Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: rcbs powder measure with a lee turret press

Boolit Mold

rcbs powder measure with a lee turret press

hey guys so i'm trying to get into reloading and have decided on going with the lee classic turret press but i am having some trouble deciding on a powder measure. i will be reloading solely for magnum handgun calibers. so here's my predicament, i was initially looking at the lee ppm but after doing some research on it i decided that that probably would not be the best option for accuracy and so the search continued until i found the rcbs competition pistol powder measure. does anyone know if this powder measure can be set up with the case activated linkage kit to mount on the lee classic turret press or do i need a rcbs press?

Boolit Master
    I have used the RCBS Uniflow with the case activated linkage on my Lee Classic turrent press.It worked ok but was not as accurate as the Lee Auto-Drum powder measure. I have 3 of the Auto-Drum powder measures and they work very well for me for pistol and small rifle cases.......

This is the one to buy

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/80...powder-measure

Boolit Master
    I vote Lee auto drum to.
    And I have the RCBS uniflow and a Lyman 55 all good measures but press mounted for me it’s the auto disk or auto drum.

Boolit Buddy

Consider this
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...ndex-value-kit
    Good press at a good price with a decent measure and a usable scale and it will get you started.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Mold
    thanks for the quick replies. the auto drum loader would definitely save me some $$$ for sure. i might have to go with that one then

Boolit Mold
    my only concern with the auto drum is the quality, from what i can see reading reviews and based off the price i just worry that i will have issues with it.

Boolit Master
    Like I said above I have three of the auto-drums and i have not had one problem with any of them.Can't guarantee that you won't have problems just saying I have never had any.

Boolit Buddy

You can buy 3 Auto Drums for less $$ than 1 RCBS with linkage. Midway’s reviews are by far, mostly good.
    L.E.C.

Lee Auto Drum is the ticket. Case activated, no linkage or chain to mess with.
    Make sure you get Auto Drum --NOT-- Auto Disc.
    I use the Drum on my turret & progressive, extremely accurate & repeatable.
    Just be sure, as with all powder throws to follow the pre use cleaning instructions
    & conditioning with powder or graphite before use. Good luck.

Boolit Mold
    awesome well i think im gonna go ahead and get the lee auto drum then. thanks guys

Boolit Buddy
    theangrydangler,

Yes, the RCBS powder measure and case activated linkage kit can be used on the Lee turret press but it is considerably heavier than the Lee Auto Drum powder measure and I would be concerned about wear and tear on the advancing mechanism of the press. However, be advised that if you are going to be using very fine-grained powders such as H110/WW296 and Accurate #9 in the Lee Auto Drum you may experience some leakage but not enough to prevent you from using the Auto Drum.

If you decide to go with the RCBS measure you can save about $20.00 by using the Hornady case activated linkage kit instead of the RCBS kit but be aware that the distance between screw holes on the activating arms for the two kits is slightly different and you will have to change one of the holes to a short slot. I did it with a Dremel tool and a chain saw sharpening stone. If you try to force the screws into unmodified holes you will damage the threads in the hole or the screw.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for the Lee Auto Drum, it is made to work with the Lee Classic Turret press.

Although the Uniflow can be made to work with the added linkage, it is much more expensive and in my opinion too heavy for how the Lee Classic Turret operates.

Boolit Buddy
    What turret presses will the auto drum work on?

Boolit Buddy
    loveruger,

The Lee Auto Drum and Auto Disk powder measures should work on any press. I have used them on Dillon 550, RCBS Piggyback, Hornady LnL AP, and the Lee three and four hole turret presses. You just have to have the appropriate Lee powder/expander die. In some cases other dies on the turret/tool head will interfere with installation of the powder measure but Lee sells a riser/extension that increases the height of the powder measure so that it is higher than the other dies.

Gus Youmans