WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: cylinder burns?

Boolit Master

cylinder burns?

can someone tell me why after 200 rounds each cylinder shows these burn marks that have changed the finish.loads are less than mid-range in power level.is this normal on blued finish revolvers?

The gun is heat finished buling. This is expected.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but figured it was the result of hot, high pressure gases full of burnt and unburnt lube, powder, bullet metal etc getting blown onto and into the surface.

Funny thing, when I was teaching myself how to chamber rifle barrels, I'd shorten the breech end of a Remington take-off, recut a new chamber and use a light cast bullet load to check my work. Within 20 rounds, the throats in those sectioned rifle barrels were blackened exactly like the cylinder face on a revolver.

Solvents intended for cleaning carbon from ARs usually do a good job on cleaning cylinders. Not sure what they'll do to bluing though!

Boolit Master

You should find a powder mark on the cylinder flutes too.
    Easily seen on a stainless or nickel revolver.

When I shot Cowboy, my Friends both shot STS Vaquero's, 5 1/2" bbl in .45Colt. By the time the match ( 10-12 stages) was over, all their revolvers showed burn marks on cylinder faces & flutes. You have to have a special cloth to clean off the burn marks on the cylinder faces. Brownell's sells them.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Looks more like holster wear to me.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    You should find a powder mark on the cylinder flutes too.
    Easily seen on a stainless or nickel revolver.

When I shot Cowboy, my Friends both shot STS Vaquero's, 5 1/2" bbl in .45Colt. By the time the match ( 10-12 stages) was over, all their revolvers showed burn marks on cylinder faces & flutes. You have to have a special cloth to clean off the burn marks on the cylinder faces. Brownell's sells them.
    I’m not concerned with the cylinder face as it is fine. I’ve tried everything to get it off and nothing is removing it. It is not layered it’s like the bluing is scorched.

Vendor Sponsor

If it was mine I would just call it "Character."
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Same as Douguy.

I say you want to shoot your guns or put them in a beauty pageant. Working guns will become “dirty”.

Boolit Grand Master

I had that really bad, worse than that, on a S&W last year. After a bit of research, it has more to do with the shape of the top strap than anything. None of my Ruger double actions show wear after 200 rounds. Their top strap is as-cast on the bottom. Maybe the rougher top strap helps?

I would say it's normal, there's not much you can do about it.

Boolit Master
    There is a lot of high pressure hot gasses coming out at the tiny gap between the cylinder and the barrel. It would start to stain and or remove the bluing quite easily. When you look at the slow motion videos you can see it quite well. It may be the gap is too large though. Thus allowing too much gasses out in the gap. Anyway, it is why you keep your hand and fingers away from the front od a revoilver, as it will flame cut the fingers right off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If it was mine I would just call it "Character."
    What he said ^^^

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Same as Douguy.

I say you want to shoot your guns or put them in a beauty pageant. Working guns will become “dirty”.
    good lord read the post before posting non sense.the gun is not dirty. smh

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    good lord read the post before posting non sense.the gun is not dirty. smh
    Okay try not dirty. Let’s change “dirty” to not new.

Boolit Master
    Looking at the picture, and your description, I have a few questions.
    You said; "each cylinder shows these burn marks." Are you talking about the CHAMBERS, or the frame in front of the single cylinder?
    The gun appears to be Uberti or a clone. It's not a Ruger from what I can see. Is it?
    The frame, in front of the cylinder appears to have a color case type finis, that is often done at the factory or by custom work.
    By your post,, I'm ASSUMING you mean the part of the one cylinder, in between the flutes,, that has a forward section that has a "sorta half moon dull appearance." Is this correct?

If all my assumptions are correct,,, then there are a few possible explanations.
    As noted above, it could be an excessive cylinder/barrel gap.
    It could be the blueing process used by the manufacturer wasn't a good method, or improperly done.
    It could be wear from a holster as mentioned, but usually that appears as a more "shiny" area.
    You mentioned a mid-range load,, but if you are using a hotter, or faster burning powder, it could be part of the problem.

Mentioned above was a reference to a cloth used to clean STAINLESS guns. Do NOT use them on a blued gun. It WILL remove the blueing.

If all else fails, why not contact the manufacturer about your concerns?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Thus allowing too much gasses out in the gap. Anyway, it is why you keep your hand and fingers away from the front od a revoilver, as it will flame cut the fingers right off.
    Had a guy in my ER who did this with a 460 Smith while taking a shot at a deer. Turned his palm into hamburger. It looked like an M80 went off in his hand. Lots of skin grafting and plastics and he still had a mean scar limiting his hand movement last I saw him. Y’all be careful.

Banner Sponsor

I think that the Ubertis use some kind of bake on laquer finish or something like it to make it look like it was case color finished. The same with the blueing like finish. I have a Cimmaron Bisley target model and it has some splotches on the blueing that look like the finish has just been disolved.

Boolit Master
    I have a New Model Single Six that did that with soft boolits. It got lead deposited in the same place. I hardened up the boolits and then the deposits began to fade and have almost gone away now.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Banner Sponsor

I don't know if this applies to your revolver or not, but...
    I picked up a Cimmaron Bisley Target in 45 Colt that had some splotches in the finish.
    To me it looks like some solvent got on it and ate the finish off.

This is the OPs gun.
    If this is the problem, then I agree with above that it looks like holster wear.

If this is the problem, then I think that it may have something to do with the finish that they apply isn't very durable and susceptible to damage from solvents or???
    Last edited by lar45; 03-12-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    my gun has never been in a holster.its brand new less than two weeks old with two range trips and 200 rounds down the pipe.its thin bluing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    my gun has never been in a holster.its brand new less than two weeks old with two range trips and 200 rounds down the pipe.its thin bluing.
    IF it is a Cimarron (you didn't specify) then you need to read the manual that came with it. Cimarron puts there own finish on. It is not bluing, and they caution against using any kind of re-bluing kit as it will damage the original finish.