Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Solid Lyman 525 Slug, Rifled Barrel?

Boolit Buddy

Solid Lyman 525 Slug, Rifled Barrel?

Hello... Y-man here... We survived the Nigerian elections! Yay!

Just wondering, my Google-fu not very effective right now...

Any one ever cast, loaded and shot (Using a fully rifled barrel) a No-cavity Lyman 525 slug?

The type loaded in Shotcup - Not full bore-size...

Any one know anything about this? Shoot ok? Shoot right-side up or ***-up?

Jeff (Taofledermaus) shot some recently, but all out of a smoothbore...

Anyone?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

Never seen a no cavity but the standard Lyman 525 with glue filled and trimmed base give me consistent 3" groups at 100 yds from a straight wall shotcup and rifled barrel. I believe a steadier marksman would do better. Excellent hunting round in my experience.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Never seen a no cavity but the standard Lyman 525 with glue filled and trimmed base give me consistent 3" groups at 100 yds from a straight wall shotcup and rifled barrel. I believe a steadier marksman would do better. Excellent hunting round in my experience.
    Yeah the NOE molds come with a set of pins to make them solid base . I cast a couple dozen but haven’t gotten around to loading any . I’ve had the same issue with changing NOE molds from HP to flat nose , when you put the flat pin in and the flat base pin in the slug mold there’s still an indentation maybe a 64th to a 32nd of an inch . Not really a problem but aesthetically I don’t like it , for the shotgun slugs it won’t be seen in the loaded product .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    So far all my shooting of the Lyman sabot style slugs has been in smoothbore 10 , 12 , 16 and 20 . And all have met my parameters . But the parameters are only out to maybe 35 yards . I do however have a recently acquired Hastings rifled barrel that fits my Browning A-5 12 Mags , so with that being said hopefully in the next couple months I’ll load some Lyman Sabot slugs HB and SB to try in the Hastings barrel . Sadly that barrel isn’t factory tapped for a scope mount and I have no intention of altering it . So my testing will most likely be no farther then maybe 60 yards .

Boolit Master

nothing of importance to add but just wanted to say "good to see you back, y-man"
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    So far all my shooting of the Lyman sabot style slugs has been in smoothbore 10 , 12 , 16 and 20 . And all have met my parameters . But the parameters are only out to maybe 35 yards . I do however have a recently acquired Hastings rifled barrel that fits my Browning A-5 12 Mags , so with that being said hopefully in the next couple months I’ll load some Lyman Sabot slugs HB and SB to try in the Hastings barrel . Sadly that barrel isn’t factory tapped for a scope mount and I have no intention of altering it . So my testing will most likely be no farther then maybe 60 yards .
    6pt: My Browning Slug barrel came with one of those B Square Saddle mounts. I can't be believe after all my intimate interaction with the inner workings of an A5 that that type of scope mount would be of any use at all. There is no way the barrel will re-index the same way twice in a row as it cycles.

My Hasting barrel will get a Burris Fast Fire III mounted onto the rear sight elevator. I will make a new piece to go into the sight base in place of the stock one and adapt to the sight just like it fit on My G35. Taht sight has lived thru 100 rounds on a Glock slide so it should be fine on the A5's barrel.

Mounting the optic to the barrel in some way is the only way I see to get repeatable accuracy with these guns. I think that's why they put the sights on the barrels in the first place.

When I make mine, I'll make a couple of extras if you're interested. It will a one pin to knock out type of installation with no mods to the rear sight base so you can go right back to stock if you choose.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    6pt: My Browning Slug barrel came with one of those B Square Saddle mounts. I can't be believe after all my intimate interaction with the inner workings of an A5 that that type of scope mount would be of any use at all. There is no way the barrel will re-index the same way twice in a row as it cycles.

My Hasting barrel will get a Burris Fast Fire III mounted onto the rear sight elevator. I will make a new piece to go into the sight base in place of the stock one and adapt to the sight just like it fit on My G35. Taht sight has lived thru 100 rounds on a Glock slide so it should be fine on the A5's barrel.

Mounting the optic to the barrel in some way is the only way I see to get repeatable accuracy with these guns. I think that's why they put the sights on the barrels in the first place.

When I make mine, I'll make a couple of extras if you're interested. It will a one pin to knock out type of installation with no mods to the rear sight base so you can go right back to stock if you choose.

Randy.
    I have a Leupold Deltapoint for my Kimber 1911 10mm I’m waiting on the Leupold base at the moment . That’ll be my first experience with something of this type . It took me awhile to get into one for a pistol I’m not sure I’d be into one for a shotgun . But I may be eventually who knows and thank you for the offer .

The Red Dot Sight is the fastest method of Target Acquisition there is. On a rifle it has no equal. On a pistol after you learn to pick up the dot during your presentation it eliminates sight alignment, which can be problematic for some people. On a Shotgun that is being used essentially as a Rifle, you are back to the Rifle statement. I have seen guys using them for Trap and Skeet as well.

Adapting a Red Dot to my Tactical Shotguns is something I have been thinking about for some time now.

As far as the Lyman Sabot Slug is concerned I have the NOE mould as well but I don't think that boolit will fly strait without rifling with that much weight in the rear end. May not even then.

Remains to be seen..

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The Red Dot Sight is the fastest method of Target Acquisition there is. On a rifle it has no equal. On a pistol after you learn to pick up the dot during your presentation it eliminates sight alignment, which can be problematic for some people. On a Shotgun that is being used essentially as a Rifle, you are back to the Rifle statement. I have seen guys using them for Trap and Skeet as well.

Adapting a Red Dot to my Tactical Shotguns is something I have been thinking about for some time now.

As far as the Lyman Sabot Slug is concerned I have the NOE mould as well but I don't think that boolit will fly strait without rifling with that much weight in the rear end. May not even then.

Remains to be seen..

Randy
    I don’t really for see a problem with the solid base . Bikerbeans sold me his solid base full bore mold and I’ve been using it in 10 gauge smoothbore wrapped with Mylar and granted it’s not bench rest accuracy but it’ll do what I want as far as deer inside 30-35 yards are concerned .

All my slug shooting or even buckshot for that matter is at DEER so quick target acquisition while nice isn't a big enough deal that I want a gun that looks as if it should be in a 3 gun event . The Deltapoint for my 10mm is because I don't wanna drill and tap it for a Leupold 2x . Aesthetically I don't like the profile of the Red Dot type stuff or most of the new brand scopes . I am happy with things like old Leupold Vari XII and Vari XIII scopes . I don't even care for the present manufacture Leupold scopes . I have been using a couple of the El Cheapo Athlon scopes recently , bought one and put it on my 416 Rem Mag just to see if it could handle the recoil which it has so far LOL's !
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 03-11-2019 at 10:32 PM.