Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication PBcastco
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Latest Venturino Article in Handloader

Boolit Master
    The earlier magazines, like Shooting and Fishing, were more like the Internet forums in that they had few big Feature Articles by established writers and more short Correspondence, i.e., letters from people on specific, short topics. There doesn’t seem to be space in magazines for such miscellaneous footnotes any more. Their loss.

Jack O’Connor mentioned that any writer’s interests and expertise are necessarily finite, while the deadlines keep coming forever. Over the years, their writings start to resemble circus lemonade, where they put a lemon into a barrel of water and keep adding water as the product is dispensed. Eventually it gets kind of “thin,” like the repetitive articles of the writers.

He said one gun writer of his acquaintance once shot a bighorn ram. He got the standard photo of himself with rifle and ram, then had his guide drag the carcass all over the mountain, getting pictures of himself against different trees in the timberline, different mountains in the background, different times of day, and so forth. Then he took more pictures of the well-traveled ram hanging in camp and being dressed. Then it was off to the butcher, with the same variety of people and backgrounds being photographed as the animal was cut up. Then it was ho for the taxidermist, with photos of the head being mounted and the hide tanned.

The guy parlayed that single hunt into dozens of articles on “sheep hunts,” hunting camps, field dressing, butchering and preservation of trophies. His readers must have thought he was an expert of vast experience, and, in a way, he was kind of a genius.

Boolit Master
    Those of you griping about Mike, before you sprain something please consider that there are precious few authors writing about anything to do with cast bullets, or even handloading these days. While I may not agree with 100% of what he writes, he has my respect and thanks for what he does.

Boolit Master

In the latest Handloader Mike Venturino has an article about revolver loads. I'm not going to say too much except that I found several nuggets that I sometimes forget. Sometimes my brain doesn't shift from autoloaders to revolvers so that article was of value to me.

I guess I should ask a mod to close this before I get pilloried for liking an article in Handloader. I won't though because it will be interesting.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Honestly though.... The vast bulk of breakthroughs in Cast Boolits over the last 15 years or so have come right here on the Cast Boolits forum...

I am really surprised that the gun rags don't start contacting some of the better authors on the forums to get some fresh magazine fodder....

For example - Many many enthusiast magazines used to publish articles by regular joes who would write them. Jim Bob would submit an interesting article one month and it would get published a few months later... Then John Boy would submit an article next month and so on... Many of these mags really didn't have frequent repeat authors as it takes a while to generate good new interesting content. Probably the biggest contribution from "The Magazine" was editors to clean it all up and make it reader friendly....

And you have to keep this pipeline running because it takes a lot of TIME to generate really good content. A real life person with a family and a day job would be doing well to generate 2 good articles a year just because of the hours it takes.

But we don't see that much now except in Gun Tests and the Backwoods magazine... The rest seem to be almost completely done by a whole host of professional writers and editors.... Sure - they are well written and have beautiful photos - but their content is old and repetitive....

But I am not really sure how to fix this.... That's not really a world I traffic in.
    Last edited by truckjohn; 05-09-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Cast bullet enthusiasts are an incredibly small part of the readership of most gun magazines. HANDLOADER is about that only one that publishes anything cast bullet related and even those articles are of a more general nature than they would have been some years ago. Folks like to criticize Venturino, but some of his articles from thirty or more years ago involved lots of testing and experimentation with alloys, sizing diameters, load data, etc. I'm pretty sure he's had to go along with the current trend toward the more generalized cast bullet articles as opposed to the in-depth material that people here like to read.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I

But the man Bad-Mouthed JACK O'CONNER, HE WAS MY HERO GROWING UP. So he sure as heck ain't perfect.
    I had an old friend who guided O'Conner a few times. If you had heard his stories of what really happened, you may have changed your mind.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I had an old friend who guided O'Conner a few times. If you had heard his stories of what really happened, you may have changed your mind.
    I've heard he was a very difficult man.

I like Mike Venturino's articles. Granted, I don't read a lot of gun magazines anymore, most of my experience reading his articles is from several years ago.

Boolit Master
    give credit where it is due, he is pushing 70 and writes articles that we simple folk enjoy and understand. he has had health issues also. he writes good articles.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve enjoyed his articles over the years. He was one of the few (only one?) who regularly covered black powder and casting in mainstream gun mags. But he wasn’t stuck in the 19th century either, shooting ARs and a variety of other cartridges and rifle designs. I never heard him go on a feud with other writers and seems a gentleman.

Craig Boddington is another of my all-time favorite writers.

Boolit Master

I like Venturino's articles as he shares the same interests i have in shooting cast in military rifles. Then i got to chatting with him as a Facebook friend and occasionally in a Forum message here on Cast Boolits (he is a member although he rarely posts, and considering this thread, I can understand why) where I learned to appreciate his humor and knowledge as a person outside of the articles.

That said, I'm not a fan of Craig Boddington. He threw his Marine Corps Reserve officer rank onto all his articles in every magazine he sold an inch of copy too until he was told to stop it by the Commandant when he was promoted to Brigadier General. As an Active Duty Public Affairs Officer in the Army and prior to that a Public Affairs NCO in the Marines, we were SPECIFICALLY told to never use our ranks as a means of a commercial gain. It seems someone never pushed the issue with old "Craig B." the famous gun rag writer..

And don't get me started on that idiot David Fortier who is a military spouse who writes about tactical firearms and their usage....And has never served in the military or even a police department.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Vendor Sponsor

One of the things Mike Venturino does well that is very important to his writing is the research. For forty years he has taking the time to get the historical origins of what ever subject he is covering. I like that aspect when I am reading to learn about a new to me topic. It puts into perspective how and why a firearm or ammo developed into what it is.
    The little contact I have had with Mike tells me he is a very down to earth guy. I hope he is writing for a long time to come.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I had several pleasant dealings with him 15 or so years ago when my wife and I were active SASS shooters. He was always helpful and a true gentleman and I was fortunate to buy several of his books just as they came out. They remain some of my most frequently used references relating to shooting cast boolits in original and reproduction Old West arms. GF

Bottom line, I like Mike Venturino.
    His detractors can pound salt and blow.

Keep writing Mike! I'm reading as you do.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Kinda what I thought - over bearing.

Boolit Master
    So what's wrong with Lyman molds and 5744??

Boolit Master

Nothing, but there is more to casting and shooting cast than that combination.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Bottom line, I like Mike Venturino.
    His detractors can pound salt and blow.

Keep writing Mike! I'm reading as you do.
    . This^^^

I met Mr. Venturino at the Shilo Rifle co. in Big Timber a few years ago. A chance meeting, but as I introduced myself, he shook my hand and chatted for a few minutes. A gracious individual with a ton of knowledge and experience in his skull. If those of you that do not agree with his writing, ok fine. Don't agree. But don't bag on the guy because he doesn't post your load. He is reporting what has worked for him. I'd wager that there are very few of us here that have shoved the amount of lead down range that he has. Bottom line, if you don't agree with what he writes, ignore it or write up your findings. I read everything I can on cast and loads, so I'd look forward to anything anyone has to offer.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to Mike V. for hanging in there.
    The writers about cast bullets are thinning ranks and its not a lucrative job.
    Writing an article with safe reloads for the public as well as having tested, by travelling and spending time shooting is not an easy job. A labor of love for sure and pride in getting out an article acceptable to the magazine.
    Keeping the interest alive in shooting, casting, and reloading, using the safest powders available in today's market, well i can appreciate his efforts.
    The milsurp rifles considered, this is a teaching class in reloading for the whole spectrum of people who pick up Handloader Magazine and who can safely follow the article and achieve the same results.
    Those reloaders who pick at this or that article are welcome to write your own article about cast bullet loads and submit it.
    A caring writer has to follow KISS rules today.
    (keep it simple stupid)
    While keeping the article timely and real.
    Across the spectrum of readers are people from experienced to dumb as a rock when it comes to reloading.
    Mike uses language that explains and keeps it real for everyone who reads his forays into reloading.
    He's college degreed and loves casting and reloading.
    Keep on writing Mike!

I like Mikes articles although I don't follow the same path with my casting most of the time. I don't follow what others here do most of the time. I don't load rifle rounds with pistol powders much. I am one of those rare few that thinks I'm saving money loading and casting my own.

Boolit Master

Handloader is the only rag I subscribe to. I like to read MV and BP and a coupla other guys on there. Elmer probably got on peoples nerves writing about 2400 too. If you find a combination that works stick to it........JMHO-YMMV
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast