MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot 357 loads from a rifle length barrel

Boolit Mold

hot 357 loads from a rifle length barrel

i just recently purchased a 20" rossi model 92 in 357 magnum and i'm wondering what kind of loads others have worked up in a rifle length barrel. whats the hottest load you've ever worked up at or near max pressure. saw a guy online the other day with this same gun running 22gr of h110 behind a 150gr horandy xtp getting velocities over 2400 fps!!!!

Boolit Master
    Hornady doesn't make a 150g XTP. They do make a 158g XTP. The Lyman reloading manual in the .357mag rifle loading data section shows a max load of 17.0g of H110, which is the same powder as the W296. Unless you don't like both eyes and ten fingers, don't even think about what you're suggesting. There's no shortage people around willing to challenge Darwin on survival of the fittest, and someone loses every. I'm shooting a .357MAX in a rifle and that load in the Lyman manual for a TC Encore is maxed out at 20.5g of H110. So, are you asking if it's safe to do what you read about someone else doing? The answer is NO.

Boolit Mold
    im not saying its a good idea because it definitely is not i was just using that as an example. i just want to know what other people on here have done in terms of terminal performance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Get a reload manual and follow it. Be safe.

Boolit Master
    As for hot-loading - I usually run into limitations of the cast bullets before reaching max charges. For instance, I powder coated a Lee 358-125-RF and pushed it with 20.3 grains of 300MP and got 2170 fps. 21.0 grains gave me bad leading but 2260 fps. Max for 300MP is 22.3 grains. I am dang satisfied with 2170 fps and a cast bullet, why hot-load that?

Come to think of it, I don't think I really even go up to max on any loads. My leverguns guzzle .357 mags like a frat-boy at a keg party, I couldn't keep up if I had to weigh every charge. By staying under max I'm comfortable just spot-checking a few charges.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 03-13-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Unnecessary comment.

Boolit Grand Master

I loaded the old 200 gr. NEI sillywett boolit ahead of a stiff charge of 296. The load was above what most loading manuals listed but below what most sillywett shooters were using. I do not know how fast it went, and don't really care, because it was absolute death and destruction on hogs. I cast it out of hardball alloy and could not tell you whether or not it expanded as I have never recovered a boolit.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

158gr @1900fps from a 20" Rossi .357 with LilGun was hot enough for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Jacketed bullets are discussed often enough, I shoot both.
    In either case, I've never felt the need to exceed my load manuals. Cast or jacketed .357 out of a carbine at near published max is plenty.
    When I decided I needed more I bought myself a 44.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 03-13-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Removed reference to unnecessary comment
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Jacketed bullets are discussed often enough, I shoot both.
    In either case, I've never felt the need to exceed my load manuals. Cast or jacketed .357 out of a carbine at near published max is plenty.
    When I decided I needed more I bought myself a 44.
    I'm sure many of us shoot both cast and jacketed, I do. And I know the jacketed bullets are discussed, but from what I have observed it is typically in comparison to cast. I.e. discussions of cast bullets approaching jacketed velocities, or cast bullets vs. jacketed expansion, and so forth. It just seemed like the OP only used jacketed as an example, and if the discussion is about just how fast a .357 can be revved up, it seems like jacketed bullets are going to be integral to the discussion. Therefore I thought I would suggest that he may be in the wrong forum for his intended purpose. But if he's wondering what a .357 can do with cast bullets then he's come to the right place. I guess my tone was a little gruf though.

I have same gun I bought last year. I've loaded and shot the xtps at 16 grains of h110 in 357 and it was hot enough for me..... I much prefer a 144gr cast powder coated over about 5 gr of bullseye in a 38spec. Nice easy load to just punch holes. My shoulder likes it too. I'd be very hesitant to go that high in a 357

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    I'm sure many of us shoot both cast and jacketed, I do. And I know the jacketed bullets are discussed, but from what I have observed it is typically in comparison to cast. I.e. discussions of cast bullets approaching jacketed velocities, or cast bullets vs. jacketed expansion, and so forth. It just seemed like the OP only used jacketed as an example, and if the discussion is about just how fast a .357 can be revved up, it seems like jacketed bullets are going to be integral to the discussion. Therefore I thought I would suggest that he may be in the wrong forum for his intended purpose. But if he's wondering what a .357 can do with cast bullets then he's come to the right place. I guess my tone was a little gruf though.
    There is no restriction on what type of bullets can be discussed. Just keep the discussions civil.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Whose specs?

I would encourage you to get the Lyman cast bullet handbook.
    It lists loads for pistol cal. rifles.

Something else to consider when loading up beyond recommendations is what can happen if a few of those
    wild screamers end up in a fairly light weight revolver.

Starting at a max. load and working up is common, so is using unconfirmed data.
    After I blew up a Springfield M1A,,,,,,,, I quit doing it myself.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-14-2019 at 12:50 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would never use a load from an Internet forum, or buddy, that could not be confirmed with manufacturers data.

I believe Hodgdon lists rifle loads for the .357. I suspect maximum velocities will be obtained with slower powders...but they will cause more muzzle blast if you use them in pistols as well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    There is no restriction on what type of bullets can be discussed. Just keep the discussions civil.
    Oh OK then. Carry on.

I guess I'm picked up a mentality from frequenting traditional muzzleloading forums that tend to be strict about limiting content. It's mostly to prevent flame-wars. But I suppose, those problems don't really arise in cast vs. jacketed debates (probably because there is no such thing as a "cast bullet only" deer season).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by theangrydangler View Post
    i just recently purchased a 20" rossi model 92 in 357 magnum and i'm wondering what kind of loads others have worked up in a rifle length barrel. whats the hottest load you've ever worked up at or near max pressure. saw a guy online the other day with this same gun running 22gr of h110 behind a 150gr horandy xtp getting velocities over 2400 fps!!!!
    I'll bet that was a 125 gr bullet. Use a manual.

Banner Sponsor

If Elmer Keith had only used a manual,we would not have the 44mag.

The Rossi 92 in 45 Colt was proof tested by White labs at 50kpsi. I have a Rossi 92 in 357 and had a similar thought, so I started with some 296, 2400(not at the same time) and some 180gn cast. I didn't get too far north of the book loads before I got pierced primers.
    I think that wondering what if, and some mild experimentation is a good thing.
    If we didn't have innovators and experimentors, there would not be a 500 Linebaugh sitting in my safe.

Just go slow, watch your primers and be safe.

Boolit Master
    True, but Elmer Keith blew a few guns as well! I've never been a speed demon, slow and steady wins the race. I prefer 180gr. Bullets in 357mag rifle, in my limited testing they seem to work better on deer.

I have an old Lyman manual (covers torn off and don't see the edition) that has some loads we don't use today. However one does have to look at the firearm. Elmer Keith gave us the 44 magnum from what I read, but I really don't care as like stated, he ruined a few guns to do so.

I have a Rossi 357 and use a lot of cast in it. If I want a deer load I use the Federal American Eagle 158 grain soft point jacketed as they have a very high rating in Midway USA as a deer load. Some claim JHP tend to be too much of a good thing. Mainly don't reload deer loads as a box of 50 Federals will last a very long time. Also I am deer rifle poor and really have no need to carry a 357 when I have a very nice 35 Remington, which will safely get 2400 with a 158 grain bullet in a rifle of comparable handiness. The 357, to me, is a great rifle to carry off my tractor or Quad and I load it with moderate loads using a 125 grain cast boolit.

I once got someone upset as I was comparing the 357 to my 32-20 and that person quoted the Buffalo Bore load and said there was no comparison. From his point of view he was correct but from my point of view the 357 is a similar cartridge. Why beat the heck out of a nice rifle when it is so much fun to use the more moderate loads. I enjoy loads between factory 38 specials and 357s. A 125 grain being pushed at 14-1600 fps is a pleasure to shoot. Again, if I want power I will use a 30-30 lever. If I lived where straight case were all permitted for deer would get a 44 mag or use my 38-55. 357 will work on deer but far better cartridges exist. For home defense I would consider 125 or 158 grain JHPs.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I have an old Lyman manual (covers torn off and don't see the edition) that has some loads we don't use today. However one does have to look at the firearm. Elmer Keith gave us the 44 magnum from what I read, but I really don't care as like stated, he ruined a few guns to do so.

I have a Rossi 357 and use a lot of cast in it. If I want a deer load I use the Federal American Eagle 158 grain soft point jacketed as they have a very high rating in Midway USA as a deer load. Some claim JHP tend to be too much of a good thing. Mainly don't reload deer loads as a box of 50 Federals will last a very long time. Also I am deer rifle poor and really have no need to carry a 357 when I have a very nice 35 Remington, which will safely get 2400 with a 158 grain bullet in a rifle of comparable handiness. The 357, to me, is a great rifle to carry off my tractor or Quad and I load it with moderate loads using a 125 grain cast boolit.

I once got someone upset as I was comparing the 357 to my 32-20 and that person quoted the Buffalo Bore load and said there was no comparison. From his point of view he was correct but from my point of view the 357 is a similar cartridge. Why beat the heck out of a nice rifle when it is so much fun to use the more moderate loads. I enjoy loads between factory 38 specials and 357s. A 125 grain being pushed at 14-1600 fps is a pleasure to shoot. Again, if I want power I will use a 30-30 lever. If I lived where straight case were all permitted for deer would get a 44 mag or use my 38-55. 357 will work on deer but far better cartridges exist. For home defense I would consider 125 or 158 grain JHPs.

DEP
    Good and intelligent post.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast