Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: RCBS 357 dies...is this odd?

Boolit Buddy

RCBS 357 dies...is this odd?

Picked up a used set of RCBS dies.
    In playing with these...I noticed the size die was sans a decapping stem, but the expander die had a decapper, the seat die was pretty normal.
    Turns out I had another set about like it in the shop as well.
    Using the hand press, I processed about 30 357 cases I shot in the door yard today. the sequence was a bit diferent than im used to, but they work.

Just curious as to the methodology of it, as the other dies I own are pretty much size and decap on the same die, regardless of manufacturer.

Have a Rcbs set that is like that. They are around, older sets that are hard to get used to when using what is standard for today. Probably something they wanted to see if it caught on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

That's how they used to make them. There may be a two digit date code on the top of them, or not, depending on when they were made.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Yes, I have several older die sets that have the de-capping stem in the expander die. Was that unusual in the 50' & 60's. It was normal. james

Is it a carbide sizer? All the sets I've ever seen like that have steel sizing dies. All the carbide sizers I have ever seen are the now normal design.

Boolit Master

I never saw a Carbide size die until somewhere in the middle to late 60's. james

I have the old 70s carbide dies. I have one of these . Its used in my 38,357, 45acp and 44 mag carbide sizing dies. It was a optional item.

Boolit Buddy

My .357, 45acp, marked 79, and 44mag. carbids are all like that.

Wow, I didn't know they ever made such configurations. Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master

If the sizer has a threaded opening, it can be retrofitted with a decap assembly. Then the de-cap pin can be removed from the expander. RCBS sent parts to me for free for a mid 70s era die set.

Boolit Master
    I have the same sets in .38 and 357. It was explained to me that the open size dies allowed easer extraction of stuck cases, the other thing I like is that the expander is longer than the new models.

I have a 44 mag. Steel sizer like that. I thought the decap was missing. Got it in a box of other stuff.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks everyone.
    My immediate reaction was that I had to go buy a decapping stem. This set works just fine, its just a bit different.
    maybe I'll hit RCBS up for the parts. The expander works fine, and if it bothered me I could hack off the threaded portion, though it will be a handy backup decapper.

I didn't know they made them the new way.

Boolit Master
    My .44 Mag dies were bought in about 1970 when I bought a 788 Rem in .44Mag. The 788 cost new $65 back then. My .44 dies had that odd set up to save RCBS a few pennies by putting the decapper on the end of the expander. I promptly changed that to a decapper in the size die. I got rid of the RCBS expander too.
    I put a Lyman M die plug in my RCBS expander die body for the best of all .44 Mag die sets.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    RCBS sent me the kit, its still sitting unopened on the shelf since the size die is not carbide die. I found a second hand carbide size die and just pulled the pin from the expanding die, so when I size with that set I actually expand twice. I have a picture of the different length expanders somewhere about to show the difference. One of my .38 sets sports an expander from a cowboy die set to accommodate the lead bullets as well, I use that one mostly for wadcutters.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    My first set of 38spc. dies (RCBS) Had a carbide sizer(with no decapper) an expander die with an aluminum alloy body and decapping pin. And the usual seater. The sizer die had no threads for a rod. All dating from the late 60s. I replaced the sizer a few years later. Removed the decapper pin from the expander and live happily ever after. I still use those dies today. Loaded many thousands of 38/357 cases before I got another set of dies so as not to have to adjust the dies every time I changed calibers. Until about 1970 RCBS made dies in both 357 and 38spc. The stems in the expander and seater are different and , I believe, the inside of the seater is different. . I have purchased several sets in both calibers, over the years. I set them up for different nose shapes. I usually have bought them at shows and yard sales for a few dollars a set. If they have a carbide sizer, great, if not I use my original carbide sizer. I know that is sort of a waste of money but I like doing it that way. Just my own personal strangeness!

Boolit Master
    Found the pix of the different size expanding stems. In order, new old and cowboy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44BC3296-7C16-492B-9A8C-9C66CE78E05B.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	237765