Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Commercial Shotgun Slug Loads available.

Commercial Shotgun Slug Loads available.

So I did a Google search today on Commercial Shotgun Slug Ammo available and then hit "Images" just to see what is out there.

You obviously are going to see the big names like Federal and Remington and Winchester, as well as Lightfield and Brenneke, however there were others who were selling pre-loaded ammo with the STI Sabot Slugs, and Lightfield themselves sell Slugs for reloading that are nearly identical to STI slugs. They appear to use the same sabot but the lead insert is slightly different.

I guess the STI slugs are pretty accurate? Duh?

Other than Lightfield and Brenneke and a few others most everything is the same Foster style slug ammo that has ruled for the last 50 years. I don't see any recent improvement from any of those style slugs, they are just for shooting by the uninformed and may or may not shoot well in many guns. I consider these to be 50-60 yard ammo..

I got news for you's guys,,, We are on the cutting edge of Shotgun Ballistics with the stuff we're doing here. We are producing stuff that is way beyond all but a couple of brands of commercially available ammo and doing it for way less $. Some of that stuff is $3-5 a shot! My STI loads are about .50 and .40 of that is the Sabot I have to buy!

I can hand load something similar to Brenneke's using Thug Slugs from BPI at about .65-.70 cents each. I got a 1 1/8 oz.Thug Slug "Kit" that came with primed RIO hulls for.84 each. Just add powder and crimp. The slugs are made by Gualandi of Italy and the only negative is they need to be powder coated to bring them up to full size, they are a few thou short of a good fit in a rifled barrel. Just like Brenneke does with it's slugs now.

The one area I saw that was lacking in product was the Non Toxic or Non Lead projectiles. I can make Brass or copper inserts for my STI Sabots very easily and these are the only slugs I could use for hunting in CA because of the phony Condor Saviors and the idiots who believed their lies.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-28-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

You are on the cutting edge; slug loading seems like alchemy to me but I’ve read everyone of your posts on the subject and am throughly impressed!
    When I was dabbling in powder coating before I read posts about it here I felt like I was on the cutting edge of ballistic research now I’ve still got my little set up and found what works for me and the state of the industry has passed me by!

Banned

The main thing that is holding us back is the gun manufacturers. The forcing cones are so far off from one manufacturer to the next it is unreal. Then you have a 2.75" and a 3" gun and that makes it even worse. But then some 2.75" slugs actually shoot better in a 3" chamber! Go figure! But that goes back to the forcing cone. Or throat or what ever it is they want to call it that is in a shotgun?????

But we need to get these things started straight and keep them straight. And the hulls can not be reused over and over again like a brass case can and keep it's crimp to keep the initial pressure that is needed for a complete burn.

Something to think about.