Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Latest Venturino Article in Handloader

Boolit Buddy

Just a comment about MV articles-totally honest and accurate

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Handloader is the only rag I subscribe to. I like to read MV and BP and a coupla other guys on there. Elmer probably got on peoples nerves writing about 2400 too. If you find a combination that works stick to it........JMHO-YMMV
    I have read everything that Mike V has written about reloading; especially with regards to forming/reloading obsolete rounds such as the Winchester bottle-necks with Betram brass. And the difficulties encountered. Unlike many writers, this guy has actually formed brass, loaded ammo and fired groups that I can believe.,,,, keep up the good work Mike V; I look forward to reading all that you write.

I enjoy Mike V’s articles!
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Mike is one of the very few gun scribes who has managed to make a full time profession of it. To do this, he must sell a quanity of articles on an ongoing basis. He is a great guy and over his career has made significant contribution to shooting and handloading. I can forgive his occasional "fluff for the buck" article.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I only read Handloader at a bookstore/coffee shop while waiting for wife & daughter mall-shopping. I take snapshot of loads that may interest me.
    Usually browse/read cover-to-cover & still got time to read other mags before they fetch me.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Mold
    Ghost Writers!

I wish he'd talk round here. He shares a love for revolvers and old guns. He ain't afraid to experiment.

Boolit Grand Master

Mike used to post here quite a bit. He got a raft of criticism (being nice with that word) from the "experts" here and quit posting. Can't say I blame him.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Some of the " experts : have caused more then a few members to not post as much , it is a shame . And the group loses out on the wisdom of a member who is knowledgeable about our hobby.

Disagreement about a topic is one thing , as not all peoples experiences mirror the others experiences , what works for one does not always work for the other .

But at times where does one draw the line when someone starts being snide or rude ? More shooting , casting and loading internet experts should spend more time at the range or bench , and less time online .

Banned

I didn't renew it last month.............not enough useful information for the subscription price! In regards to Mike Venturino articles.......he recycles them from the different magazines he writes for IMO!
    Last edited by smithnframe; 05-09-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I have two...and only two....copies of Handloader, from the 80's. I bought them out of a stack of magazines because the they had the first solid information on why Norma's 6.5 Jap ammo swelled so bad in Arisaka chambers. Through a LOT of investigative work, the two authors discovered that the Japanese REDUCED the diameter of the 6.5 for more reliable feeding in the Nambu machine gun. Norma obtained one of these undersized cartridges after the war and copied it. Hence, the false rumor that "all Jap chambers were oversize". Photos/measurements of both early and later Japanese cartridges confirmed it.

I've posted that nugget of info on several discussions regarding Norma ammunition, and it settled a lot of arguments.

But after seeing a couple of the latest issues..........no, I won't subscribe. The "meat" just isn't there any more.

Well, I'll buck the trend. Least ways a little. I find that handloader is interesting and I learn from it. Course, I don't know everything about loading and casting for every caliber and gun. Maybe I don't glean huge amounts of brand new info every issue, but sometimes seeing things from a different perspective helps me to figure out better ways to perfect my own techniques.

Boolit Master
    ive been subscribing to handloader for about 18 years still enjoy it ,Pearce and Barness are my favorite writers .

I've been reading Handloader for several years. I enjoyed Mikes articles in Shooting Times years ago. Also Ric Jamison before he got the Winchester ax. Long time ago for sure.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master

Why stop now ?

Well OK, I just read all the posts up to here, so I’ll stick my oar in the water too. I have subscribed to Handloader and Rifle from issue 1 of both. It is true that the more you know, the fewer new things you find in each issue, this is a function of age, but I have never found nothing of interest.
    Since some mention Mike Venturino, I looked for his byline in the latest issue of each. His column in handloader #326 is a thorough information dump on the .38 Special, and pictures of all the .38 rounds lined up was interesting to me. His column in rifle #311 was a thorough information dump about the M1 Carbine, and seeing the .30 carbine round stood up next to the .32 WSL interested me, as well as pictures & history of the model variations.
    These writers serve as stores of information as well as investigators of the vastly expanded shooting sports “technical” side since I grew up. I can not unsubscribe now.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    Two best gun magazines in my opinion are Handloader and Shooting Times. I am a dinosaur though, and mostly reload cartridges developed before say 1909. 32 S&W Long, 38 Special, 44 Special, and 30-06. Exceptions to my rule: 223 and 308. Other gun magazines seem to mostly cover the newest black plastic wonder nines. Seen one you've seen 'em all.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    I still subscribe to Handloader. Not every issue has me reading cover-to-cover, but there's usually an informative article or two.
    The indexes are very useful for looking up older issues that may contain good data--I recently purchased a couple of older magazines with info on Martini Henry loads. Not perfect , but good data sets for reference.

I dropped my subscriptions of all Gun rags about three years ago. Just got to point I would thumb through them and toss. I don’t pay much attention to self appointed experts. I’ve been loading and casting bullets since a young kid. Under several adults who did it their whole life. I haven’t much experience with new Cartridges in last 20 years. I have loaded a few to manual specs for friends but the last 100yrs worth there isn’t much I haven’t loaded for in American or military calibers.

I owe Mike Venturino a debt of gratitude for exposing me, through his articles and experiences, for my love of BPCR, lever action rifles and single action army revolvers as well as old bolt action military rifles. I was a subscriber of all gun rags until I kept reading articles I could have sworn I read the month or more before. So I started to pare down my magazine collection till I had only Rifle and Handloader. I eventually stopped them because my experience level is sufficient to where I don't need to rely on them for info. I also reasoned I have a good reference for load data yet have never once consulted them for that because it is a total PITA to dig through them to try and remember where I read that and when. If I have anything I need to know I come here, best place to do so.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Buddy
    I have suscribed to Handloader off and on over the years. A magazine I really enjoyed and a staff of knowledgeable "been there, done that" writers. Mike Venturino has been one of my favorites every since he had an article published back in the 80's about using a single action as a carry gun rather than a dbl action or autoloader. One of his articles in Handloader many years ago was titled 'Handloader Loonies'. I fired off an email to Wolfe Publishing and asked if Mike had been talking to my wife because he had described me perfectly. Next day got an email from him thanking me for responding to his column.

Have had 2 or 3 other occasions to send and receive a short message with him. Always down to earth and not tooting his own horn. I like him and consider him to be a writer with real experience.

Oh, and Mike, if you ever come back on this site and read this, remember 44 caliber starts at .429 (just kidding- you know I load 44-40's too).
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Mike is the reason that I got into bullet casting. His simplified approach made it seem doable and it was.

His edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook is very helpful. His books on leverguns and casting for military rifles are treasures.

I used to live in Montana and saw him regularly at gun shows and cowboy shoots. He was very personable and was delighted to answer questions and be of help.

Hats off to Mike!

Russ

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast