Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 2019 Colt King Cobra. Numbers and opinion of mine.

Boolit Master

2019 Colt King Cobra. Numbers and opinion of mine.

I bought one. Made some measurements, shot 50 rounds each of 5 loads. Here’s the scoop on mine.

Barrel groove diameter 0.355”. Yep like a tight 9 mm. But no chatter marks nor blemishes. Beautiful barrel and rifling. It has the nicest, best cut forcing cone I’ve seen in a production revolver this century. Barrel to cylinder gap 0.003”. Nice and tight. Barrel and cylinder face cut square. The barrel is clocked with front sight straight. There is a false muzzle to protect the very squarely cut crown.

Cylinder throats. One at 0.3590, four at 0.3595 and one at 0.3600. All were round. The cylinder length is a bit short at 1.560” as compared to GP100 at 1.610”. The chambers were a bit disappointingly tight. They were cut straight at 0.379”. Some of my loads would not chamber due to the tightness. I expect factory would have chambered ok. Extraction on the straight chambers was draggy. I reamed them with standard rimmed chamber reamer and cut metal the entire length of all chambers. Now they are 0.381” at the front and taper to 0.382” at the rear and extract cleanly.

Sights are very good for a fix sighted revolver. The front post width is 0.125”. The rear slot is 0.137” and is 4.375” behind the rear face of the front post. Nice sight picture. The front post is square and has a 0.095” brass bead. The brass bead doesn’t help or hurt in my view. Looks more like decoration than useful. It is a flat bead so it doesn’t make the sight appear to move with the angle of light hitting it.

The frame appears to be forged and machined stainless steel. I have not seen any burrs inside or out of it. The machining, breaking, de-burring is first class. No tool marks, no dishing. Nicely made frame. Under the squishy (Hogue?) grip is a smallish square butt. I guessed it would be round but it’s square.

I removed the side plate and found the revolver to have come from the factory very lightly oiled at the contact points like someone knew what they were doing. The action is powered by a large V spring which extends down into the grip frame. It looks like all the small parts inside are MIM. They are very nicely done MIM. They fit and function beautifully. They are well formed, well finished and appear very tight grained.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the revolver. My only criticism is the chambers being straight and tight from Colt. They’re suiting me now since I reamed them. Otherwise much nicer machining than I’ve seen recently from Ruger or Smith and Wesson. Especially the forcing cone and B/C gap.

As for shooting it, the double action stacks near the break. But it is absolutely a useable DA. The single action breaks with no perceptible trigger creep. The SA is acceptable light and is very similar to a 1970’s K-Frame Smith. Haven’t measured the trigger pull weights.

For groups, not any real data. I shot it mostly two handed, standing, unsupported. The weather conditions were not optimal and I was not feeling up to the concentration needed on the one outing so far. I will say my best group at 26 yards was over 5 inches for 5 shots but 3 of those were in 1.25”. It’s hinting that it may shoot well. I’ll find out over the next few weeks or so.
    Last edited by shooting on a shoestring; 03-11-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Misused a couple of words.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Nice write up. You inspired me to grab my new Cobra and do some measurements. The chambers all fit a .382 pin gauge but not a .383 gauge. The cylinder length matched the King Cobra at 1.56. The cylinder throats all took .358 but not .359. The bore took a .347 pin gauge but not .348. The B/C gap is .004. The DA trigger is a little under 9 lbs and the SA pull is a little over 3.5. I replaced the front sight with a night sight from the Night Cobra and it measures .130 and the rear slot is .135.

I purchased mine last spring. Probably have one hundred to two hundred rounds through it. I’ve been impressed with the accuracy but need more practice with it to get better groups or need to try it rested.

Boolit Master
    Reddog81, thanks for your numbers. So it looks like the 38 and 357 use the same cylinder. Sounds like your chambers were cut well from the factory. I hope my tight one is the oddity.
    I also like your throat diameters.

Any chance you could get a groove diameter on your barrel? I’m curious to see if my 0.355” groove is odd or if yours is also tight. When I saw my 0.355 I wondered if they planned a 9mm version from the start and are going to use common barrels for all.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Thanks to both of you for the info. I have a New Cobra and have put about 400 rounds thru it. I like it and plan on a New King Cobra when I see them show up in my world.
    As an aside, Colt barrels in 38 and 357 have been tight every time I slugged and measured one. I had a 70's Python that was .354 and I have a 61 OMM that is .355. I've slugged a 1948 PPS 38 that was .356 and in reading over these many years it seems that in the early days of Int. Handgun Metallic Silhouette they were installing Python Barrels in S&W guns because the Colt barrels were tighter and considered more accurate.
    Doesn't the trivia in our hobby just tickle you??

Boolit Master
    I can slug the barrel. I've just never had great luck doing it and don't like the idea of hammering stuff through my guns... Additionally my electronic calipers are kind of crappy compared to my pin gauges which I know are correct and consistent. I'll try and do it tonight and see what I come up with.

I was wondering about the cylinder size since the King Cobra was announced. I'm guessing there has to be some difference in the metal or heat treatment on the .357's, since they otherwise appear to be identical.

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    ........ ..............groove diameter on your barrel? I’m curious to see if my 0.355” groove is odd or if yours is also tight. When I saw my 0.355 I wondered if they planned a 9mm version from the start and are going to use common barrels for all.
    Colt has long used .355 as standard for .38 Special and .357 revolvers. Is the rifling gain twist?
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Mine is .355 also. I’m guessing this doesn’t matter much as the old Colts with the same measurements are renowned for their accuracy.