Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication PBcastco
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash cams for our private vehicle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Found a review of the Yi. Now when are they going to include a usb power port on top of the dash?

I've got one in my dash on my new International. Plug my phone into it. Also have one on the radio.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

I've been scheming how I could wire one up on the roof near the mirror on my F150.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    We invested as well, I believe the one in my truck is a wheelwitness model from amazon, not sure what is in the wife’s car. Mine has a gps module and the supporting software will play the video along with a route map, speed weather, and a bunch of other capabilities. Mostly for the reasons listed above, here in Virginia just south of DC we tend to find a lot of inattentive drivers.

It also forces me to be mindful of speed, paying attention to the road and surroundings and defensive driving. In our mind it would be hard to use any video as evidence when I’m misbehaving.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was looking for one that records front and rear, and could also be used as a back-up camera.
    So many of them, but all way to expensive for me.
    Those small, cheap, box one's at walmart look interesting.

Helmet cam... I wish I could have had one on my head for several foolish events I managed to survive as a younger man... I've only got memories and no raw footage!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nseries View Post
    Helmet cam... I wish I could have had one on my head for several foolish events I managed to survive as a younger man... I've only got memories and no raw footage!!!
    LOL, I believe all of us have done that.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have one in my car. I do occasionally catch some funny stuff.

I will advise that when you get one, buy a solid mount to put on the mirror. Most come with a suction cup mount. They will come loose in hot and cold weather, so it's better to just avoid the problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I too have been thinking about putting one in car when i drive Now that the idiots in Michigan legalized pot it is a even better idea.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    Reason we need things like this, is because people these days have no Honor.
    In the past, if you did something wrong, you fess up to it.
    These days, it's "prove it to me"
    I've seen parked cars getting hit.
    Sometimes the driver get out, looks at their car, and drives off.
    Sometimes, if I see damage, I leave a note with the other cars license number, time , and date.
    My car has been hit a few times, and nothing.
    A camera wouldn't help when parked. It turns on only when the car is running.
    I wonder if there is a camera that will start recording when bumped????

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    There is a million dollar idea for you!
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Most decent dash cams have a sensor that will record when disturbed. The one I have in my commercial vehicle is set up that way.
    It ha "park" mode, which awakens at any disturbance over a certain intensity. That level can be set by the owner.

The more complex dash cams have a great many features, but that makes them less of a "plug and play" item. I spent a lot of time setting my dash cam to do what I wanted. It can even record sounds inside the cab.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Sometimes, if I see damage, I leave a note with the other cars license number, time , and date.
    Yes, there is the one. See my 1st post
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    They are quite common in some countries. Russia has a lot of them; a meteorite was caught on a lot of vehicle cameras in Russia a few years back.

They became popular in Russia because of the police. People get stopped for no other reason but pay.

I don't like a world where people who are not guilty have to prove not being guilty.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine stays on as long as it's plugged into the cigarette lighter.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=abunaitoo;4599613]Reason we need things like this, is because people these days have no Honor.
    [COLOR="#00FFFF"]I wonder if there is a camera that will start recording when bumped????[[/COLOR]/QUOTE]
    What would be great is if it started 15 seconds before.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The one I have you can turn on the motion sensor to take stills when parked.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't think they are a bad idea - I just am not savy enough to know how they work - i.e. - if you have one on your dash, how does it get activated? Do you have to reach up and hit a switch or how do you turn it on? It certainly doesn't run and record all the time you are driving - which could be hours - or does it?

My only thought on it is if you have to reach up and activate it - that takes your attention away from driving just like texting or talking on the phone and could cause you to have an accident as a result.

My wife and I make a 2,000 mile trip twice a year - and it blows my mind how many idiots we see texting and yack yack packing on the cell phone - no call is that important and if it is, then pull over and make the call. What really gets us are the people we see driving with their cruise control on and they are reading a paper or a book! Really? So just how much do the dash cams take of your attention to turn them on or off while you should be concentrating on the road? Not being nasty - I'm curious just how they function in regards to a single driver in the car and how they would be activated in a situation where they would come in handy?

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I don't think they are a bad idea - I just am not savy enough to know how they work - i.e. - if you have one on your dash, how does it get activated? Do you have to reach up and hit a switch or how do you turn it on? It certainly doesn't run and record all the time you are driving - which could be hours - or does it?

My only thought on it is if you have to reach up and activate it - that takes your attention away from driving just like texting or talking on the phone and could cause you to have an accident as a result.

My wife and I make a 2,000 mile trip twice a year - and it blows my mind how many idiots we see texting and yack yack packing on the cell phone - no call is that important and if it is, then pull over and make the call. What really gets us are the people we see driving with their cruise control on and they are reading a paper or a book! Really? So just how much do the dash cams take of your attention to turn them on or off while you should be concentrating on the road? Not being nasty - I'm curious just how they function in regards to a single driver in the car and how they would be activated in a situation where they would come in handy?
    They start when you start the vehicle. They loop record, so are on all the time. If you have an incident you want to save,there is a button you push. Mine saves about three minutes worth.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I got one from Amazon. It was just one of the $40-50 models but it does the job.
    Several of my friends have them too. It comes in handy against any "he said, she said" arguments. It's right there on the video.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I got one from Amazon. It was just one of the $40-50 models but it does the job.
    Several of my friends have them too. It comes in handy against any "he said, she said" arguments. It's right there on the video.
    If you get a chance, please share a model number or link. TIA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast