Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Cimmaron .45 Colt

Boolit Master

Cimmaron .45 Colt

I bought the Cimarron .45 Colt yesterday. It has the 5 1/2" barrel. I already own a Uberti Cattleman with 7 1/2 barrel. The Uberti had some issues with the screws loosening up, which I cured by removing the screws, putting a dab of blue loctite on the threads and then reinstalling. I plan on doing the same with this Cimarron, but do I need to? Maybe Cimarron already did it?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have Uberti made Cimarron and Uberti made Stoeger as well as Uberti Cattleman. All loosen with use. And they are all different chambering.

Boolit Master
    Checking screws is just part on normal maintenance on a SA, really any firearm.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Cimarron is only a distributor and sells Uberti’s. If you believe a manufacturer would spend the extra labor dollars to LocTite screws I’ll sell you some shares of the Brooklyn Bridge
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Checking screws is just part on normal maintenance on a SA, really any firearm.
    What he said.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Cimarron is only a distributor and sells Uberti’s. If you believe a manufacturer would spend the extra labor dollars to LocTite screws I’ll sell you some shares of the Brooklyn Bridge
    Really? Maybe that is why a Uberti owners manual was in the box with the Cimarron, and the underside of the box does make reference to Uberti? Actually I already knew that, but thanks anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to Loctite the screws but simply check them for tightness instead after cleaning the revolver.

I've had a 5 1/2" "Artillery Model" in 45 Colt since the early '90s. It was featured in a G&A article back then and I took some pictures for the writer when he was testing it. I was also in a picture in the article shooting the Cimarron Uberti and liked it so much I bought it. I have put thousands of rounds through it and have replaced the springs with Wolf springs and also made a plunder spring for the hand. Actually just had it out in the desert the other day. It's my usual carry gun riding in a western belt w/cross draw holster (very handy and comfortable in the jeep) when out there as I have a shot shell loaded as 1st round up in case I stumble into Mr. Jake No Shoulders......dang near stepped on this one a while back. I will leave'm alone most of the time but I don't hear 'em buzz anymore and I ain't so quick leapin back as I once was ....... didn't have the shot shell loaded so the 200 gr cast at 950 fps did the trick......

Attachment 237746
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-11-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Just tighten them! When the loc tight sets up and you have to take them shallow notched buggers out you will regret using lock tight. If you must just use a drop of clear fingernail polish. Springs will break eventually and you will need to take it apart.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Just tighten them! When the loc tight sets up and you have to take them shallow notched buggers out you will regret using lock tight. If you must just use a drop of clear fingernail polish. Springs will break eventually and you will need to take it apart.
    Blue LocTite is removable. I've taken my Uberti apart several times since I first applied the LocTite. I always apply another little dab when reassembling.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by larry gibson View Post
    i used to loctite the screws but simply check them for tightness instead after cleaning the revolver.

I've had a 5 1/2" "artillery model" in 45 colt since the early '90s. It was featured in a g&a article back then and i took some pictures for the writer when he was testing it. I was also in a picture in the article shooting the cimarron uberti and liked it so much i bought it. I have put thousands of rounds through it and have replaced the springs with wolf springs and also made a plunder spring for the hand. Actually just had it out in the desert the other day. It's my usual carry gun riding in a western belt w/cross draw holster (very handy and comfortable in the jeep) when out there as i have a shot shell loaded as 1st round up in case i stumble into mr. Jake no shoulders......dang near stepped on this one a while back. I will leave'm alone most of the time but i don't hear 'em buzz anymore and i ain't so quick leapin back as i once was ....... Didn't have the shot shell loaded so the 200 gr cast at 950 fps did the trick......

Attachment 237746
    thank you.

Boolit Master

Larry, did you have "footless stew" that night? I've heard that rattlesnake is good eating. james

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Larry, did you have "footless stew" that night? I've heard that rattlesnake is good eating. james
    Yes, it is good eating......tastes like chicken........pound the meat out and make parmesan chicken with a good pasta and a fine red wine.....back in the days of C-rations we used to use the hickory smoked and cheddar cheese's along with a packet of Ramen noodles.......must have something to do with being an SF "snake eater".....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry,

That was good shot placement.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, like Wyatt used to say "fast is okay, accuracy is final".....
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Well, like Wyatt used to say "fast is okay, accuracy is final".....
    Wow, Larry! Did you know Wyatt Earp personally?
    Snakes are really scary to hopping members of the amphibian persuasion... but if a frog has a gun in his pocket he doesn't have to be afraid of snakes!

Your Phriendly 'Phibian
    "It aint easy being green!"

My 5 1/2" Cimarron .45 is sixgun heaven, smooth, accurate and beautiful. Mine has the full moon elector handle and blackpowder cylinder pin screw. That screw tends to loosen more than the others.
    I seldom shoot a rattler unless it is near the house.

Last summer, up at my Aunt's ranch in Montana, we entertained a family from China. My Aunt had made friends with them when she traveled to China, and last August they came here to visit Yellowstone.
    We took them horseback riding, 4 wheeling and up to my shooting range.
    I let the father and son shoot my Marlin levers in .22, .45 Colt and .45/70, and my Cimarron sixgun.

On the way back from the range, my Aunt wanted to go down a rocky ridge on her upper pasture to get a few rattlers so we could fry them up for dinner. After walking maybe 100 yards down, I spotted what I thought was one snake sunning outside an overhang and blasted him with a .45 shot load.
    It turned out to be two snakes together, I had 2 shotshells in the gun, so finished off the second one.
    They tasted good, although not a lot of meat on those ribs.

Another of the nice things about Montana, monster German Brown Trout like these:

Last winter I traveled parts of the old General Crook trail, first used for horses in 1871 but improved a couple years later for wagons. This trail connected Fort Whipple ( near Prescott), Camp (Fort) Verde, near the present town of Camp Verde, and Fort Apache in eastern Arizona. The trail was used for resupply of the forts and troop movement.
    The troopers would have been using the new 1873 Colt as soon as it was issued, so for me it felt especially good packing one while traveling parts of the trail.
    Here is one section of the trail:

My Cimarron:

Goes well with my 1894 Cowboy, also in .45:

Boolit Master
    Okay. I took the new Cimarron down to the work bench. I needed to try out my new set of gun-smith screw drivers anyhow, so I removed the screws one at a time. put a dab of blue loc-tite on the end, and reinstalled. There was NO evidence of any loc-tite from the factory. Now I am confident that the screws will not loosen during a session of cowboy action shooting. By the way, those gun smith screw drivers worked great. Should have bought them years ago instead of getting by with the umpteen jillion screw drivers accumulated over the years of working as a mechanic, machinist, and general tinkerer. I also appreciate hearing from you guys that actually carry and use these fine guns for hunting, etc.

Boolit Master
    I might be mistaken but I believe a screwdriver was part of the issue required from Colt’s by the Army.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I might be mistaken but I believe a screwdriver was part of the issue required from Colt’s by the Army.

Kevin
    Yes. That is the information I was able to gather from an internet search after experiencing issues with my first Uberti. (Colt clone)