MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 grain Aguila 22 RF

Boolit Bub

60 grain Aguila 22 RF

Has anyone tried the 60 grain Aguila 22 rf ammo at the longer distances? 200, 300, 400, 500? yds. I have a rifle coming together with hopes that it likes it, but schedules and weather haven't been very cooperative to finish and try it.
    Greg

Boolit Master

In my experience it is very effective ammo for close range shooting. It is somewhat unstable. Making devastating (for caliber) wound channels. Often times makes oval shaped holes in targets. at under 50 yds it is some of the hardest hitting .22 ammo available. Subsonic in my non suppressed grouse sniper rifle is just an added benefit.

Boolit Bub
    I plan to send a few down range from a high wall I built - has a 1:16 twist. You're right, with that velocity it probably won't stabilize at all. I found a barrel in my mix that slugged .2228 and the twist is close to 1:9 so at the slower velocity it should stabilize fairly well. I was hoping someone had tried them in an AR conversion (like a CNMG insert) with the fast twist barrel and they'd share their findings. We had a slight break in the weather a couple weeks ago but time to play was real short, weather is warming but with that we're seeing gale force winds so that's not favorable for testing.

Boolit Master
    MGM told me they would make a 22LR with a 1:9 twist. I had found 10,000 of'em real cheap, but a friend wanted them real bad. So I let him get them, never had the barrel made. That was just before the obummer shortage started to hit supplies. Hope you post a range report of your results. Todd/3leg

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

They would probably work good in an AR with a .22 conversion unit and a 1:9 barrel. Anyone ever try that?
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Holly **** on a cracker....I would think it would feel like a slap on the butt at 200 yards. Too heavy of a boolit and not enough powder. I wouldn't think it would not group worth a darn past a 100 yards.if it would even group descent at a 100 that's is. That round was made for close range thumping. I would check over at the rimfire central forum. I would tell you to buy a 223/5.56 if you want to shoot past a 150 yards yards with accuracy and consistently. I've blown up a few crow at a 150 yards with my 22 WMR vmax but it's 2200 fps Muzzel velocity so it still is cranking pretty good at longer range. A 22lr with a 60 grain boolit is going to almost bounce off one at that range.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-11-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Banned
    My first thought was 200 yards are you joking. If the slug even went that far you would have to aim about 50 foot over the target. It would be interesting to see someone try them with a fast twist barrel but even then too heavy with too little oomph.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Most 22lr rifles wont stabilize that load anyways. It's like throwing rocks at a barn past 40 yards. At 500 yards you'd have to aim at the sun to get it there.lol just trying to get the OP in a reality check. Buy a cheap 223 and some bulk ammo. Probably cheap per bullet anyways and he'll be able to shoot 500 yards half way accurately when the wind isn't blowing.

Most the guys over on rimfire central will tell you they can't shoot better than 2' groups with 60 grain 22 lr Aguila ammo at 30/40 yards. My guess is you wouldn't be ablet to hit minute of barn at a 100 yards...it's not you...it's the ammo. Just not designed for long range shooting. It's made more to shoot a trapped coyote or coon in the head at point blank range for quick dispatching.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-11-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shutinlead View Post
    I plan to send a few down range from a high wall I built - has a 1:16 twist. You're right, with that velocity it probably won't stabilize at all. I found a barrel in my mix that slugged .2228 and the twist is close to 1:9 so at the slower velocity it should stabilize fairly well. I was hoping someone had tried them in an AR conversion (like a CNMG insert) with the fast twist barrel and they'd share their findings. We had a slight break in the weather a couple weeks ago but time to play was real short, weather is warming but with that we're seeing gale force winds so that's not favorable for testing.
    Are you planning to squish the bullets to be fatter for that .228" barrel? If you don't, I in my opinion, you are in for a journey into lead mining country. If you are serious about shooting it...and with accuracy, you could make yourself a tool like Paco Kelleys accurizer ...I say LIKE because those tools only obturate the bullet to .225" You will need to make em .228, .229 or most likely .230" to get good accuracy. If you are set on working with it for accuracy I may be able to help. I reload 22lr with swaged bullets, so I can make them any size I want. I might be able to help you out with the tools to do some serious accuracy experimentation.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Never tried it for long range but it works pretty good in snub nose.

Boolit Master
    I have tried them, They suck in a 16 twist. Might be ok in a 9 twist.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Are you planning to squish the bullets to be fatter for that .228" barrel? If you don't, I in my opinion, you are in for a journey into lead mining country. If you are serious about shooting it...and with accuracy, you could make yourself a tool like Paco Kelleys accurizer ...I say LIKE because those tools only obturate the bullet to .225" You will need to make em .228, .229 or most likely .230" to get good accuracy. If you are set on working with it for accuracy I may be able to help. I reload 22lr with swaged bullets, so I can make them any size I want. I might be able to help you out with the tools to do some serious accuracy experimentation.
    I think you need to go back and re-read the size of the barrel.
    And yes - they will go 200yds.

Accuracy in a 9 T barrel is the question here. Have you tried it? Or just guessing?
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Most 22lr rifles wont stabilize that load anyways. It's like throwing rocks at a barn past 40 yards. At 500 yards you'd have to aim at the sun to get it there.lol just trying to get the OP in a reality check. Buy a cheap 223 and some bulk ammo. Probably cheap per bullet anyways and he'll be able to shoot 500 yards half way accurately when the wind isn't blowing.

Most the guys over on rimfire central will tell you they can't shoot better than 2' groups with 60 grain 22 lr Aguila ammo at 30/40 yards. My guess is you wouldn't be ablet to hit minute of barn at a 100 yards...it's not you...it's the ammo. Just not designed for long range shooting. It's made more to shoot a trapped coyote or coon in the head at point blank range for quick dispatching.
    Throwing rocks with a 16 twist. How about a 9 twist? Any experience? I have not done it so I am not poo-pooing it until I have some real experience.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Chill! I did state this correct guys, NOT .228 but .2228 - that's not quite .223- and the barrel is choked- going from around .2232 with an exit or the last 4" at about .2227 or .2228. I'm not just measuring a slug but I'm also air gaging it- makes it easy to read it in tenths of a thousandths.
    There's a few of us shooting these little guns out to 500 yards with accuracy that will blow your hair back and we're not just plinking, were shooting NRA mid-range targets. I'm not that great of a shot any longer more because of age and my stubbornness not to relinquish iron sights - I make tang sights for a hobby- Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190203_115822.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	237781 but I'm beginning to make copies of vintage scopes and they may bring me back into the ball game. (Chill -I shot the same class (position) only with irons as you at the Cheyenne match in October)

We did shoot a few of these through my Ballard (that's what I put this 1:9 twist barrel on) just as it was getting dark, and temp was close to 0 degrees F. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190301_142724.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	237782 As I mentioned time and weather needs to cooperate a little better. I strapped a Leopold fixed 8 haphazardly to the old chump, I didn't even have a piece of wood on it so it was bagged fore and aft, at 100 yds it showed promise -1 MOA with 5 shots.

Traffer, I recently cut a mold to cast a .225" -65 grain that's based on a Nasa design- bore riding so I don't have to lengthen the throat, and I have several ELEY primed brass so I don't have to mess with the rest of the **** with reloading 22's, but I'm still trying to avoid going down that road... reloading for 22's. I have several other rifles I compete with that require my reloading attention, not wanting this added to the mix. Thanks for the offer though.
    I'm hoping the 60's help me just a little more, the 400 and 500 yard with 40's dished me fits this last year AND if I can buy them off the shelf!?
    Maybe have some more to report after this storm blows through and spring arrives...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180908_222331.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    They would probably work good in an AR with a .22 conversion unit and a 1:9 barrel. Anyone ever try that?
    My son has a CNMG conversion for his Rock River AR and when time and weather permit I'll have him try a group at longer distances... so it's on our agenda.

Super Moderator

..............I bought a brick of the Aguila SSS Super sniper maybe 8-10 years ago? Wasn't very accurate simply because the twists in my 22 RF's are all for 40 gr slugs, but .............. so was an old Savage (Springfield marked) bolt action marked on the bbl same as the others, S, L, LR, but danged if it didn't shoot those 60 gr slugs fairly well. Not as well as the 40 grain bullets, but for some reason a HECKUVA lot better then the others. Checked the twist and it was the same as all the others 12" IIRC.

Simply a 22RF version of the 300 Whisper.

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    Chill Wills, let me clarify also, in Cheyenne we were shooting BPCR then - not 22's.

A few years back when the 22 rf shortage was happening... Aguila was one of the first ammo brands (match) we found re-stocking the shelves so of course we loaded up on it. I didn't have anything that really liked it but it still worked for practice and it helped my diminishing stores of Lapua and RWS. I haven't purchased any since until I discovered this 60 grain stuff. So thanks for the reporting so far.
    Greg

Vendor Sponsor

Hey Greg, Right off the bat, when you stepped up to shoot the mid-range 3-position match last October, I knew you were a good man!

I have had good luck with the case of Aguila 22-Match I got a few years ago during the 22 shortage. One of the marks of good 22 match ammo is will it shoot accurately in your rifle to the 200 meter rams at our 22BPCR matches. Well, the case I have does in the short test I made in both my Ballard and CPA rifles. However, I normally shoot Eley Match at the the long lines and just use the Aguila Match for the 50m and 100m targets, because of not wanting to press my luck, but I do need to take the time to do more testing and really check to see if 100 rounds of Aguila Match out of 100 rounds are really match grade. IMO - That is where the second best ammo falls short of BEST 22 ammo. Meaning you get a small percent flyers.

All that was to say, that the 60 grain stuff may be good, however, as you know, it is not likely made to the best match grade.
    I will be interested in hearing how your fast twist project goes.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-12-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Now I think you're going to make me spend a bit of money on my next mail order... This lo wall I had made with a 14 twist might just like that heavy bullet. It doesn't like the regular Aquila match as well as a couple of my other rifles, but it wasn't totally resentful of it either.. Funny how picky these 22's can be, Carol's lo wall sprays both Lapua ammo like 00 buck out of a 410....
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned
    I hope this doesn't offend any of you guys. I have become kind of a armchair shooter because of my health. I haven't shot a gun in almost 2 years. I just sit at home with my little lathe next to my desk and make stuff now. I enjoy a very few guys on youtube. This guy Mark is quite the shooter. I love to watch his videos. I would love to watch some of you guys shoot. Maybe you can talk someone into videoing you so you can put it on youtube for us people who can't get out so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast