Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Venerable 30-06 and 1 Gun To Hunt N. America?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    With the choice in projectiles from 110gn to 220gn, is the 30-06 a 1 gun for all of North America?

Cheers,
    Chris

From mouse to moose,yes. My first moose rifle was a Sako 30-06,got a few moose and got birds too. I have then switched to 300 WM for better long range accuracy,easier trajectory and more power.

But a 30-06 can do it all at normal hunting ranges. I have done quite a bit "cleanup" work,we never leave a possibly wounded animal out there. When it is confirmed wounded,we follow the situation 24/7. My furthest moose has been 340 meters,300WM, I practise 300-500 regularly. My skills with a 30-06 wouldn't cut it.

It will do for anything in North America, and most of the rest of the world, too. If you can’t kill it with a 30/06, you probably shouldn’t be shooting at it in the first place.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Remember, Alaskans used the 30-06 from the first part of the last century till today with no problems. They used 220 gr bullets and the big bears were the same critters then as now, only we have more sexy (tougher) bullets today. I'm not bashing magnums or the latest whiz-bang cartridges but the old '06 will do it if you point it properly.
    Now after all that is said, it sure is fun to experiment with wildcats and other calibers. That is what makes our affliction interesting. It appears that the '06 hit the sweet spot of versatility combined with manageable recoil a long time ago.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    They used 220 gr bullets and the big bears were the same critters then as now, only we have more sexy (tougher) bullets today.
    This is so very true. I also use 308 again because of good modern bullets. Magnums got a bad rep because of inappropriate ("explosive") bullets at the time. It's all different now.

Boolit Master
    My first hunting rifle was a 30/06, and although rifles changed over the years the caliber did not. Still have a 1903A3 and 1903AForgery, but what little deer hunting I do now is with a 243 or 30/40AI. Sold my hunting 30/06 last year (pre-war M70) as it was too heavy for me to handle comfortably and recoil was becoming an issue, but for 55 years the old 30/06 never failed me.

Boolit Master
    Whole collections of guns and reloading rooms 'could' be replaced with a Garand ,an O3a3 , and one expanded die set. Granted I like most other calibers but in a pince....

Short true story... When WW2 broke out all ammunition disappeared from the stores and very little was sold during the war. A man had an 06 rifle but no shells to hunt deer. He looked everywhere and even offered $1 per round. Think about that...$1 might have been a days wages! Would you offer a days wages for 1 shot?

A local war widow heard of his plight and gave him 3 rounds her husband had in his sock drawer. He shot that rifle once each year for the next 3 years and harvested 3 deer....

That was with a very common caliber and I shudder to think if had been some exotic wildcat....

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    This is so very true. I also use 308 again because of good modern bullets. Magnums got a bad rep because of inappropriate ("explosive") bullets at the time. It's all different now.
    With the old cup and core bullets of the past, the higher speed rounds of the day did indeed blow up without desired penetration on game in a lot of instances and yet worked for the 30-06 at it's normal velocities. But, when you pair a 300 WM like yours with a premium bullet like a Partition or a Barnes TSX, business picks up--a lot. With the monolithic bullets, you get deep penetration with lighter and faster speeds. I hunted with a friend who shot 150 Barnes Triple Shocks out of a 300 WSM and at 300+ yds it knocked the snot out of everything he shot with it. We truly live in a time of panacea for bullet performance in rifles. It's just not as much fun as we boolit casters and shooters have!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned

8.5 inch ar15 pistol in 300 bo

Boolit Buddy
    People nowadays sing the praises of short action cases,which is fine.A 308 based case is just dandy ,especially with the wide selection of powders today, but I always find it odd when you see some toilet seat hunter repeating the same argument of the 308 being far,and away more accurate due to it's shorter action,and being so light it's like carrying a pebble,as compared to the 06 being comprable to lugging a boulder.I never understood how the action length of a rifle with front locking lugs plays a mesurable part of accuracy, and besides half the people that make that arguement are shooting today's cheap budget rifles that are all built on long action receivers. I am not a rifle snob,and have had some good shooting ,but cheap plastic guns,but I was just making thw point.

Boolit Master
    As a caliber gets older, it becomes less effective. At least that’s what the internet says, lol. The 30-06 is a great cartridge and cover just about anything that needs to be covered.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    As a caliber gets older, it becomes less effective. At least that’s what the internet says, lol. The 30-06 is a great cartridge and cover just about anything that needs to be covered.
    The old 257 Roberts,7×57,and 250-3,000 as well as 300 Sav. are so over the hill that I will do all you fine folks the favor of hauling them away for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The ol' '06 is also about the only commonly available cartridge that is chambered in every rifle platform from single-shots to full-auto MGs. Think about it. Bolts, pumps, semis (clip-fed; mag-fed ) double-rifles (SXS & O/U), et al.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Well, I have to say, hard to knock it. I personally love my 308’s and they get used for everything except..... the 30/06 can do anything my 308’s can do and several things my 308’s don’t do particularly well... so the 30-06 really is a winner. There is not one single cart that is more versatile then the 30-06. Not only that, but you can make soooo many other cartridges out of a 30-06 parent case... that alone beats out my beloved 308’s....

Marko
    Yeah, but why would you want to use cases that fit a rifle you own, to make other cartridges? If you have a .308 and come across some '06 brass, you can make brass for your rifle. Not so if you have a .30-06 and find .308 or .243 brass.

Having said that, .30-06 is one of my favorites for all around use; along with .308, .358 and .35 Whelen.

Boolit Grand Master
    to to many favorites to have a 1 gun scenario
    besides what fun is that?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    A light,practical 308 makes life easy,too.

I tried a "new" scope (a s/h Karl Kaps 4x32 military) on my S&W M&P 10 and fired some groups and then lots of clays from 100 m , standing and bench. I wanted to get over my "scope bite" from yesterday... With both Lapua and Norma 8 gram (123 grain) ammo the Smith is a true moa rifle @ 100m. Good time,smallest clay fractions just disappeared. A fixed 4x scope is not bad at all... fixed is often very clear and reliable.

If I had to choose only one all-purpose rifle,something like this would be my choice. Moose legal,bird accurate,basic little AR in a common caliber.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456