Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you think I ruined it?

Boolit Master
    It's a great looking Winchester just the way you want it . Have fun with your gun!!!

Boolit Master
    Stuff only has collector value when I buy and has none when I sell even on the same day.

Beautiful gun enjoy it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Looks great! Shoot it . . enjoy it . . . if it ever is sold, the buyer will determine if you "destroyed" it but if you did . . . then why would a buyer want it? You did a nice job . . be proud of it and have fun!

I've been trying as hard as I can my entire life to wear out original '86 Winchesters and an 1884 TD, and just can't seem to wear them out! I had to replace the "S" hook in one '86 Win. and an ejector spring, so I guess I actually wore something out, so heck, I guess that one is no longer in "original" condition. Well, heck! Can't sleep at nights now...

As to rebluing, fixing stuff that break, etc., on old guns, I have to agree with all who have responded by saying it's your gun, please yourself. We're not talking about the very last of a kind here. If given the money, I'd have my '86 given to me by my dad completely rebuilt/refurbished to like new condition. In a heartbeat. It means a lot to me that he gave it to me in 1966 when I was 13 years old, and I think it would be just neat as heck to turn it back to 1891 or so when it was made. Every time I shoot that gun it makes me think of the many times we went to the range with that gun, so what do I care what others following me think of what I had done. It is not a "last of a kind" My dad can't see now and he can't hear either. But I think he would be **** proud to see that thing in 1891 brand new condition again! Heck with the collector value! Again, JMHO. Never have that kind of money anyway, so I'm must saying... I could buy another original '86 for what that rebuild would cost! Ha! While all of this is just talk, I really love the way this gun looks anyway. Time worn, but loving life as a shooter!

All of the above is JMO, and others can disagree, but it looks like in this thread there are many who would agree with me. I'm glad the OP reblued his rifle. Many years of pleasure for having done so!

Boolit Grand Master

Do you like it? Then it's not "ruined".

If you were going to resell it then the value is diminished as it's not an original collectors. To me raised hunting deer in the swamps of the North East, it's set up to do just that and if a good price I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    To me you can't restore a gun to original. You can only restore to look like orignal. Once it is worn and used it has lost it's origanality

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123