Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspired

Inspired

I started a thread or two, and made several posts on other’s threads in this forum, basically questioning the need to refer to the Bible for the basis of your own morality. I feel it’s in your heart...at least it is for me. No doubt i’ve offended a few, but have also found many who agree.

That being said, I am now motivated to actually do a bit of research...yep...actually read the Bible! ...or at least passages that my research directs me toward. I’m pretty sure I won’t be spouting out relevant passages on que, but I hope to have a better understanding when those that do, do.

BTW, this is my ideaof how one teaches. You don’t jamb info down someone’s throat and insist it’s the only truth. You present relevant information, ask relevant questions, motivate someone to ask their own questions, then suggest a direction in which those questions can be answered. I think this is how Jesus taught through his parables. Someone asked a question of him. He answered it with a story, compellong the one asking to find his own answer within that story.( don’t go nuts on me if this isn’t accurate. It works for me)

So, thanks to all who challenged me.
    Last edited by 468; 03-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    in my opinion the bible is sort of a meta analysis of story's portraying the proper way to be in the world. I wouldn't say these things can only come from the bible. but on the complete flipside I'm not sure what a person would be like who hasn't been shown any way to be. study's on such would likely be limited as its not the most ethical thing. usually people who haven't been shown a proper way have been shown a bad way. but a blank slate who haven't been shown either would be ??? I heard of a few cases of people who were actually isolated enough for such a thing and were studied after but I didn't look into it.

but back to my earlier point, I've heard it said that the bible is very similar to the harry potter series as far as what they're actually saying. im assuming lots of people like both for the same reason, being they show someone carrying themselves properly. then if you took the harry potter story and enough other story's that people agree with, and combine them into one book, you would have yourself a bible, practically speaking. at least in my opinion as a random meathead with a keyboard.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    ... in my opinion the bible is sort of a meta analysis of story's portraying the proper way to be in the world. .... then if you took the harry potter story and enough other story's that people agree with, and combine them into one book, you would have yourself a bible, practically speaking....
    Good humanistic philosophy, bad spiritual theology; no matter what we think or do, none of us are or can ever be "good" enough to earn a spot in heaven. That's why Jesus went to the cross for each of us, he did what we cannot do.

Take the cross and life of Jesus out of it and in the final analysis it will hardly matter what philosophy we live by. ONLY a recognition of our helplessly imperfect moral state and submitting ourselves to Jesus as savior and lord will gain us a prepaid entrance ticket to heaven. THEN the good acts of our lives will prove (not gain!) that we have truly been spiritually born again as God's children. Not yet perfect children by any means but we'll sure have a changed outlook.

Don't know what you've read but I've read the Potter series and I've read the Bible; I see no correlation between them. One is a historical series of stories of real people and the other is an interesting series of make believe children living weird fantisies.

IF anyone only has time to read through one, read the Bible, not Potter.

Boolit Master

Take a look at your original post. You mention your "own morality". Be careful about determining your own morals. If you were to walk down a prison and ask if the convisted felon did anything wrong I expect the majority would say no and nearly all could justify their actions.
    I ask you this question. What person or book or series of books would give you perfect morals to live by? And then who would be the judge if they were correct? Also would these morals change over time?
    While there may be many ways to determine correct morals in part of your life I believe the Bible is the only complete source of morals. What are the downsides of living a life according to the Bible?
    Besides what other book claims to have the power of resurection and several examples of it? Others claim that power but what book has survived the test of time?
    What book has more people died over to preserve it?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    If you don't take the bible as written then whats the point. Eather its real or it ain't. I have a sister who goes to church every sunday and discusses wether the stories were even true. I admit i am not as religious as i should be but if you don't take the bible literally then why read it at all you may as well read the funnies.

Boolit Master

Thank you last 3 posters, saved me some writing. Not by any means judging OP because if you read or are reading the Bible you are on the road! The Bible is "God's word". Can't believe some of it and not the other. I'd rather believe "66" books than have end up having that 3rd "6".
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    I see no way of any harm coming to you from reading the Bible .

Boolit Master
    I stand by everything I said, we were only talking about where morals come from so I gave my random thoughts on that, not whether Jesus is gonna save you or not that wasn't the subject. I seem to be the only one with a concept of "moral of the story" fiction or not pretty much all stories are saying the same things.

Boolit Master

There are so many perceptions of "morals". There are so many perceptions of the "afterlife" also. How to get there?, will I be re-incarnated?, how long is purgatory?, will there just be darkness until the great throne of judgment? What to do, what to do? I can only expressly share my own experiences notwithstanding the experiences I've witnessed of others. People always look for peace, truth and a more "upright" way of living, trying to devise ways to statutorily structure their lives and just simply live by "morals".

Oh, and then someone says something about the "Bible" and what "Jesus" said and then they get "leery" or "defensive". (I'm not directing this at anyone here I promise! Just talking...) Here is the deal, IF and only IF you believe Christ died for your sins (and this is no Disney movie) and that God wrote the "good book", and that there IS a Heaven and a Hell (Satan is real and knows the Bible better than Billy Graham did), then, and only then can a person be "born again, saved, redeemed, forgiven, reconciled, have their name written in the "Lamb's Book of Life", baptized (whatever term you wish to use).

Here's the kicker. This is not like a lifetime membership to NRA. OR getting paid from PCH for the rest of your life. This is guarantee and assurance that a person will have everlasting life and spend eternity in Heaven! But as I did, one must have to "experience" this themselves. (June of 1976). No life wasn't and isn't ever going to be perfect, but I know have the right tools for the job!

Jesus told his disciples to "go be fishers of men", so that's all I'm doing is witnessing-not judging! Happy casting!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Oh, and then someone says something about the "Bible" and what "Jesus" said and then they get "leery" or "defensive". (I'm not directing this at anyone here I promise! Just talking...) Here is the deal, IF and only IF you believe Christ died for your sins (and this is no Disney movie) and that God wrote the "good book", and that there IS a Heaven and a Hell (Satan is real and knows the Bible better than Billy Graham did), then, and only then can a person be "born again, saved, redeemed, forgiven, reconciled, have their name written in the "Lamb's Book of Life", baptized (whatever term you wish to use).
    Wow, quite a prescription for salvation.
    Lots of "ands" and "ands"....
    Pretty much rules out everyone on earth that isn't a Christian.
    Nah,.....I don't think so.

Boolit Master
    RIZZO, who and what other way would you have someone follow to be saved?

Boolit Master
    I had a hard time committing to reading the bible on a regular bases. Until I started reading the book of acts. Not that there is any more are any less truth in that book, it just seamed to flow better for me.

Another suggestion,is as you are trying to search out your understanding, first pray ask for God to show you what it is you need to see. Also back up what it is you have found a good cross reference bible to me is better then a commentary bible. Bible hub app is one I use for cross referencing.

Anyway that's some things that have helped me.

Just to give you somthing to think about. I will say this on cherry picking scripture, you can make the bible say just about anything you want. In my opinion it's why there are so many different doctrines. I personally think the bible needs to be read as a hole ( jmho) I know people who just chase scripture as I had said, following the cross referencec method. the only wrong way to read the bible is to not read it at all. We all read reloading manuals right....we don't just start dumping powder in a case and see what happens
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    RIZZO, who and what other way would you have someone follow to be saved?
    Saved from what?
    Your question indicates to me that you feel that there is no other way to know God, unless you are a Christian.
    There are other beliefs/religions out there that also love God and also describe how to get to Him.

People can follow whoever they want to. I just do not believe that the Christian path is the only path.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    Saved from what?
    Your question indicates to me that you feel that there is no other way to know God, unless you are a Christian.
    There are other beliefs/religions out there that also love God and also describe how to get to Him.

People can follow whoever they want to. I just do not believe that the Christian path is the only path.
    Saved from a fallen state and reconciled to the supreme creator of all and the collective destruction in the end.
    I don't "feel", I KNOW, that through Jesus Christ (a Christian) IS the only way to God. Yes, there are other religions and beliefs about knowing God, and all are indeed entitled to their feelings and beliefs, as are you.
    I would like to hear you make the case for how you are assured you are correct in your assumption that there are many other ways? What I believe is irrelevant to the question.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    If you don't take the bible as written then whats the point. Eather its real or it ain't. I have a sister who goes to church every sunday and discusses wether the stories were even true. I admit i am not as religious as i should be but if you don't take the bible literally then why read it at all you may as well read the funnies.
    I fear you are incorrect. The Bible accepts slavery and tells slaves to obey and respect their masters...do you want to that? How about women obeying their husbands? It is there, but modern religion talks around the issue so the ladies do not get upset. Did God create the universe in 6 days? Bible says so...but were they 24 hr days? Some disagreement on that one... The Bible is clear but in some cases. In others, it many need to be "interpreted".

To the OP, morality can be a slippery slope. See my comment above about slavery. Something things are so obvious that no bible is needed. Murder for personal gain or revenge (not sure if "an eye for an eye" applies), rape, stealing, etc etc. Helping those less fortunate, and kindness are universally "good" things to do...do not need a bible to tell us that.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    Saved from what?

What other religion except the teaching of any other religion? Christians get called out as being intolerant,but what religion isn't? Buddisum maby ? But would they except me even though I beleave you can only go to God threw Jesus ? You don't have to believe what I believe but me believeing that Jesus is the way the truth and the life and no one comes to the father but threw him dosent make me intolerant its just makes me a believer
    Last edited by rl69; 03-15-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Saved from a fallen state and reconciled to the supreme creator of all and the collective destruction in the end.
    I don't "feel", I KNOW, that through Jesus Christ (a Christian) IS the only way to God. Yes, there are other religions and beliefs about knowing God, and all are indeed entitled to their feelings and beliefs, as are you.
    I would like to hear you make the case for how you are assured you are correct in your assumption that there are many other ways? What I believe is irrelevant to the question.
    "Saved from a fallen state..."
    This suggests to me that you acknowledge that you were in a different state before you fell.
    What state would that be? One of God's angels that decided to go have some fun in the "material world"?

So, you KNOW that being a Christian IS the only way to God.
    You KNOW this how? God told you? Because you read it in a book?

You ask me how I am assured that I am correct in my assumption that there are other ways to God....other than being a Christian.
    First off, I am not sure of anything on this matter. With respect, I do not think that you are either.
    We are born into a culture (American, Indian, Jewish, African, etc.) that each have different faiths, we read what the good books say, they make sense to us and we build our beliefs on that,.....on what others say.

We all have a God given intuition. A sense of what is right and wrong that guides us.

I was watching "The Story of God - with Morgan Freeman" the other night and in his travels to the different countries that are not Christian it occurred to me that all of those people (hundreds of thousands - millions) that died before Christ are where?
    Apparently they are not with the Father because they did not go through Jesus.
    Intuitively this does not make sense to me.
    This is where I am coming from on that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    What other religion except the teaching of any other religion? Christians get called out as being intolerant,but what religion isn't? Buddisum maby ? But would they except me even though I beleave you can only go to God threw Jesus ? You don't have to believe what I believe but me believeing that Jesus is the way the truth and the life and no one comes to the father but threw him dosent make me intolerant its just makes me a believer
    I understand your point about the intolerant issue.
    Being raised a Catholic we were told not to go to other church services of other "beliefs"
    There seemed to be a built in prejudice there. One would say something like "Oh! See Joe over there?....he's such a nice guy (with a whispered voice then says) ..but you know he is a Mormon don't you?"

So, I do not know if a Muslim would accept you, as a Christian with your different belief system, into their mosque congregation but probably so with the hope of converting you from your wrong ways...in their view.

Yep, as you say, which religion isn't intolerant to some extent? I agree.
    Each belief/religion thinks their way is the correct one, and some have a book to point to in order to support their claims.
    In my view, the way Christians claim that the only way is through Jesus can sound a bit arrogant.
    Everyone else is going to hell, unless you are a Christian, is an undertone to that statement.

At the Pearly Gates, is St. Peter going to say NO to all of God's chosen people (Jews) and point them to the Gates of Hell because they did not change and become Christians?
    Given the Christian belief, apparently so.
    See what I mean?

Boolit Master
    Does Satan have any other tool greater than this? If he can just convince everyone that there are many paths to God's salvation, and it really doesn't matter what road you follow, because they all lead to God after all! O what a wonderful plan!

You still haven't addressed my question as to how you can be so sure you have it figured out, that it don't matter. Christians are told to be ready to give account as to our faith, I'm asking you, please, give account for your faith that it don't matter the road one follows.

Boolit Master
    I do see what you mean,I verry much understand. I don't hate people for not agreeing with me I would never shun anyone for there beliefs.

45.5 GR 4064 is the best load for 165gr barns TSX in my garand. We can talk all day about different loads but at the end of the day 45.5 GR of 4064 is the best load in my garand.

You asked about the people who died before Christ. they were saved threw their faith as we are today as to the Jews who haven't ecepted that Jesus is the missia I don't know I see a case for them to be saved. but I wouldn't bet my salvation on it

<(*)(()><

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast