Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: I hunted this Rock Chuck for over a year, I got him.

Boolit Master

I hunted this Rock Chuck for over a year, I got him.

I saw a chuck at a neighbors farm that was real light colored, I called him the Grizzle Chuck. I had permission to hunt the other side of the fence but not on the farm he was on. I got permission this year and yesterday I went after him.
    I started out hunting the barn and shot four in the barn.

The temperature warmed up a bit and I headed to the spot where he hung out.

I sat there for almost two hours. I passed on some smaller chucks that came out. I didn't want to spook the grizzle chuck.
    When he came out he just poked his head above the dirt at 35 yards. I set the come up on the tactical scope and sent it. At the shot I knew it was a good hit but a lot of the time they do a death twitch and fall back down the hole. I don't reach in to try to get them out.
    I waited and watched the hole for a few minutes to make sure he didn't come back up. I walked to the hole and there he was. My shoe size is 13" I didn't get to weigh him but he was a old bull. I put another big one up against him to show color and size.

Boolit Master
    Nice story and pics Ron, but what you got to look forward to until elk season?
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Nice Job.... he's a big'un alright....

Bob

Thanks for the story and photos. Looks like you had a good time. Can you tell me a little about your rifle? Not ever having hunted these varmints, and looking at your photos, I guess you were inside a blind? Once you set it up, how long does it take the chucks to lose caution? I know you said you were there 2 hours -- is that about average?

Boolit Grand Master
    I miss chuckin'. As a kid I was out every weekend. Now I don't have a good place to go. Couple around my farm a year, but that's about it. Just put a scope on my Marlin lever action .22 mag, so I'm ready . That's a nice one you got there. Special nice since you hunted that particular chuck.

Since he doesn't need it anymore, take his shirt off, it'll make a nice hat.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    That's a wall hanger for sure!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    Nice story and pics Ron, but what you got to look forward to until elk season?
    About 200 more of these and maybe some squirrels.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Thanks for the story and photos. Looks like you had a good time. Can you tell me a little about your rifle? Not ever having hunted these varmints, and looking at your photos, I guess you were inside a blind? Once you set it up, how long does it take the chucks to lose caution? I know you said you were there 2 hours -- is that about average?
    Yes I do most of my hunting in a blind. The length of time depends. After the little ones come out I bet I don't have to wait more than about 5 or 10 minutes. Later in the season it might take an hour.
    This guy I waited almost 2 hours for him but there were two others that came up in that time frame, I passed them to get this one. A lot of the time they can't hear the gun so they don't go down. In this area with the barn they can hear the gun better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Can you tell me a little about your rifle?
    My rifle is an Air Arms TX200 .22 cal. I have a Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 on it with BKL rings. This rifle is sighted in out to 100 yards but most of my shots are under 60 yards. I use H&N Field Target Trophy 14.66 gr 22 cal.

Thanks for the info. It looks like a fun (and useful) hobby/sport. I've got a budding interest in air rifles, but haven't taken the plunge yet. No chucks around here, but lots of targets!