MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Breda 1927 Mannlicher-Schonauer action

Banned

Breda 1927 Mannlicher-Schonauer action

Went to a gun show today not planning to get anything when this action, complete with trigger and that wonderful rotary magazine appeared on a table for $70. Looked at it and talked to the old guy a few minutes, nice fella. It came home with me, now I have visions of this becoming a slick, trim little sporter some day.

Anyone have any thoughts? Having a barrel put on should be straight forward enough. Does anyone make semi inletted stocks for these?

$70 ? ? .

You oughta get arrested for highway robbery...…

Macon makes full-length stocks, which can always be cut down if a rifle-type stock is desired:

https://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/...er-Example.htm

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    The magazines are VERY cartridge specific. All older ones were metrics with a lot of various 6.5 chamberings.

Banned

I kind of wondered how cartridge specific the rotary mags are, good to know. I kind of want to make it a 6.5 MS anyway, so probably won't matter.

I'll check out Macon stocks and yeah, it was a pretty good deal, real nice older gentleman who said he'd had it for over 40 years and probably wasn't ever gonna get to it.

Boolit Master
    And if you do decide to go with the 6.5 MS be advised that 160 round nosed bullets and the only ones to be used. This isn't a bad thing because that bullet will rarely deflect and is known for its penetration ability. Most of the major bullet makers carry a 160 grain round nosed bullet in their inventory. Do not use the .268 diameter Hornady bullet in your rifle/carbine. May contribute to higher pressures than normal due to it being oversized. Even the folks that sell the serbian ammo have a 160 gr RN bullet. Frank

That sounds like the start of a cool rifle. I remember a whole slew of up & down Wildcats using just a neck change to the basic 6.5x54 case. McGowen offered all of them IIRC. Pics,pics please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

But those magazines are very specific to the case and bullet because the magazine followers are specifically machined for that one combination.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    You can trim the thread of a large ring mauser barrel a little .........the M-S is 1. 1/16 x 12 tpi.......but fitting a barrel isnt that easy,it will need to be indexed exactly as the extractor and ejector need cutouts to fit in...........if you dont fully recess the cartridge base ,there is no gas shield to the rear at all.