Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Peep sight inerfereing with hammer

Boolit Grand Master

Peep sight inerfereing with hammer

I have a question that I can't find posted anywhere. I have a Williams peep sight on a TC Renegade right hand rifle. I have my sight mounted just ahead of the rear screw. I see lots of people put theirs dead center between the front and rear screws, and I believe the sight was intended to use the rear tang screw (screwed only into the stock). I liked the idea of both screws firmly into metal better. My front sight is the Williams globe sight with the low base. The load I was shooting yesterday was a round ball and 60 grains FF powder, so relatively light. To sight in centered at 50 yards, the rear sight is raised about 3/4 of the way up on the scale. This is not a huge problem to me, It would not be any big deal to make a spacer, if I wanted more range. Plus I expect heavier bullets to hit higher. I did put this gun together with the hopes of non-formal target shooting. I'd love to be able to turn the rear sight up to be dead on at up to 600 yards.

Anyway, the real problem. When adjusted just 3/4 of the way up, my hammer is hitting the sight. I can fully cock it, but any higher, and I will not be able to. It looks like there is room to remove some material from the sight, which is my first thought. Has anyone had this problem before, and how did you fix it? A shorter front globe sight, if such a thing exists, may help, but I feel like I should be able to get most of the adjustment from the sight without interference.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-11-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

No kidding, 15 seconds after writing this, I may have thought of the answer. It wouldn't be hard at all for me to make a spacer that screws into the holes I drilled and tapped, and make a second set on the spacer so that it sits farther back where it was originally supposed to. It would also raise the sight, fixing the second problem. I would have to remove the sight to remove the tang, but that seems worth it to be able to have two screws into metal.

I haven't run into your problem but have torched and bent hammer Spurs to clear scopes on TC Hawkin & Renegades.

Boolit Master
    The rear sight is supposed to be mounted in the rear tang hole and the small tapped hole in the middle of the tang. You probably have the sight too far forward. T/C also had various shaped hammers. Straight spur, curved spur, bent toward the right to move away from a scope. I think your problem is the position of the peep sight on the tang. Did you buy this new in the box or used? Is it the correct sight for the gun? There are also different tangs. I believe the Renegade tang is just for a 1 inch barrel though. Hawken uses 15/16 and 1 inch. Check to see if moving the sight back to the rear tang hole will cure your problem. Front stock sight usually will work. Good luck.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    You don"t have the correct sight for that yardage ,A shorter front (Lyman globe) comes to mind . But the rear sight is not near enough ,call Williams tomorrow and ask them for advice on your requirements . My TC tang sight gets me to 300yds and thats with a GM 45 barrel 1-28 twist shooting paper patched RCBS 44-370-FN boolit ,still working on 400 (think I too need a new sight) Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    The rear sight is supposed to be mounted in the rear tang hole and the small tapped hole in the middle of the tang. You probably have the sight too far forward. T/C also had various shaped hammers. Straight spur, curved spur, bent toward the right to move away from a scope. I think your problem is the position of the peep sight on the tang. Did you buy this new in the box or used? Is it the correct sight for the gun? There are also different tangs. I believe the Renegade tang is just for a 1 inch barrel though. Hawken uses 15/16 and 1 inch. Check to see if moving the sight back to the rear tang hole will cure your problem. Front stock sight usually will work. Good luck.
    Bob
    As I said, the instructions want you to use the rear tang hole. The idea of one tiny hole into steel, and the rear supported by a glorified deck screw, now with 1/4" less threads into wood, doesn't make me feel good. It is real common practice to mount these sights dead center of the two tang screws. I am using the FP-Hawken sight, the correct sight for this rifle

I called Williams, the guy was less than enthusiastic. One unrelated issue with the sight is the elevation adjustment screw is too short. Look at a picture, you can clearly see a scale on the side of the sight. The screw only gets you half way up before running out of length. At that point I just took the screw out, and have been moving the elevation by hand. This sight has a lockdown, so it works this way. Still, after stating this, the guy says "the scale is just for reference". Well no ****, but why would you paint a whole scale and it only moves half way. On the question of the hammer, the guy said the same thing, mount it in the rear hole.

I have no way of knowing if I will have adjustments to 600 yards. I only say that far, as that's the longest area I commonly shoot at. If maxed out is 300, so be it. It's only for fun anyway.

Boolit Master
    I added a spacer to my Hawken.

I have it sighted in out to 300 and think I can get out to at least 500 with my set up. I did bend my hammer. I heated it up and slipped a piece of small pipe over it and moved it to where I wanted it.

The shorter front Lyman globe would be the Lyman 17 AHB.

Boolit Grand Master

That's exactly what I'm thinking to make. I'd rather leave my hammer as-is. I shoot left handed, and it works just fine as it is. Bent to the right, it would become a right handed only gun.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Sometimes a little ingenuity goes a long way.

Boolit Grand Master

That should do the trick. I made this out of steel, and will try to blue it later. The tang screws are still fully into wood, the spacer has two screws into steel, and the sight has two screws into the steel spacer. Plenty of room for the hammer now. The spacer is .200", which I hope will give me plenty of adjustment.