WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completed winter project!

Completed winter project!

Or maybe, "Enough is enough," or "Spring is coming." I guess I could have posted this in any of several sub-forums, but since I did it all with my handy Lee Hand Press I thought "Reloading Equipment" might be appropriate. There was, and still is a whole lot of snow outside, so what better to do than load up a supply of handgun/carbine ammo while sitting in front of the computer and reading what all you wonderful people have to say. I started this project close to the end of December, and the last box is dated March 7. If I count correctly I loaded: 750 .38 Specials, 250 .357 Magnums, 700 .45 ACPs, 150 .45 GAPs, 150 .44 Magnums, 200 .44040 WCFs, and 300 .45 Colts. So, I'm all set for this summer, and maybe a couple more. My daughter tells me that the daffodils are blooming down in the Willamette Valley, and I guess it will reach the mountains in another month. Got to move on to other projects, but this was enjoyable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006153.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	237710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006156.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	237711
    click to enlarge.

Left to right: .45 GAP 200 Gr. JHP, .45 ACP 230 Gr. CLFP, .45 ACP 230 Gr. CLRN, .45 ACP 230 Gr. Gold Dot, .45 ACP 200 Gr. JHP, .38 Sp. 158 Gr. CLRNFP, .38 Sp.158 Gr. CLSWC., .38 Sp. 158 Gr. XTP, .38 Sp. 125 Gr. Golden Saber, .357 Mag. 158 gr. XTP, .357 Mag. 125 Gr. Golden Saber, .44 Mag. 240 Gr. JSP, .44 Mag. 240 Gr. JHP, .44-40 WCF 200 Gr. JSP, .44-40 200 Gr. CLRN, .45 Colt 255 Gr. CLRNFP, .45 Colt 230 Gr. JHP.

You did all that reloading with a lee hand loader!! Wow! Remind me not to shake your hand or**** you off. You must have Popeye forearms? Nice work.
    Last edited by Pressman; 03-11-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language

Boolit Master

Nice to see a fellow gap reloader , do not really know why but it caught my fancy , though I load on a square deal b , you did good , glad the weather is supposed to start warming now.

Gosh that looks like a lot of work.

Before I figured out one of those thumb size de-burring tools would fit in a drill press,
    I'd sit and watch TV reaming the crimp out of GI brass primer pockets a thousand at a time.
    But that's about 10% of what you did there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I played around with gap length .45 acp’s before there was a gap. Should have patented it. The gap and Webley .455 are about the same length so I was thinking about using them in my Webleys.

Boolit Master

Just wait until you get a Lee Turret Press!

I've had one for years! Also a nice pair of RCBS Rockchuckers and a Lyman Spartan. All mounted out in the shop, where it's too cold to be.

Very nice. Lots of satisfaction to using the hand press.

Boolit Master
    Nice job ! Especially with a hand press.
    I load the same way , get enough stock piled that my main bouts of loading are done once or twice a year. I just shoot 100 to 200 rounds of centerfire a week.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    And i thought i had accomplished something. I just finished 3500 32acp's but at least i had a lee classic single stage. Before that i finished 2500 25acp's . Now on to something that looks huge 380's. I couldn't imagine doing that many rounds with a hand press my hats off to you.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Really nice work... very satisfying.. and warm. I finally build a room onto the house just to keep me out of the shop in the winter...

Red bear, 2500 25acp’s is quite a deal no matter what you loaded them with??? Those little buggers are the only round I have ever given up on in reloading.. I got so mad at them I just washed my hands of them altogether. And I am a happier person now...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    You 'gave up' on .25ACP reloading????
    I can not imagine that if you are shooting an Automatic.
    Factory Ammo is 'too expensive in my Retirement to quit reloading the .25ACP, and of course my wildcat extensions of it.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-14-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Well Congratulations!
    I'm in the process of casting enough bullets to load what I call my working stock of 38's, 357's, 44's and 45's. This consist of between a couple thousand and several thousand cases, depending on caliber. I'm about half way there. I also have about half of the brass resized, tumbled and primed.

You guys are a whole lot more energetic than I am. I gradually shoot up what I’ve got in pre match practices and the actual matches and then I’ll clean brass and reload 300 or so and then not reload any of that caliber or bullet weight until I get low again. I do keep around 600 45acp constantly loaded up but my one Dillon is always set up for 45acp so I can sit down and crank out 50/100 with no problem. I have more .45s than any other caliber handgun or pcc. Not counting my .22s, don’t have to reload those cases. No need for me to reload thousands at a pop. The only time that I reloaded every piece of brass that I had on hand was for Y2K with not knowing what might happen. Didn’t buy any tp for a year.

Banned
    I got an idea for a new project for you, a mobile stand for one of your bench mounted presses

You didn't get enough exercise keeping the roof clear of snow?

I'm in the process of loading about 600 45 ACP with my hand press. Doing it in 2 batches, lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I got an idea for a new project for you, a mobile stand for one of your bench mounted presses

You didn't get enough exercise keeping the roof clear of snow?
    That's certainly something to consider. I've seen plans for them in the past. But, truthfully, I did enjoy this "hands on" operation. It was just fine for pistol ammo, but I don't believe I'd enjoy full length resizing large rifle cases like .300 Win. Mag. !! Especially if I had several hundred to do.

As for the snow on the roof, yes, that was memorable; and winter isn't over yet as it's snowing outside right now! At one point I had almost 2 ft. on the roof, and had to shovel a path as I went because the snow on the ground was still soft without a crust to stand on.
    But, I keep telling myself that summer will make up for it all! And I'll have all this ammo to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I played around with gap length .45 acp’s before there was a gap. Should have patented it. The gap and Webley .455 are about the same length so I was thinking about using them in my Webleys.
    That's really funny! I guess we all think somewhat alike. I had a handful of the Remington snake shot shells, the nice brass ones that are rounded over on the end for the .45 ACP. When you shoot them the end straightens out like a shotgun shell, but is kind of ragged. I've never heard of anyone reloading them and reusing them, but someone probably does. I couldn't figure out what to do with them, and got the idea to cut them off below the crimp and make a few dummies and take them into my dealer friend with some preposterous story. I procrastinated on the project for a couple of months and suddenly the GAP appeared and kind of ruined the planned ruse. They're still out in the shop in a small jar waiting for.......?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I actually don't mind loading the 25acp . When i was still working i always preferred making small parts. Even though my fingers have gotten to resemble sausages. And yes if i didn't reload them i wouldn't be shooting them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Or maybe, "Enough is enough," or "Spring is coming." I guess I could have posted this in any of several sub-forums, but since I did it all with my handy Lee Hand Press I thought "Reloading Equipment" might be appropriate. There was, and still is a whole lot of snow outside, so what better to do than load up a supply of handgun/carbine ammo while sitting in front of the computer and reading what all you wonderful people have to say. I started this project close to the end of December, and the last box is dated March 7. If I count correctly I loaded: 750 .38 Specials, 250 .357 Magnums, 700 .45 ACPs, 150 .45 GAPs, 150 .44 Magnums, 200 .44040 WCFs, and 300 .45 Colts. So, I'm all set for this summer, and maybe a couple more. My daughter tells me that the daffodils are blooming down in the Willamette Valley, and I guess it will reach the mountains in another month. Got to move on to other projects, but this was enjoyable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006153.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	237710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006156.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	237711
    click to enlarge.

Left to right: .45 GAP 200 Gr. JHP, .45 ACP 230 Gr. CLFP, .45 ACP 230 Gr. CLRN, .45 ACP 230 Gr. Gold Dot, .45 ACP 200 Gr. JHP, .38 Sp. 158 Gr. CLRNFP, .38 Sp.158 Gr. CLSWC., .38 Sp. 158 Gr. XTP, .38 Sp. 125 Gr. Golden Saber, .357 Mag. 158 gr. XTP, .357 Mag. 125 Gr. Golden Saber, .44 Mag. 240 Gr. JSP, .44 Mag. 240 Gr. JHP, .44-40 WCF 200 Gr. JSP, .44-40 200 Gr. CLRN, .45 Colt 255 Gr. CLRNFP, .45 Colt 230 Gr. JHP.
    I keep one of those at my hunting camp along with dies and powder and reload in the evening when not using the old Lee Loaders. Works great. That's a lot of ammo.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast