Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: S&W 28-2 value

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

S&W 28-2 value

I found a 28-2 which has a very slight bulge about 1/2 way down the 6" barrel. Other wise it is in pretty good condition. The owner says the practical accuracy is not affected by the bulge and if I'm not satisfied I can return it.

What should I offer for this?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

$200 max. And that's generous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Bought my first one new in the blue box for $93, but....that was in 1967. I'll buy it for $200 if you don't want it. My son is a gunsmith, won't cost me as much to fix it.

Dick

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    It is worth what ever its worth to you while the bulge definitely detracts a good amount i have had a few with bulges that shot just fine. If you want it as a shooter and he is willing to let you try it. If you think you might sell it down the road it just will not bring that much with a bad barrel.

Boolit Master
    Depends on how bad the bulge is and the condition of the rest of the gun. Even without a barrel, the gun would be worth more than $200 assuming it functions and doesn't have any rust. I'd guess somewhere around $300 to $400 would be reasonable if the bulge isn't too bad. If the bulge looks like the barrel is about to split I'd want it for closer to $300. Ask to meet up at a shooting range and see how it shoots.

Boolit Buddy
    As a S&W affectionado I have watched M28 prices go up and concur that it is worth more than $200. I also concur with the poster who predicted resale problems. Whether or not the bulge makes any practical difference is overshadowed by the fact that it is there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I found a 28-2 which has a very slight bulge about 1/2 way down the 6" barrel. Other wise it is in pretty good condition. The owner says the practical accuracy is not affected by the bulge and if I'm not satisfied I can return it.

What should I offer for this?
    While the bulge may not be fatal to accuracy, I'd be curious as to what the owner considers practical accuracy to be.

I wouldn't offer a lot. The Model 28 is a fine gun and worth far more than $200 but that barrel bulge is not a trivial issue. As much as I like the N-frame .357 magnums, I wouldn't offer much over $200.

If I had a source for a replacement barrel, I might be a little more enthusiastic.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one for 400 about 3 years ago. It is a four inch and in good shape.. They have went up around my neck of the woods. I seen one at the gunshow the other day that could have been bought for 550.
    no bulge though

Boolit Mold
    At 200 it would be a fine candidate for the 44 special treatment

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by weik View Post
    At 200 it would be a fine candidate for the 44 special treatment
    Having once done a Model 28 conversion it is my experience that it is ultimately both cheaper and more satisfying to buy whatever it is one wants in the first place. Someone with the tools and skills to do the shopwork could well disprove that.

Boolit Master
    Depends on the cost for a new barrel and the work required to replace it if the accuracy of the current barrel is not good.

Banned
    My guess is the guy that is selling it is having a hard time selling it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Cost to rebarrel would probably be about $100 labor plus cost of the barrel.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    The six inch versions are valued at less than the four inch ones, but it’s been said recently on the S&W forum that any working pre-lock N frame is worth $400. I’m not sure I agree, but it’s been said.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I'd give $200 for it in a heartbeat, probably $300 as I have a spare 4" barrel for a 28-2.

Boolit Master
    Price of the gun, price of parts if available, gunsmith charges, shipping and travel or both. Possible hidden damage and worth of gun when repaired. What is a good one worth ?

I have bought damaged guns if it was something I thought I could fix. I like to tinker but not being a gunsmith does put a limit on things. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. These days I tend to let it let someone else have the problem. I have also had gunsmiths make a mess, I can do that without paying for it.

People have a different take on things, not always wrong , just different.

Moderator Emeritus

While it's not common to buy a used S&W for the value of the parts, If the gun is in excellent condition except for a barrel bulge, the parts could be worth upward of $500 and beyond.

I concur with Weik about it being a potential 44 spl project.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001