Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can such a pistol be obtained?

Banned

Can such a pistol be obtained?

OK, please first understand there are reasons for asking. Neither are there any laws to be broken.

Can such a pistol be obtained? The specifications needed are:

1) At least .44 Magnum, Can be bigger.

2) Supplied with Buntline length barrel from new.

3) Double action revolver.

4) Here's the catch. The barrel needs to be relatively easy to change from Buntline to, say, 6" and back again by a person with mechanical knowledge and the right tools but who is not necessarily a gunsmith.

5) A handy benefit would be if the thread on the barrel (assuming it's threaded) is common enough that a gunsmith could make the alternative barrel out of a standard barrel blank.

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to ask how this coul possibly be simpler and cheaper than just buying two revolvers but I see you are in the UK. So carry on, just careful you don't get arrested for too much wrongthink.

Boolit Master

what you want is an old dan wesson revolver. easy change barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    Dan Wesson revolvers have interchangeable barrels and shrouds. They made 44 mag., 445 super mag., 45 colt as well as a few others in the large bores along with 22s, 32s, 357s etc.
    I think that the longest barrel for the large bores were 10" while 357s went up to 15".
    They are out of production but used ones are out there.
    As long as you have the bushing wrench and the feeler gauge, changing the barrels is easy.

Boolit Master
    Dan Wessen did have barrels you could Chang out but expensive. How about a single shot pistole like the tc . I guess it would be a custom made pistole that you need because I haven’t seen any change barrel pistols in a very long time

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    OK, please first understand there are reasons for asking. Neither are there any laws to be broken.

Can such a pistol be obtained? The specifications needed are:

1) At least .44 Magnum, Can be bigger.

2) Supplied with Buntline length barrel from new.

3) Double action revolver.

4) Here's the catch. The barrel needs to be relatively easy to change from Buntline to, say, 6" and back again by a person with mechanical knowledge and the right tools but who is not necessarily a gunsmith.

5) A handy benefit would be if the thread on the barrel (assuming it's threaded) is common enough that a gunsmith could make the alternative barrel out of a standard barrel blank.
    In revolvers your best bet is a Dan Wesson they use a barrel tube with a shroud for the barrel in 44 mag look for a model 44 (blue steel) 744 (stainless steel) they are avaliable on the used market. They fit you request almost perfectly. Dan Wesson also made revolvers in other calibers like 45 Colt, 445 supermag (lengthened 44 mag) 357 super mag (lengthened 357 mag) and other calibers but a 10" + length barrel is going to be hard to find. If you are looking for longer barrels DW produced barrels up to 15" for their small frame 357 mag revolvers and up to 10" for their large frame and Super Mag guns. There was a company in Germany I think that makes a similar revolver to the DW in calibers up to 500 S&W but will need to find their website.

Banned

you didn't mention whether multiple or single shot ....

so yeah, if single shot then a contender is a very good way to go.

they let you have guns in england, now.

Banned
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the pistol has to be a revolver and available new. We may assume that the user would also purchase the necessary action vice and barrel wrench or any other tools needed, within reason. This has to be reasonably financially viable.

Boolit Master

Good to hear you can own a handgun in the UK. A revolver is a fine gun. I always thought it was limited to long guns for hunting only. Good to learn new things.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    That's what came to mind for me
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

UKshootist, Does "new" mean currently being manufactured or never fired?

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the pistol has to be a revolver and available new. We may assume that the user would also purchase the necessary action vice and barrel wrench or any other tools needed, within reason. This has to be reasonably financially viable.
    The Dan Wesson design meets your requirements, and Dan Wesson (part of CZ) is making revolvers again. Unfortunately I think they are only making 357s and they do not make anything close to a "buntline" length.

So there is nothing for a "new gun" in a really long barreled 44 or 45.

Between me and my boy, we have 3 Dan Wesson revolvers. Two 8" 357 maximums (IHMSA specials) and one 6" 357 magnum. The 357 maximum has the same frame as the 414 and 445 supermags. The 8" is a big heavy gun and would be very cumbersome in a barrel approaching what most would call "buntline" (14" or 16", but possibly as short as 12")

Any specific reason for new only, the long barrel and the 44 mag caliber?

If you are wanting the "extra range", any used Dan Wesson in the Supermag series is capable of longer ranges than any traditional "buntline" in 45 colt. For long range and hard hitting, the 414 in 10" would be about as good as it gets. The 44 would probably be next. A 41 or a 44 with a 4" tube would still be very big, but would be much more handy.

I have toyed with the idea of asking CZ for price on a fitting a 41 cylinder, 4" shroud and barrel to my 740-V8S (the stainless 357 Max). I do not really need a "big bear gun", but having one would check off a long time "want".
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.

We may assume that the user would also purchase the necessary action vice and barrel wrench or any other tools needed, within reason.

This has to be reasonably financially viable.

Your assumption is in error, as regards the Dan Wesson revolver barrel interchangeability.

On a Wesson, barrel changes involve removing the nut that holds the barrel shroud tight against the frame (and puts tension on the barrel) with the included special tool/wrench, sliding the shroud off the barrel/frame & unscrewing the barrel from the frame manually.

Once the barrel is out of the frame, the substitute barrel is then manually screwed into the frame with a proper thickness feeler gauge betwixt the rear of the barrel and the (closed) cylinder face, the matching length shroud slid onto the barrel & everything secured via tightening the muzzle nut.

https://www.danwessonforum.com/faqs/...els-and-grips/

IDK if a Dan Wesson revolver is financially viable, since the specific budget wasn't mentioned.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Best investment out there in reach. Snake guns from Colt, but pricey...

Boolit Master
    I meant Dan Wesson's as Number # 1. Colts # 2

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    Yup....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Please define "Buntline length".
    As I understand it, old West "Buntlines" could have 10, 12, 14, or 16" barrels.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Please define "Buntline length".
    As I understand it, old West "Buntlines" could have 10, 12, 14, or 16" barrels.
    I was really just using the term 'Buntline' as a generic term for very long barrel.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    What is the minimum length where you are at?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    If custom work is allowed, this would be doable with most revolvers. You would have to have custom barrels and shrouds made up, using the Dan Wesson style tensioned barrel. That would be an expensive proposition though.