Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Never Knew I Needed XXXX Until I Joined This Board

Boolit Buddy
    The pewter and soooooo many trips to random thrift stores.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    The pewter and soooooo many trips to random thrift stores.
    You too?
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Joined this site a little over a month ago. Every time I read this forum my list of things grows. In the past month have acquired a turkey fryer, lead hardness tester, cast iron corn bread pans, welders gloves and apron, three different sources of lead, a new work bench and cleaned the indoor range at the club where I'm a member for 1000# of range scrap! Also needed a new S&W model 57 .41 magnum to match my 9mms, .38/.357, 45ACP, and .44spcl./.44mag. to learn how to cast for. Still working my way thru making ingots, once I have that mastered I'll cast boolits and learn powder coating. I started to reload 2 years ago to make better ammo and to save some money, ha. Now I'm on a first name basis with the Fedex and UPS driver. Even if I get to stop buying things for this hobby I don't think I'll save much because I shoot a hell of a lot more ammo now. I'm really glad I joined this site for all the knowledge that I've been able to acquire about casting and powder coating and what I never knew I needed to do it all. Time to expand the work shop again.

I never knew I needed the help of this site until I joined this board.

And man, did I ever, even more than you realize. The kindness of the members, individual stories, information, and Tumbleweeds for starters. Our Chapel has helped me through trying times and I am grateful it's a big part of this site.

Thanks to all of you, I'm bound to be saving money one of these days.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

When I joined the Shooters board in the late 90's I was sure I could get it all done with a couple of Lee molds 9mm/38 and 44, ww, a 311413 and a 10 lb pot. After having delved into multiple lubes, alloys, sizers, measuring tools and custom molds I decided not to remember why I needed multiple 32 cal revolvers, contender barrels and "obsolete caliber" firearms. I do remember why I decided to never keep track of what I have spent just remember the grins.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I hadn't loaded my first cartridge when I joined the site. I just wanted a plinking load for my 30-06 so I could afford to shoot it more. Thought I could get by with a Lee loader and some commercial cast boolits...now I'm worried about the slab in my basement cracking under the weight...

Banned
    I still don't know what all I need...I keep looking here though.

Boolit Master

Mould lube!

I killed my first Lee mould in about 500 boolits.
    I cast a lot more with a dipper and a Lyman SC 358495 mould as a child without lube. Now I lube all moulds.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    An enfield stock set! Anyone have one???

And all the support from members here to learn how to do it right.

I had no idea how to cast boolits till I got on this site a year and a half ago...now I’ve shot sub moa with three different loads from my own cast! This site is awesome!!!

Didn’t know I needed a garage full of lead that I have now either!

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting long range hi power rifles actively for 25 years. 300-500 meters standard practise.

I never knew that in 2019 I'd be shooting round balls out of smooth bores with bad 50 yard accuracy - and actually have the greatest time and fun doing it.

Boolit Master
    Well, I have acquired several items I did not know I needed when I first got into shooting and reloading, and some of those items I did actually need, but at the same time I learned that I do NOT need some of it. I have learned to be a little more cautious about jumping on the latest fad.

Boolit Grand Master
    For me, BLL was one of the big improvements that I would not have realized without being here.

The PB gas checks.

The "custom" mold makers and group buys...though I do not like casting...I have bought a few.

That I made the right decision about staying with jacketed bullets for the AR's and hunting rifles.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I didn't know I (needed) so much stuff, but I enjoy all of it.

Boolit Master

I never even heard of Powder Coating until I joined this website.

So I never knew I needed a Convection Toaster Oven. And 3 more small cookie sheets and non-stick foil.

And all those ****ed Cheap *** Lee push-thru bullet sizer dies. If I'd thought far enough ahead I'd have bought a N.O.E. sizing die setup. Which I probably will anyway, as I have had to polish more then half of those dies.

Thanks for that guys.

O' and all those 6cav Lee molds and the N.O.E. & Accurate molds.

Well it did get me FINALLY to try Lee equipment again.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

The Day I joined this forum, I had never cast anything and I had NO intention to start casting my own...that changed a day or two later.
    so I guess I can say, I never knew I needed to cast my own.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

NOE bullet moulds....
    I was perfectly happy with Lyman and Lee double cavity moulds.... I had been using them for 45 freaking years and had absolutely no clue there were anything else out there... No Clue.
    Then..... I joined this site.... Everyone just talks about how perfectly bad Lee moulds are and how using a NOE mould is a religious experience . I look at the price and go... Whoa Ain't no way I'm blowing $100 on a mould. I keep reading...reading....reading...using these moulds are better than having mediocre sex .... After awhile I think...I'm going to buy one for Christmas and then put to rest all the claims as to how great they are.... I bought one, a 4 cavity 124 grain 9mm TC with GC, It drops from the mould .358 . I can size the .357 and use in 9mm, run through a .358 sizer and perfect for 38 special and 357 magnum .
    I had to eat some crow...using this mould is a pure pleasure and it truly is almost as good as mediocre sex .
    I have become addicted to the darn things , bought several more and if I had more money would replace all my Lyman and Lee's with NOE...that's saying a lot from a tightwad like me.
    I read about the other custom makers but if they're better than NOE moulds I don't know if I could stand it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I never knew that I needed black BBs, #5 plastic containers., convection oven, silicon baking sheets and of course Smoke's powder in many colors so I could PC.

Boolit Master

I can not say that castboolits has made me need anything it has taught me a lot over the past years even put me in touch with some great people . I suppose reading all i could as a kid on guns by the masters like Elmer and how many others started me right!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Never knew it'd get to the point of never buying factory loads except 22lr and casting boolits for all my rifles .I struggle to understand how people don't reload their own .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123