Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1917 Winchester enfield project

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

1917 Winchester enfield project

I had it up for sale because I thought the receiver was drilled and tapped. It’s not so now it’s a keeper. My buddy inherited it about 2 decades ago with a cracked stock. I just bought a house at the time that had a loose enfield stock in the wall. I of course butchered it per his request since he has no money at the time to make him a modern looking deer hunting rifle in his eyes. Found a Timney trigger on blow out at gander for $29 and installed it along with a B square mount. The old stock set sadly was tossed.

Well he bought a Ruger American 30-06 this past fall to replace it after all these years and I ended up trading him for a pair of warne rings I got for free, some trigger and bolt work, and installing and bore sighting his new gun...and another $20 out of my pocket for it. So I’m into it for practically nothing so far. I remembered taking some of the hardware off years ago. He brought the bag of goodies over this morning. Looks like all I need is a wood stock set and I’m back to original issue! Am I missing anything else?
    Anyone have a lead on a stock set that won’t brake the bank?

It’s the Winchester in the middle. I was given the other two 303’s but imo they are too far gone for me to mess with. The top is drilled and tapped wearing a Williams peep sight and the other has modern sights tapped into it.

Boolit Master

Try Numrich Arms for the complete stock set. I got a set from them 35yrs ago. Hopefully they still have some left.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

im guessing you will have to pay dearly for a correct W marked stock, and matching handguards. pretty good ding in value with an incorrect stock on it.

Banned
    Great project to save a classic.

Parts are back on. I just want it to look like it did when it was issued more than numbers matching “w” on it.

f

My plan is to maybe trade one of the 303’s for a stock.

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards,

I may have a P-17 stock on my heap someplace in the barn. If I do, you may need it more than I do at age 74. I have no interest is a "Sporterized" military arm. As a serious military arms collector, I prefer to swap for web gear, slings, clips, etc. If I find a complete P-17 stock, I will send you a PM.

Adam

Thanks Adam! I’m way beyond the sporter days myself.

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards,

You seem to have all the component hardware to rebuilt a military P-17. All you need is a stock and the two handguards.

Adam

In Remembrance

Check with the CMP. They have parts and occasionally stock sets for the M1917 rifle.

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards,

I checked the barn and could not locate a P-17 stock among the heap of stuff. Sorry.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Found a stock here: https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...idCategory=108

front and rear handguards here: https://www.brpguns.com/9-12-front-a...handguard-set/

Found a stock for another guy here a couple years back, they are not too common now and even repro's are a seasonal type of item, it seems.

Thanks for the replies. I think I want a Winchester stock to keep it original. I haven’t found one yet of course. Found a few Eddystone so far.

Boolit Master

They are out there if you hunt long and hard. The stock and handguards are the toughies to rebuilding a 1917 Enfield. The last stock I saw (original very good plus went for $250.00 without the handguards.

Boolit Master
    I had my Grandfather's old Eddystone he carried in France. It was pretty much original. Just this last year passed it on to one of my Grandsons. Good to keep things like that in the family.

Found one! Winchester marked! They had it listed on eBay with a buy it now for $329 plus $25 shipping and I haggled with them and bought it for a $195 shipped last week. I don’t believe it was issued as the buttplate and sling swivel screws went in hard and has to be backed out several times and I soaped them to get flush. Maybe the wood just swelled from sitting around without an action in it for the last 102 years? It was an estate sale find as I was told so someone must have passed. At least it found a home and good use. The hole in the front barrel band was a hair small and off. I had to open it a hair. I also found both front and rear “W” marked hand guards. An unissued front on eBay for $29 shipped and a rear from a member on gun forums for $35. I believe they are going to be a lot light lighter. I’ll know when they come this week. The stock had a shine. It came off with the heat of my hands. I’m guessing wax? These “W” stocks are like four leaf clovers I’m finding. It’s the third one I’ve seen for sale on line since last fall. The others have sold in the high 3’s...close to $400 accept fro a cracked receiver that went for $220 last week I would have thrown out if were mine. Even the more common Eddystone stocks have been selling in the $300 mark on eBay. Guess I got lucky. At the rate the stocks are selling for I’m guessing my...and your rifles will be worth the $2,000 plus mark in the next couple years. I see three buy it now Winchester enfields on GB for $2,500. Rediculious!

g

The long branch on the bottom I re blued and finished the wood. It looks like new. You can see it in some of my old posts.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-16-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    I had my Grandfather's old Eddystone he carried in France. It was pretty much original. Just this last year passed it on to one of my Grandsons. Good to keep things like that in the family.
    Family guns are the best and cannot be replaced at any price!

I just stained my unissued hand guard today. I started with three coats of dark oak. It was still way to light in color. I then grabbed some black shoe dressing and let it soak for a minute and wiped it off. I then applied a dab at a time and scrubbed it with a toothbrush so it looked like dark old dirt Build up to match the rest of the stock. What do you think. Close Hugh?

Before I stained the front hand guard this morning...

After the stain and black shoe dressing. It’s the one on the bottom. It’s almost a perfect match the the original, untouched fish on the top hand guard it sits next to...

I’m sure after it ages a little it won’t look as fresh. I did rub it with boiled linseed oil after the picture and then rubbed it dry with the heat of my hand. Some of the shoe dressing came off but it still matches pretty darn good.

Tomorrow after the front hand guard dries I’ll put the M1917 back together.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-20-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Very good! Nice match.

I forgot I’m missing the rear sling loop yet. I’ll have to find one and a reproduction sling for it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast