy them and be proud of them. Ultimately it’s your gun and yours to do with what you will. Think of it this way, if it was a ‘57 Chevrolet that was in rough shape but all there, is it worth more as it is or as a rebuilt, repainted, reupholstered, rechromed Chevy put back to the way it was when it rolled off the assembly line? But ultimately it’s your ‘57 so enjoy it.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 03-13-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

You ruined it. Send it to me for proper disposal. As basically everyone has said - who cares. Enjoy it while you can.

Boolit Grand Master

Who cares, it’s yours. Do what you want to it. I “ruined” Savage 99E by reboring it to 358 Win, rebluing it, re color case hardening the lever and installing a NOS stock w/ a high comb. And I don’t care one bit what anyone thinks. The notion that a gun in original condition, yet beat up, is worth more than one that’s properly restored makes no sense to me. But I prefer a restomod to an original car for lots of reasons.

I am with all that say forgetaboutit , I have refinished many guns just for the experience and I liked them better when I did it. About the only thing I hate to see is when someone uses a heavy hand with sandpaper on a gun stock.

Jedman

If it was a truck gun and not in pristine condition before you reblued, then you did not do any appreciable harm. It’s yours and your grandson’s , so it’s priceless. Enjoy !

Boolit Buddy
    Then there is the LGS owner who goes to the "blue book" for condition % on an "original".....that '94 of mine at the time I bought it would be way down as far as % finish.......I like it as is now. My son shoots it whenever he gets a chance. The ammo and brass are expensive, but I size 30-30 cases to 32 spcl.
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

Boolit Master
    I think collector-value is over-valued.

Everyone reads stories about some antique fetching oodles of cash. But the reality is there are many attics full of so-called collectibles that are worthless. Collectible markets are very shallow. The demand is really, really, low. You may have a museum or some fanatic that really wants the item you have, and if you happen to connect with them you are in luck. The antique sells for thousands! Then word gets out that a Winchester '94 sold for a fortune and everyone puts their granddad's gun up for auction. Well the problem is, that one, single person who thought that particular gun was worth a lot already has his collection satisfied. To everyone else, it's just a used gun.

Boolit Master
    Collector value is a ghost. Unless absolutely pristine, most rifles are 'shooters'. Recoil pads, non facctory sling swivels, drilling/tapping, anything that changes the 'out of box' look reduces value. Only those extremely rare calibers or low production firearms for a model really maintain value if not pristine. Use them, enjoy them, make them work for you. Is it worth $200 over 15 years to do without a sling, a scope, a recoil pad, worrying about a bump or leaving it home, not shooting/enjoying it. Once the bluing is worn and the stock scratched it is for your pleasure. Maybe you will be lucky, maybe not? Is it the guy with the most toys or the guy with the well-used toys that really wins?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I do my guns to suit me i don't give a hoot what others think of it.

Boolit Master
    If you consider value - what do you consider the most value?

1. Resale value?
    This is value if all you are doing is investing, reselling or flipping. For this person the gun is only a commodity with which to make more money so it has little to no utility value.

2. Utility - the value you get from using the item
    For this person pride of ownership and actual use of the item is most important.

Here is my take. If you are a collector only focusing on making money you might make money faster with an other side line job or putting in extra hours on your current job.

If utility or use of the gun is most important then the most joy and satisfaction you will get out of a gun is to take care of it but use the heck out of it so that when you are through with it, it is still clean but is nearly worn out from extensive use in the field. The most you can enjoy a rifle is to take good care of it but wear it out.
    EDG

If I had an old Winchester like that, I would have no interest what so ever in selling it. Because of that, I wouldn't give a rat's derriere about resale value.
    I'd make it look like I wanted it to look, whether that meant a re-blue job or not.

I don't know your situation, but if your heirs aren't interested in firearms and want to sell them when you're gone, who cares?
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Actually a really goo blueing job if it was done in the 60s. Use it, leave it to someone who will appreciate it and use it too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It was beat up when you got it, its a nice gun now, with 7 million 94's out there its never gonna be a rarity- you increased its VALUE - regardless of whether the price you might get is different - yr not gonna sell it anyways.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the one I haven't re-done............1902 Winchester 1886 45-70 Xtra Lightweight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70 -1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	237937
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

Boolit Master

If it is a pristine collector grade, leave it alone. If it is beat up work gun, have at it! You ain't gonna hurt it! I recently picked up a Fox SXS in rough condition that someone shortened the barrels on.(24 inches) I got it cheap (I won't say how much, but CHEAP) I love it! I'm shooting skeet with it now and bustin' birds like crazy! Who knows? I may clean it up and have it reblued! Or I may keep it just as it is. All I care about is that it is a great shooter, and refinishing it won't hurt it a bit!

I have several old classic rifles that are mechanical & bore 99%. They were reblued probably before I was born,
    1950. They were working rifles and not collector items in the day they were redone. The blur between shooters and collector items is a factor of the net. I will buy these type guns in a heartbeat but not at collector item prices. I don't have any for sale but am always asked if I would sell at ranges. The first thing brought up is reblue or D&T for sight that wasn't original. Then comes some low ball offer because it's not original. I just say
    you wouldn't want this gun with such obvious glitches so we might as well forget it. They ain't collector grade but they ain't $100 bucks either. I have quite a few rifles in original condition with various amounts of wear. They are all good mechanical & bore. I haven't one that would rate into 90% and up range. When I see like condition guns at shows they are wearing prices that are in upper 90% of book. This is because people are paying these prices. I am happy with my shooters. If they were collector grade I wouldn't be dragging them around the woods. I have S&W revolvers NIB from 50s-60s and I don't shoot them. I have sold a few of them and plan to
    sell or trade the others for guns I feel ok with shooting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by double8 View Post
    Here's the one I haven't re-done............1902 Winchester 1886 45-70 Xtra Lightweight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70 -1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	237937
    This one might be a different story? Where I come from you could proly sell that one and turn it into two same only new - modern steel that would stand almost anything you can load in it with - new finish etc - if you are primarily a shooter maybe you flip it but do that knowing you never get it back .

Some people think "stock" is the only way.

So in my OP if it's still not in the original box. With the wrap on it. No one cares.

Great looking gun

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Handsome looking rifle. Very nice specimen of a: saddle carbine.
    If receiver lines are sharp not rolled due to over aggressive buffing and its engraving is crisp top to bottom of its lettering?
    The rifle will loose little value in the eyes of a non-collector.
    If the rifle spent most of its life in its factory shipping container {un-fired.} That condition certainly would garner a collectors look-see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast