Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Venerable 30-06 and 1 Gun To Hunt N. America?

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not want something like that for varmints or an "all-round" rifle. But it is a great hunting round.

I made the "mistake" of going with the .308 for the short action, cheap brass and the thoughts of one day getting an AR in .308. The .308 may be a bit more efficient but for a hunting rifle who cares about a bit more powder? Had a M70 in .30/06 and like a fool sold it.

I will never get the AR, and if doing it again would get the .30/06 with a 24" barrel. Just not worth making the change over now that I have three rifles in .308.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Ok, y'all brought up offspring. I nominate the 25-06 as the #1 deer cartridge in my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    As long as we are nominating for a 1 gun I give it to the 280 Ackley
    I just recently became a 06 owner,within the past 6 mths,have always thought
    there were better cartridges to be had and I was never a follow the crowd kinda guy
    seemed like everyone had a 06 but I caved and became a convert to the 06 camp with a
    Win M70 Super Grade with a 24" barrel it does shoot cast almost as good as my 358 win
    but time will tell having just started
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

yup the almost guns. 2506 270 280 308. All of the ALMOST as good. But somewhere in that almost is a compromise. Very seldom if ever in the gun world is less more.

Boolit Master
    First rifle at age 13 was a Colt built on a Husqvarna action with a pencil thin barrel in 30/06. Kicked like a rented mule, even with the additional weight of a scope. Next was a Rem 760 with a 4X Weaver scope, good rifle for the woods in PA wherre I grew up. That was followed with a Ruger M77 tang safety w/Redfield 3X9, excellent accuracy and used it for deer and with the Hornady 130 gr for woodchuck. Picked up a Ruger 1B, beautiful wood but just heavier than I wanted. Ended up with a pre-war M70 w/Redfield 3X9 and used it for 30 years. Arthritis put an end to heavy guns so just sold it this year. Among these were several 1903A3's and an Aforgery. Still have one A3 and the Forgery for cast shooting (both have C stocks). My deer rifles now are a M70 FWT in 243 and a Ruger #3 in 30/40 AI and both are fun with cast and I have the option to load J bullets for deer, but I think if I had bought the lighter Ruger 1S I would still have it and use it.

Boolit Master
    I have three or four 30/06s. My 280 Remington is usually what I grab if I'm going to the mountains.

I have killed alot of stuff with 30/06s but prefer my 280.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Banned

I have an love for the 280 and even the 2506 myself. But I don't fool myself into thinking there anything more then my 06s. but then a man has to have a little variety in life.

Boolit Master
    I had an Encore pistol in 30-06. It wasn't too bad to shoot, not nearly as bad as a .454.....I did kill one deer with it before I traded it off....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

yep love my 30-06's. have all sorts of others but wont part with the 06.
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

The 30-06 has been there done that with out question, If I had to go down to one rifle it would be very high on that list. I am more for if the gun feels good to you it is the one to use.

Boolit Master

Many years ago I was trying to get my old buddy's goat. Told him anything a 30-06 can do a 7 mag. can do better. I almost had to use my knuckles!

The little boy watching King of the Hill is probably wondering why Grandpa is on TV and when he's going to get him an "ought six". Little does he know there's already a .243 waiting for him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    There aren't many troubles that a man can't fix with $700 and a .30-06. Jeff Cooper.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

I have owned one or had access to a .30-06 all my life. I currently own a M1903A3, M1917, M-1Garand and a REM 700 in .30-06. Love them all.

But when I was able to Hunt w a scoped Rifle, I usually picked up a REM 700 in .270Win. First new rifle I ever bought. Because they didn't have a .30-06 in stock at the time. Never regretted it. 45yrs ago this June.

Had a .30-06 M1903A3 since I was 12yrs old. So that's my 2nd Rifle. And one of the last to go.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

What is a good pice to pay for an older Remington?

I've been looking at M700 BDL's in left hand but they range from $400 to $800 and above. All used and in fairly good condition.

I'm not good at pricing these because most of them were made before I was born, and are at least 2-3x my current age..
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master
    If you watch sales closer to hunting season several places will have new 700s less than $400...use that as your guide.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Price depends on lots of things. Does the rifle have It's original stock & trigger ? Is it scoped ?, what Is the quality of the scope ?, how clear is it ?

Is the stock glass-bedded ? Does the rifle have a new REMINGTON trigger ? What kind of shape is the bbl in ?

Is there a recoil pad on the stock ? Was the stock shortened when the pad was installed ? How well was the installation done ?

Does the rifle come with any accessories to sweeten the deal ?

Good luck.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I have an love for the 280 and even the 2506 myself. But I don't fool myself into thinking there anything more then my 06s. but then a man has to have a little variety in life.
    Tell that to your Wife.

Not much to say the hasn't already been said, but in fairness, we are these days a bit spoiled. In the deer camps 70 years ago, the gun the man next to you was hunting with was very likely his only rifle. Heck, my dad had only two guns for most of his life, a 22 and a 12 gauge. My Uncle Bob had a 30-06, and that was his only gun. If you only could afford to have a single gun, the aught six made (and makes) perfect sense.
    Nowadays, most of us have multiple fire arms, so the old standby's like the 30-30, the 30-06, and the 7 mm Mauser get overshadowed-at least in print-by Short mags, Creedmoors, Ultra mags, and whatever other flavor of the month brought out to sell gun magazines and firearms. The excellence and fitness for purpose that made the old standbys standbys gets glossed over in minutia, like long range bullet drop, muzzle energy, rifle weight, length, recoil or what have you. The fact remains that a 30-06 can take care of just about anything that walks on this continent. Anyone who thinks they need anything different is very likely confusing "want" with "need."
    Though an 06 is overkill for ground squirrels.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Lots of trees and keystrokes have been wasted trying to explain why another caliber is better than the 30-06. It was my first and only center fire for a long time. I find it very interesting and impressive how many things they got right 100+ years ago when it comes to firearm technology.

Banned

The .338- 08 aka .338 is better
    Simple
    No server space wasted
    The .35 Whalen is better
    No server space wasted

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The .338- 08 aka .338 is better
    Simple
    No server space wasted
    The .35 Whalen is better
    No server space wasted
    Nyuknyuknyuk you forgot the 8mm-06......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast