RepackboxGraf & SonsTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Venerable 30-06 and 1 Gun To Hunt N. America?

Boolit Master

I do not want something like that for varmints or an "all-round" rifle. But it is a great hunting round.

I made the "mistake" of going with the .308 for the short action, cheap brass and the thoughts of one day getting an AR in .308. The .308 may be a bit more efficient but for a hunting rifle who cares about a bit more powder? Had a M70 in .30/06 and like a fool sold it.

I will never get the AR, and if doing it again would get the .30/06 with a 24" barrel. Just not worth making the change over now that I have three rifles in .308.
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Ok, y'all brought up offspring. I nominate the 25-06 as the #1 deer cartridge in my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    As long as we are nominating for a 1 gun I give it to the 280 Ackley
    I just recently became a 06 owner,within the past 6 mths,have always thought
    there were better cartridges to be had and I was never a follow the crowd kinda guy
    seemed like everyone had a 06 but I caved and became a convert to the 06 camp with a
    Win M70 Super Grade with a 24" barrel it does shoot cast almost as good as my 358 win
    but time will tell having just started
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

yup the almost guns. 2506 270 280 308. All of the ALMOST as good. But somewhere in that almost is a compromise. Very seldom if ever in the gun world is less more.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Boolit Buddy
    First rifle at age 13 was a Colt built on a Husqvarna action with a pencil thin barrel in 30/06. Kicked like a rented mule, even with the additional weight of a scope. Next was a Rem 760 with a 4X Weaver scope, good rifle for the woods in PA wherre I grew up. That was followed with a Ruger M77 tang safety w/Redfield 3X9, excellent accuracy and used it for deer and with the Hornady 130 gr for woodchuck. Picked up a Ruger 1B, beautiful wood but just heavier than I wanted. Ended up with a pre-war M70 w/Redfield 3X9 and used it for 30 years. Arthritis put an end to heavy guns so just sold it this year. Among these were several 1903A3's and an Aforgery. Still have one A3 and the Forgery for cast shooting (both have C stocks). My deer rifles now are a M70 FWT in 243 and a Ruger #3 in 30/40 AI and both are fun with cast and I have the option to load J bullets for deer, but I think if I had bought the lighter Ruger 1S I would still have it and use it.

Boolit Master
    I have three or four 30/06s. My 280 Remington is usually what I grab if I'm going to the mountains.

I have killed alot of stuff with 30/06s but prefer my 280.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master

I have an love for the 280 and even the 2506 myself. But I don't fool myself into thinking there anything more then my 06s. but then a man has to have a little variety in life.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Boolit Master
    I had an Encore pistol in 30-06. It wasn't too bad to shoot, not nearly as bad as a .454.....I did kill one deer with it before I traded it off....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

yep love my 30-06's. have all sorts of others but wont part with the 06.
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

The 30-06 has been there done that with out question, If I had to go down to one rifle it would be very high on that list. I am more for if the gun feels good to you it is the one to use.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I was trying to get my old buddy's goat. Told him anything a 30-06 can do a 7 mag. can do better. I almost had to use my knuckles!

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    The little boy watching King of the Hill is probably wondering why Grandpa is on TV and when he's going to get him an "ought six". Little does he know there's already a .243 waiting for him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234