Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: shop built steady rest

shop built steady rest

I recently purchased a new to me lathe, it came well equipped except for one item. It lacked a steady rest. The prospects for finding one for this lathe were bleak so fabricating one was the best option. A google search for ideas resulted in this idea which I shamelessly copied.
    The appeal of the spider which will allow unblemished barrels and work pieces was a major attraction. A brief search of the scrap bin allowed me to build this at zero cost in real money. initial test cuts have proven to be more than satisfactory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	237740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	237741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR3.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	237742

Boolit Master

Nicely done. I am a novice Lathe user and enjoy making little items for the Lathe and am at present making a couple of Die holders for a pair of different sized Dies ( 1" and 1.25"). I just have a hard time finding round bar stock for my projects.

I make the rounds at several machine shops and offer to buy scraps and drops . some times they just give them to me. not sure where you're located but that's the main place I find material for my projects

Boolit Grand Master

What type of bearings are in the bearing block?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Looks like a 2 bolt flange style pillow block.

it is just that' a flange bearing salvaged out of the scrap bin where I'm teaching. Bearings are still smooth. not sure but think it is a roller bearing. the bearing is stationary and doesn't pivot

Banned
    The scrap yard near me has a "recycled material" sale area with steel (don't know what kind) bar stock and scraps up to 3" and aluminum up to 5".

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    As a retired machinist i would love to have a small lathe and mill possibly a small grinder. Well i am trying to keep hope alive.

As a machinist I couldn’t imagine life without one at all. There are ways around problems but even a couple hundred dollar Sears (Atlas) lathe has proven to be worth the money at fixing problems at our farm.

Not like being at the shop but just having the ability is a game changer vs nothing at all.