Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Garrett Arms 1863 54cal sharps carbine

Boolit Buddy

Garrett Arms 1863 54cal sharps carbine

I had this in a single shot thread and the seller had it listed as a 45 70 but after seeing the gun and inspecting it before the deal it is a 54cal breech load 54 cal rifle. I dont know alot about sharps rifles but think I got an ok deal. It's in good shape and I got a straight trade for a s&w m&p 45 pistol. I hope I did ok and need advice on bullet molds etc. I have run a 50 cal hawken growing up for deer

Never had a breech load BP gun and this one is in good shape. Trying to decide if I should keep or sell it?
    It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...od-trade/page3

Boolit Buddy
    The Garrett Sharps is the only authentic reproduction of the 1863 percussion model. They're especially valued by N-SSA shooters and you can get a lot of information and input by asking questions on their bulletin board at www.n-ssa.net. Besides specific info on the Garrett, you can glean some general Sharps info about finding the correct bullet for your bore as well as loading procedures and preventing fouling of the action from gas leakage. You may find that a gentleman named Charlie Hahn may respond to your questions. He's the go to guy for all repro and original percussion Sharps and it my be worth it for you to send him the carbine for look see.

Boolit Master
    I have read that the Garrett reproductions of the percussion carbines actually had a functional Lawrence primer-flipper on the lockplate. Does your specimen have one? My cartridge gun has the decommissioned remains of one.

If your copy has one, you can see Garrett’s commitment to authenticity. Nobody’s made Lawrence priming pellets for over 100 years, but Garrett insisted on including the mechanism anyway.

You need the strongest musket caps you can find, a mould for a “Christmas Tree” boolit, and some thin paper to roll paper cartridges with. The N-SSA site is where to go for the management info. The 1863 site on the Shiloh Sharps forum has some good info as well.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you both for the info. Yes my gun has the Lawrence priming mechanism fully intact. Just looking into how this thing works and trying to decide if I wanna dabble into the shooting of it or pass it to someone who wants one. I do like to run BP and subs in my 4570 but not sure I wanna go into paper cartridges etc.

Either way thank you!
    It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag

Yes, you got an incredible deal. Learn to use it, they're great fun and educational.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yotatrd4x4 View Post
    Thank you both for the info. Yes my gun has the Lawrence priming mechanism fully intact. Just looking into how this thing works and trying to decide if I wanna dabble into the shooting of it or pass it to someone who wants one. I do like to run BP and subs in my 4570 but not sure I wanna go into paper cartridges etc.

Either way thank you!
    You don't need to make paper cartridges. Charlie Hahn make disintegrating cardboard tubes that fit the base of an xmas tree bullet. Cap the end of the tube with glued tissue wrapping paper, charge the tube with real BP, insert the bullet and you're good to go. Check out Charlies website www.hahnmachineworks.com.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for more info. Still trying mulling over the idea of it. I know they are great fun and I could work to get a decent hunting load to use during black powder season where legal. Also seems like a heck of alot of fun as well. The other side of me wants to sell it to someone who will actually get good use from it too. I may fire 10 cartridges and be done. Decisions will have to be made.

Put of curiosity does anyone know how to value this rifle? I have seen anywhere from $675 to $1200 online. I have no idea why values are all over the place?

Check out the NSSA board. That's where those rifles change hands and get used.
    And I'd say more than $1200 if it's in really good shape. My Shiloh will bring $2000 and it's not as desirable as your Garrett.

Boolit Buddy

Nobade,

Thanks for the info. I will go try to see over there. I pulled it apart this AM and cleaned it well. Doesnt look to have been fored more than a couple times. Has some scratches on the blueing on the barrel. A couple spots of light surface rust in a few spots that seems to have wiped off pretty easily. A couple flecks on the surface of the receiver and in the cracks etc. Everything came apart. Barrel sleeve comes in and put easily. The primer feed system all works and moves freely. The stocks do have some dings, scratches and dents and the bore is pristine inside. I will go take a look over there. I hate to hang onto this knowing I will probably not shoot it and wanna see who out there wants one that will fire and take care of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Biggest problem with shooting the Garretts as made is that the chamber sleeve gets stuck with fouling pretty quickly. Make sure you remove and clean chamber sleeve and chamber EVERY TIME after a shooting session. I've been an N-SSA member for 25 years. I agree that the Garretts are very desirable if in excellent condition. An asking price of $1250 or more would certainly not be out of line, and would probably net you a sale on the N-SSA forum.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition