Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle/carbine needed but not being made by anyone.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

New rifle/carbine needed but not being made by anyone.

A 357/38 semi-auto tube feed carbine/rifle.
    I've been looking and there just is no animal out there that fills this slot. What a fun shooter it would be, and ammo is sold everywhere. I mean with the crazy's on one hand wanting to do away with all detachable magazines I think someone like Savage, Mossberg, or maybe even Ruger could come up with a simple design that incorporates a blow back design that would be similar to the old Savage Model 87A with a tubular magazine. They would just need to beef up the action and barrel a bit. Being a rimmed case it would fit in perfect with a tubular magazine and mostly flat points are utilized in revolver boolits also. Just need to offer one in rifle and one in carbine lengths. I know I'd be pre-ordering one for sure.

Cast in 158 grain to even lighter loads would be the perfect cast boolit platform for launching these cast loads at paper or even small game. I would think that most casters have molds that are in 38 or 357 design.
    Last edited by MOA; 03-09-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Banned
    Blow back semi autos have a narrow range of loads. One that works with mild 38 loads would come apart with full house 357s.

How about an AR in 350 Legend with an adjustable gas block ? You could shoot different power loads in that.

It's a neat idea, till you get to the picking up brass part. I surely would like a marlin 1894c in 357 though.

Boolit Master

Would be a neat idea, but I hate picking up brass from my lever actions, a semi would make it even worse. Not sure how much market there would be for a semi.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Banned
    You can buy a brass catcher for an AR. They work great.

Maybe if it was bottum eject it's be better. My wife would love one, even if it wasn't able to digest different loads just magnums.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    You can always buy a nut pick up people use them at my range i would get one but they wouldn't pick up 25 acp or any 32.

I for one agree with the OP. And if the price was semi reasonable I'd buy one.

For now I think most end up going the lever action route for that purpose.

I have to admit I'd buy a Hipoint Carbine in .38s/.357 in a heartbeat. Ugly or not.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I for one agree with the OP. And if the price was semi reasonable I'd buy one.

For now I think most end up going the lever action route for that purpose.

I have to admit I'd buy a Hipoint Carbine in .38s/.357 in a heartbeat. Ugly or not.
    How about one in 357 Sig?

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master

Watch a few episodes of an old TV series called "The Rifleman " with Chuck Conners , then tell me you could shoot a semi-auto faster than Lucas McCain can shoot that lever action.

I'll take a lever operated 38 special/357 magnum rifle over a semi any day .

Did you know his given first name is Kevin .
    With a handle like Kevin Joseph Aloysius Conners ...it's no wonder he went by "Chuck" !

More useless information,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Well, my 2 cents is this. Mech tech upper and a coonan lower. Mech tech womt make the upper, i asked. If i had access to the tooling, im betting it could be made. I would sell off a bunch of stuff to buy it.

A scaled down Remington 1100 in pistol calibers or even 45-70 would be very high on the cool factor with ergonomics to boot IMO. I like your idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Watch a few episodes of an old TV series called "The Rifleman " with Chuck Conners , then tell me you could shoot a semi-auto faster than Lucas McCain can shoot that lever action.

I'll take a lever operated 38 special/357 magnum rifle over a semi any day .

Did you know his given first name is Kevin .
    With a handle like Kevin Joseph Aloysius Conners ...it's no wonder he went by "Chuck" !

More useless information,
    Gary
    I was going to mention "The Rifleman" also, but you beat me to it. At one of our CAS meets, one of the events called for loading just 6 rounds in the lever action rifle and then shooting from the hip. I had never done that before. I actually hit the target 5 out of 6 shots.

Heh, I'd like a rifle of any sort in 9MM Makarov. Not holding my breath.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I'm sure that if Ruger and the rest of the "black gun" makers were to see the law change where detachable magazines were restricted to 3 or 5 rounds a whole lot of reworked engineering to tubular and the flex tip pointed bullets would be seeing a major ramp up at the ammo makers so they work in a tube. I'm sure that a gas management system of some simplicity could be engineered into the 1960's design of the Deerslayer. Put a nice full length Mannlicher stock to hide and protect the tube magazine and load if from the bottom just like it did the 44's. Just change the bolt face, chamber, cartridge lifter and pretty much in business. I'd incorporate a lever somewhere so you could allow more gas to bleed off for 357 mag, and that way you could shoot both cartridges. Come on........these engineers need to do something for their pay.

So that would be a shrunk and rifled 410?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    The Timberwolf was a mean machine. I wanted an external hammer however.

Heck I'd like a deer slayer in 44, but 357 would be the bees knees. Now, a pump in 357 would be sweet too, the timberwolf didn't last long and they ain't cheap now, but one would be neat.

When Bill Ruger was first getting started he turned a savage 99 into a semiauto, showed it to savage and although they didn't want to buy the idea, they were impressed. Why he didn't make the deer slayer in 357 the world will never know.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking the Maxim/Vickers machine gun's adjustable fuzee spring concept for increasing or decreasing rate of fire would be the ideal place to start for dealing with the change from .38 to .357. Only problem is that all it takes is one retard who doesn't read his manual or doesn't remember to dial in for the appropriate load to end up with chunks of bolt in his forehead to end that party right quick.

I'd be A LOT more interested in an upscaled Winchester 1890 pump gun. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I'm thinking the Maxim/Vickers machine gun's adjustable fuzee spring concept for increasing or decreasing rate of fire would be the ideal place to start for dealing with the change from .38 to .357. Only problem is that all it takes is one retard who doesn't read his manual or doesn't remember to dial in for the appropriate load to end up with chunks of bolt in his forehead to end that party right quick.

I'd be A LOT more interested in an upscaled Winchester 1890 pump gun. . .
    Now that idea has a lot going for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast