Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New rifle/carbine needed but not being made by anyone.

Seems like a lever gun like a Henry or Marlin would work for OP... Lever guns are semi-auto and you can shoot them pretty fast. I shot my Henry in a rifle comp and got 2nd...
    I didn't really care if I won, I just wanted to see the plates bounce around after being hit by a 240 grain boolit going about 1600-1700 fps...
    WWG1WGA

You could mod a 9mm blowback AR into a pump action. Wouldn’t be that hard. I’ve seen videos of the mod. Use a wood butt and pump forarm so it’s not a ‘scary’ black rifle. They use generic glock mags I think. 9mm is pretty close to a .38 and very available. I’ve built 3 blowback AR.45s, two with forward charging handles. I used the gas tube hole to run my operating rod from my charging handle to the gas key of the bcg.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 03-11-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Seems like a lever gun like a Henry or Marlin would work for OP... Lever guns are semi-auto and you can shoot them pretty fast. I shot my Henry in a rifle comp and got 2nd...
    I didn't really care if I won, I just wanted to see the plates bounce around after being hit by a 240 grain boolit going about 1600-1700 fps...

NOPE.....Want a semi-auto tube feed carbine or rifle.

Boolit Master
    Didn't John Browning make his first automatic out of a 73 Winchester ? That flapper lever contraption on the muzzle kind of spoiled the fine lines of the original rifle though!!! An upscaled 1890 Win design, with the upper end of the magazine tube designed like an M-1 op-rod and gas cylinder might work, but how would you load the magazine ? Oh, and it would need an external spring around the magazine/op rod. And I want mine in .32 S&W

A Hipoint in 10mm would be close, but it's mag fed. Have to cross breed with a Henry to get a tube. A Hihenry. Plus a little Henry good looks would go a long ways on a Hipoint.

Boolit Grand Master

The colt lightning is close to what your looking for other than the semi auto. The 351 win sl would be close though.

Boolit Master

You want something like the .351 self loading with a tube magazine. No reason one of these could be made easily enough. .358 re-barrel and a little tinkering with the bolt face on a stock .351 and you're there. Many will function with .357 mag cases as is as the extractors are worn. I used .357 Mag dies to load mine so they chamber fine.

The cases are a concern. My .351 threw them about 20 feet but this could be overcome.

Tube magazine. Now, that's a problem.

While we're wishing, I'm still waiting for my Remington slide action .223 that takes AR mags.

Think Remington made 10 of these for the Army's MTU back when the Running Boar was big in the Olympics without the AR mag feature. What a cast plinker/varmint buster that would be./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned
    My vote is for the model 1890 Pump chambered in 357. Waaaaaaay Waaaaaaay more fun than a semi auto.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Well, I just sent a note to the new CEO of Ruger re my post and thoughts, will be interesting to how it is taken. Will post anything interesting re any reply.

Quote Originally Posted by besk View Post
    The Timberwolf was a mean machine. I wanted an external hammer however.
    I saved for a long time to get mine , and I do love it . I often single feed it and slowly open the slide so I’m not chasing brass . A bolt or some falling/rolling block would probably actually suit me better .

I can usually best my lever action carbine buddies on the dueling tree , I like 38 spec with the lee 125 grain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a scaled down Ram. 760 pump ,
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master
    In pump form?

The Remington 141 in 35 Remington? Or in auto, the models 8 & 81?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The colt lightning is close to what your looking for other than the semi auto. The 351 win sl would be close though.
    Now that's an interesting thought. Except no tube mag so not to be subject to the laws coming down the road on detatchable magazines and any rechambering and possible bolt face work along with a new barrel. Nope, the closest thing out there to convert that I see is still the early Ruger 44 auto carbine of the 60's.

Boolit Master

The Timberwolf was my first thought as well, but of coarse its a pump not a auto. (My preference is the pump)

I have seen a few M1 Carbines converted to 357. This would be my thought. If you are handi and able to do some of the work yourself it would better facilitate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETyYyjUsJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M9rxjcyAj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEFTwt_Fcf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOFiTm1sLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouzzWVDBc6A

Fun project on a great caliber!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Until they ban HC magazines, I do not see a market for such a rifle. A product must appeal to a lot of people before it has a chance to succeed. Most people getting a pistol semi-auto carbine want quick reloads rather than dinking around loading a tube. And many want magazine compatibility with their semi-auto handgun(s). In this caliber range, these are going to be plinking and SD guns with no hunting market.

BTW, as others have said, a Marlin 94 or clone 73, is extremely fast if you do a bit of practice. Under 8 seconds to empty a tube full of cartridges. We have three and do a lot of plinking with them. I love the .38/.357, and have seven guns in that caliber, but would not buy a semi-auto to add to the herd. It makes more sense for me to add a 9mm carbine with Glock magazines, but even that is hard to rationalize when the pistol caliber lever actions do such a good job with everything from plinkers to heavy SD loadings.

I have stocked up on HC magazines in the hope they get grandfathered.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I have rifles on both sides of .38/.357. In my opinion, those boys had it pretty much right a hundred some years ago when they made their 'pistol caliber' carbines by chambering carbine cartridges in revolvers. The WCF family of cartridges, in particular, feed more reliably than straight wall pistol cartridges like .357 or .45 Colt.

This hand me down from 1913 is as slick now as it was when the Canadians shipped to England for the Great War. This one is in .44-40, but was also available in .38-40. The Remington Model 25 came in .25-20 and .32-20. If the family resemblance to the .22 caliber Model 12 is not clue enough, John Pedersen designed them all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12