WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: My mini 14 in jail

Boolit Buddy

My mini 14 in jail

So I bought a mini 14 182 vintage yesterday and being in California it gets locked up for 10 days but at least we can still buy stuff here. I owned one before and they are great guns but the biggest thing that bother me about it was how far they throw brass. Being a reloader that drives me crazy so I didn't shoot it very much. I know you can buy a adjustable block to go in there but I'm also cheap so I'm not sure I read it but with the ingenuity of the guys on here it probably was here. The guy was using a washer from ace hardware or somewhere to block the excessive gas. One guy said it wouldn't last but he put like 1000 through it before he had to replace that .29 cent washer. Now that how much I want to spend and tame my mini from hitting people 30' away and being able to reload. Oh and has anyone shoot boolits in one and what dies have you used. Guess I'll go look into what's available now. Thanks guys!
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

I've used a cardboard box on the bench.
    Take a pretty big box and cut it off so its only about 6" tall.
    Stand it up to your right and weight the bottom part.

It keeps the brass from flying so far. They hit the box and fall right there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Be careful about rigging the gasport, it can lock-up permanently. Brownells has the part to under gas it a bit, for about five bucks...

I agree with the box idea or a PVC pipe shower curtain set up. A velcro strap AR brass catcher might work. I love Minis better than ARs but(and a big BUT)for the accuracy. I've read that the new ones are more accurate but I won't spend $800 to find out. I'm being realistic to expect 1-1/2" groups out of one but neither of mine would would beat 4"- and my brothers Mini-30 does 5" with Wolf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have a mini thirty and the brass really flies with it to it wouldn't be so bad if it went pretty much in same place but it goes it every direction. Sorry to hear about having to wait. Living where i have never had to experience this its hard to imagine.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee die set for 223 and haven't run into any problems, although I am not fan of the pinch style decapping pin. Sometimes it wants to back out with crimped primer pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I agree with the box idea or a PVC pipe shower curtain set up. A velcro strap AR brass catcher might work. I love Minis better than ARs but(and a big BUT)for the accuracy. I've read that the new ones are more accurate but I won't spend $800 to find out. I'm being realistic to expect 1-1/2" groups out of one but neither of mine would would beat 4"- and my brothers Mini-30 does 5" with Wolf.

The Mini's not about shooting small groups, it's about how quick you get on the target. Both my Mini 30 and 14 have open sights, so about 3.5" is very good with me. Who cares where their brass lands? Take a look at twice fired cases from a Mini and you'll not want to reload it, the case is junk at that point. I picked up, as in free, a 5 gallon bucket of them in a couple months without trying. Also, I wouldn't be caught dead shooting Wolf ammo, aren't they steel cases? I load top quality 223 and 7.62X39 with good bulk SP bullets for around nine cents per bullet. With the Mini 30, I sometimes load Lee cast bullets for short range, fast USPSA targets.

Boolit Master
    The Mini is what it is and it will usually never shoot like an AR, the inherent problem of the pencil barrel and the leverage applied in the gas system operation only magnifying barrel whip. Every barrel and configuration is its own novel but things can be done to usually reduce warming groups. IMHO they are really way over gassed and reducing orifice proved it to me. Landing somewhere between .040"-.048" will change the world and functioned just fine in mine. It went from throwing brass 20+ feet to making a pile 8-10 feet. I did not Chrono results confirming any velocity changes but perceived softer shooting and groups tightened up by 20-50 percent over the three I have. Reportedly hanging something heavy off front end that is really tight or threaded has been beneficial to some and then there is the hanging tube things to reduce whip. One can always turn it into a science project and bed and polish and tweak but in the end it is still going to be a Mini-14. I also find it amusing that somehow the Mini is expected to be a MOA shooter and the AK/SKS and the like platforms, well that's just how they are.

Boolit Buddy
    I want one!

In Remembrance

I sort of calmed down my early mini by getting a gas piston reduction kit from Brownell`s. It consists of 4 (if I remember) various size gas openings for the piston under the handguard. The factory supplied orfice is a `full bore` size that accounts for the cases being tossed into the next county. I installed the next to smallest orfice and now my cases are deposited within 10` or less. It`s an easy trade out fix of the orfice that took about 20 - 30 minutes as I recall.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    The Mini's not about shooting small groups, it's about how quick you get on the target. Both my Mini 30 and 14 have open sights, so about 3.5" is very good with me. Who cares where their brass lands? Take a look at twice fired cases from a Mini and you'll not want to reload it, the case is junk at that point. I picked up, as in free, a 5 gallon bucket of them in a couple months without trying. Also, I wouldn't be caught dead shooting Wolf ammo, aren't they steel cases? I load top quality 223 and 7.62X39 with good bulk SP bullets for around nine cents per bullet. With the Mini 30, I sometimes load Lee cast bullets for short range, fast USPSA targets.
    I agree with the quickness on target of the mini. I jumped a bedded fork horn at 50 yards like a quail and my Mini 14 came up like a quail gun for a DRT double tap! Like I said I love them, I just would like 200 yard capability from one. I never liked the tapered post front sight of the originals, either.

Boolit Master
    4 MOA at 200 yards is 8 inches. Depending on what needs killing, that’ll do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I agree with the quickness on target of the mini. I jumped a bedded fork horn at 50 yards like a quail and my Mini 14 came up like a quail gun for a DRT double tap! Like I said I love them, I just would like 200 yard capability from one. I never liked the tapered post front sight of the originals, either.

I think the inaccuracy issues are a result of the wood to metal fit. I've known people to glass bed Mini's with good results. The way the action just pops in and out can't be good for accuracy. Also, the size of the chamber must be huge based on the appearance of the fired cases.

That's probably why I've never seen one jam either! I'm a fan of the Garand and the M1 Carbine and the Mini reminds me of both a little.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think that is where the name Mini 14 comes from: "Mini M-14". I think the Mini is a really neat gun and wouldnt mind having one. Only thing is, the numerous cheap AR's available today have it beat in every regard except looks. I guess its about the only game in town for those poor souls in places like CA though.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.