Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Trading guns

Boolit Man

Trading guns

What would the proper etiquette be for trading guns via the forums, one is an antique, the other would require an ffl. Do you just ship it and hope the other person does also?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Is this across state lines? My answers assume it is. Some states do not discriminate between antiques and modern arms subject to FFL regulations so you need to find out what the laws are in both states but there are caveats in those regulations. If neither state restricts antiques and reproductions then it can be shipped as merchandise. The modern firearm would definitely need to go through FFLs in both states. Failing to do so is a criminal offense. Even within a state modern firearms can't be shipped directly from one individual to another.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

If you don't have trust in the sale / swap.

Don't do it.

It's a risk when ever you buy something online.

Now find out what your local FFL charges for a out of state transfer to a ffl First.

And make sure everyone is on agreement that the money is in your pocket before you ship. And YOU are not responsible if the firearm is not legal in that state or if the recipient does not pass the local ffl.

As for antique firearms plane box packed with eggcreate foam

Ship with USPS. Declare it's as a antique firearm. Buy tracking and insurance.
    Take photos

Expect a delay and the box to be opened.

And make sure the state you are shipping to allows a direct to recipient. Some states still require a ffl for out of state transfers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve traded online once and it was seamless. It depends on State law on both ends certainly.

I agree on the trade. I would treat a gun trade like any trade you make. You ship and assume the other party will ship. I probably would only deal with a member who has been here a while with a good history of feedback. Like said, if I had any reservations, I wouldn’t do it, gun or anything else.

Boolit Master
    If the antique is a black powder only, it should be good to go just about anywhere. Just box it up and send it. However if it uses modern powder, the services of a FFL must be used on both ends.

Banned

I've only done what you describe once, with an established member on here. All done on trust, each of us sent the rifle we were trading to the other's preferred FFL and all went exactly as it should. Never met the man face to face or even spoke on the phone.

I've made quite a few deals on here, a few other forums and a lot of ebay transactions over the years and can truthfully say that the vast majority of people I've dealt with are honest and follow through on what they say.

My experience on trading or buying online, forums and others, for over 10 years has been like richhodg66.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    If the antique is a black powder only, it should be good to go just about anywhere. Just box it up and send it. However if it uses modern powder, the services of a FFL must be used on both ends.
    Please refer to the ATF document concerning the definition of an antique -
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...-definitions-0

"Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and"

Please note this states 'including' which does not exclude any other particular models made in or before 1898.

"uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

In the case of the OP the rifle is a 41 Swiss...clearly not readily available.

Additionally your 'FFL on both ends' claim is state dependent. Most of my private long gun transactions involve shipping from an individual to an FFL. Even pistols can be shipped from a non-licensed individual in many states to an FFL. It is just a pain (can't use USPS unless licensed) and expensive to pay the expedited shipping from UPS etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Even within a state modern firearms can't be shipped directly from one individual to another.
    Many states, including Florida (where I am originally from), allow rifles to be shipped from a resident to a resident of the state without using an FFL.

Kev
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 03-11-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

I've made one trade online before, much like the one you're describing. My part of the trade required being shipped to an FFL, as it was a complete firearm.
    His side did not require it (just a barelled upper receiver).
    He lives in Jersey, so none of the dealers near him would accept a firearm from a non FFL, so I had to have my local shop ship it to his local shop. It was a PITA and cost $75.

He paid for half of the shipping of my firearm, and all was well.

It was a risk. I didn't know him from Adam. It was a risk on his part as well.
    We had communicated a lot and I felt good about it.
    If you're not comfortable taking the risk, don't do it.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

I only trade & buy online on forums with guys who are active and have a rep to protect. I have only had trouble once. I traded a 95% m63 S&W to a guy almost 2 yrs ago. A few months ago he decided gun was junk and was
    damaged. Wanted cash buy back plus shipping and fees, almost $800. Original trade was a M19. Over 4 months
    he tried to get amounts of money for gun smith & S&W repair dept. I reported him and last contact was for $125
    cash. I forgot to state he was tickled with gun when he recieved it.

Boolit Master
    "Many states, including Florida (where I am originally from), allow rifles to be shipped from a resident to a resident of the state without using an FFL."

Alabama is the same way....and I have shipped a Ruger #1 to a gunsmith in New Hampshire by myself. I looked up the USPS regs, printed then and took them to the P.O. The guy behind the counter said I couldn't, but I told him chapter and verse and he looked it up in HIS book. Neither of us was being snooty, he just didn't know.....But that was many years ago......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I've never traded guns online, only bought them. I always try to do it in a way that I have SOME kind of recourse in case they skip out on their end. Just shipping the gun and hoping for the best can be risky.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Is this across state lines? My answers assume it is. Some states do not discriminate between antiques and modern arms subject to FFL regulations so you need to find out what the laws are in both states but there are caveats in those regulations. If neither state restricts antiques and reproductions then it can be shipped as merchandise. The modern firearm would definitely need to go through FFLs in both states. Failing to do so is a criminal offense. Even within a state modern firearms can't be shipped directly from one individual to another.
    I believe it is legal to ship in-state for long guns with out FFL. From the BATF website;

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Never mark a package as containing a firearm, and it used to be the PO would get in trouble if they asked if the package contained one.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master