Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Hornady LnL Classic

Hornady LnL Classic

This is the cast aluminum press.

I used the Lee Qiuck Trim case trimmer mounted on this press. Bad idea. Apparently, some brass shavings found their way between the ram and the housing and caused it to bind. I disassembled it and attempted to clean as best I could. It loosened up a bit, but bond up again last night while reloading some .38’s. It’s unusable.

I sent an email to Hornady describing the problem. Hopefully they’l help me resolve this problem.

Hornady response very quickly. Asked that I send the press to them for their evaluation.

We’ll see what happens.

Due to the overwhelming interest in this issue, I wanted to advise that Hornady just sent me a shipping notice regarding the return of a classic press to me. Not sure if it's completely new, or my repaired press. Either way, that's good service and customer support!

Good job Hornady!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    Due to the overwhelming interest in this issue, I wanted to advise that Hornady just sent me a shipping notice regarding the return of a classic press to me. Not sure if it's completely new, or my repaired press. Either way, that's good service and customer support!

Good job Hornady!!!
    Nice , but I don’t want to hear any thing good about the Hornady lock n load or any dillons I have been fleeing their temptation for years .

onelight, at least you posted a response!...LOL

Boolit Master
    Well, considering I just saw this topic just now, and really did not have anything to say much about the issue you had, I will respond with a positive comment.

That turnaround from Hornady is pretty quick. That is commendable.

I'd even offer a suggestion, butI probably don't have to tell you to put a rag over the ram & bottom of the press if you ever do this with any other press in the future.

Glad you are getting things worked out & G'Luck! in the future!

P.S. - I am betting you get a new press, but they may have just repaired the old one.

Be interesting to find out, so please share if what you do receive back from them.
    Now that I posted, I would like to know.

LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

JB, yes, I have to come up with something to keep the shavings out...but I did use my rockchuker for this without issue(iron base). Ya gotta use the ram with this trimmer.prising

I had the same question you stated...so I called and asked. They are sending back my repaired press...same base, but with new ram and linkage... which is surprising. I would have thought it more cost effective to just send a new one. But I ain’t complaining! The press is about 5 years old. I fully expected a repair bill.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    JB, yes, I have to come up with something to keep the shavings out...but I did use my rockchuker for this without issue(iron base). Ya gotta use the ram with this trimmer.prising

I had the same question you stated...so I called and asked. They are sending back my repaired press...same base, but with new ram and linkage... which is surprising. I would have thought it more cost effective to just send a new one. But I ain’t complaining! The press is about 5 years old. I fully expected a repair bill.
    Well, That is cool anyway, since it will now be basically a "newer" press, and you won't have the issue to bother with again. Longer life for the press & a lesson learned pretty easy.

(I have a few of the Lee trimmers & the drill set up for them, & not the Quick Trim you have that mounts to a press, but I rarely use them. I have a Lyman Univ. trimmer that I use. Mostly rifle cases. If nothing else, your topic here should let folks know what happened to you & the press & to not repeat the same thing without considering how to deal with the shavings.

A "Plus Plus" anyway, IMO. Good on them to help ya out.

G'Luck! once again & thanks for the update!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

ive done 10s of thousands of 556s cases on my lnl with a Dillon trimmer mounted on it. Used to hook a vacuum up to it as it has an attachment for one. the noise bothered me so I quit using it. Ive had that press and the floor under it covered in shavings and never had on get in the press. the shell plate shelf kind of protects the ram area from getting shaving in it. I just keep a little paint brush there and about ever 3 or 4 hundred rounds give it a quick sweep.

Banned

My mistake I see now you are using a single stage and that would be pretty easy to see happening.