Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inspired

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Quite possibly nobody will be save. There may be no life after death. Might be everyone will see some sort of life after death. Who believes in purgatory? Maybe we will be saved of we die killing infidels.

Tim
    OK. Let's go with this. Now do you think these matters are to be considered lightly? Or should they be taken with utmost seriousness and consideration?

Boolit Master
    They should be seriously considered but with the understanding that we don't get to know all the answers. Sometimes you just have to live life with uncertainty. I would rather have doubts and believe a lie

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    They should be seriously considered but with the understanding that we don't get to know all the answers. Sometimes you just have to live life with uncertainty. I would rather have doubts and believe a lie

Tim
    OK. We agree. I would even go so far as to say these questions should give one major pucker-factor because the stakes could be high, really high.

I wouldn't approach it with any pre-conceived notions. Maybe you can't know, maybe you can. How do you find out?

Boolit Master
    We have been given the tools to know for sure. His word,fellowship with believers, and most importantly prayer. Only threw prayer and asking will we receive understanding. It all starts with the faith of a child
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Buddy
    Yes we can know. And here is one of the tools- 1st John 5:11-13.

Boolit Master
    And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
    12 Whoever possesses the Son has life; whoever does not possess the Son of God does not have life.13 I write these things to you so that you may know that you have eternal life, you who believe in the name of the Son of God.
    I'm sorry but I don't find this rationale very convincing.

Rather I think you have to live with some uncertainty, but the more you live out God's commandments the stronger your faith in it grows. But there's always that horrible "what if?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't find this rationale very convincing.
    Don't be sorry, your rationale is quite common in non-believers.

Rather I think you have to live with some uncertainty, but the more you live out God's commandments the stronger your faith in it grows.
    "Faith" as you use it, tends to be a bit faltering but it isn't the blind, mind numbed faith non-believers presume. Swap "trust" for "faith" and you'll be getting closer to what we believe. Trust is something we gain and grow in as we experience faithfulness in our God's promises; we are like a child growing in trust that his father will do him good. The more we experience God's trust worthyness the more we grow in faith. Is it not obvious that reasonable new believers do often have doubts that will lessen with experience when God shows his dependability?

But there's always that horrible "what if?"
    That's a common article of faith in non-believers but no, there isn't a horrible, "What if?", not if we have really been paying attention to our lives.

In our worst experiences - and ours are just as "bad" as yours - the most experienced of us have an unexplainable (to you) faith and inner peace because God has long displayed his trust worthiness.

Try it, I think you'll like it!

Boolit Master
    "Jesus answered and said to them, 'Do not grumble among yourselves. No one can come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.'" John 6:43-44 (N.A.S.B.)

The thing about this discussion is this; if the Bible is not true, Christians have lost nothing. If the Bible is true, those who die apart from faith in Christ as Savior and Lord have lost everything.

God loves you, Christ died for you, that you might spend eternity in heaven with Him. Don't wait, ask Jesus into your heart today. You may not have another chance.

exile
    Last edited by exile; 05-03-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Don't be sorry, your rationale is quite common in non-believers.

"Faith" as you use it, tends to be a bit faltering but it isn't the blind, mind numbed faith non-believers presume. Swap "trust" for "faith" and you'll be getting closer to what we believe. Trust is something we gain and grow in as we experience faithfulness in our God's promises; we are like a child growing in trust that his father will do him good. The more we experience God's trust worthyness the more we grow in faith. Is it not obvious that reasonable new believers do often have doubts that will lessen with experience when God shows his dependability?

That's a common article of faith in non-believers but no, there isn't a horrible, "What if?", not if we have really been paying attention to our lives.

In our worst experiences - and ours are just as "bad" as yours - the most experienced of us have an unexplainable (to you) faith and inner peace because God has long displayed his trust worthiness.

Try it, I think you'll like it!
    Well I do believe in Christ Jesus. I pretty much agree that faith is synonymous with trust. And that was exactly what I was getting at when I asked "how do you find out?" You come to know by taking a chance on Christ. But it is part of being human to always have that gnawing what if. Atheists would have the same gnawing question . . . what if?

Boolit Master
    Well I do believe in Christ Jesus.
    Seems a lot of people say they "believe in Christ Jesus" in that they believe he came and died and left a league of dedicated followers that have impacted world history. But we're told the demons "believe" ... and tremble because they refuse to trust him as Lord so their belief gains them nothing (James 2:19).

Biblical belief (Jn 3:16) includes the locked-in meanings of TRUST IN, CLINGS TO, RELIES ON, SUBMITS TO the one who is believed in. Sadly, a LOT of people fail to commit to that kind of belief (Mt 7:21-23)

But it is part of being human to always have that gnawing what if. Atheists would have the same gnawing question . . . what if?
    I can't answer a question like, "What if we're wrong?" That would be like asking, "What I would do if it turns out the world is flat?" I just can't take seriously or argue silly hypotheticals that are based on delusions.

Atheists should be gnawed on. After all, they're betting a lot on their blind belief system. But, I've been a Christian for some 60 years and I still don't know any committed and experienced Christians who are so gnawed; our world is a ball and Jesus is real.

Boolit Master
    "Now when John in prison heard of the works of Christ, he sent word by his disciples, and said to Him, 'Are You the Expected One, or shall we look for someone else?' And Jesus answered and said to them, 'Go and report to John what you hear and see: the BLIND RECEIVE SIGHT and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the POOR HAVE THE GOSPEL PREACHED TO THEM. And blessed is he who keeps from stumbling over Me.'" Matthew 11:2-6 (N.A.S.B.)

"Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand." Matthew 13:13 (N.A.S.B.)
    Last edited by exile; 05-05-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Moderator Emeritus

As to what's the best way to learn Christianity and Christian principles, without doubt I'd say that the absolute BEST is leaned by example. When you're around someone who obviously exudes Christianity (not just the "talk," but the "walk"), do you not tend to automatically curb your own words and deeds??? Next best is to see someone paying for breaking God's laws. One does not provoke God for eternity! Next best is to read and study until you reach an epiphany of understanding, and suddenly and mysteriously KNOW something without doubt. The rest is a hodge podge of our own efforts, our observations of others, and just plain ol' common sense applied to all that we see and do. Examples of the veracity of the Biblical principles are all around us, if we lift the scales from our eyes and just recognize them for what they are. Modern man is awfully good at fooling him or her self though. Mighty good! Most often, they allow themselves to "see" ONLY what they WANT to see. And therein lies the difficulty of trying to communicate with them. If they don't LIKE what you say, they just discount it and make a joke out of it ..... even when it's deadly serious. There's always been a great danger in making THIS world a little TOO comfortable for us to continue taking serious things seriously. Look around today. Listen to your TV. People everywhere are taking light things seriously, serious things lightly, and confusing themselves by their own design and intent. And all just to "be able to think what they want to think." Mercy! As Shakespeare wrote, "What fools these mortals be!"

Boolit Master
    OK. We agree. I would even go so far as to say these questions should give one major pucker-factor because the stakes could be high, really high.

I wouldn't approach it with any pre-conceived notions. Maybe you can't know, maybe you can. How do you find out?
    Finding out is a journey. You keep an open mind and do a lot studying.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123