MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: BP fouling

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia

BP fouling

Quick question about what to use!!!!!!!!!! I have a RB #1, 45-70, I only use Black Powder and to use a damp patch to clean my "FOULING" I can not get a good patch.....It's to small or to large. I have a good bore cleaner solvent I am using from "Paul Matthews" and it works very good ONLY, getting a good size patch. tried the 2 1/2 & 2 1/4 different thickness, but to small or large. Same with using a 44 cal or 45 cal jag. "Who makes a good patches I can use?" The 2 1/2 works good AFTER the bore has been cleaned......Thanks beng

Banned

tepid plain water patch followed by a dry patch for fouling control between shots. some folks like to add a bit of water soluble oil (ballistol et al) to the water ("moose milk") but it's really not necessary. some of us realize the value of bore wipers for fouling control. after the last shot of the day, and before cleaning (aka "the trip back to the ranch") is when i'll use a very wet moose milk patch down the bore and spritz the lock and action, too. this is for any black powder gun, muzzleloader or cartridge. it's that time before cleaning that's important and too often neglected, which breeds issues that will require concoctions ("bore cleaning solvents") and more invasive methods of clearing out the bp residue ... and the the things it does to metal.

i use the newer arsenal "throw away" patches which are not the best but work well enuf for me. for cleaning, find or make a jag that will yield a snug to tight fit with whatever patch material you use. cleaning is not the same as fouling control.

Boolit Grand Master

You might Try a nylon brush with the patch wrapped around it. This may give the fit you want with the patch. but it wont release the patch at the muzzle either. The other trick is to find a to big combination of jag and patch then polish the jag down to the fit you want then stock up on those patches. Are you wanting a push jag or wrap jag?
    My heavy cleaning rod uses 10-32 threads and its hard to find jag for it so I turn them up from nylon for it in the lathe. Doesn't take long and I can have just the size I need. You can clamp a to big jag in a drill press or drill motor and work it down with a file or sand paper. When doing this buy a big supply of patches so you aren't reworking the jags as often.

Boolit Master
    I also would recommend trying a nylon brush. The Tipton ones will release patches at the muzzle more easily than the Dewey ones.

Chris.

Banned

a bore gopher/pig/wiper is really the answer, and save precious time on the sticks.

Good patches are to find even the arsenal patches lately are thin.
    I go to Walmart and buy 3-4 yards of their 100% cotton flannel and use a roller fabric cutter and fold the flannel in 4 layers and cut them in 2", 2.5" or 3" squares depending or the jags or brush I use. I get over a thousand in less than an hour cut for a lot less than buying patches.
    A lot of patches are cut from synthetic T shirt stuff that is far from satisfactory for good patches.
    Attachment 237662

Banned

now to find or make a square patch patch popper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    cool! can i buy one that you've made?

Boolit Master
    Recently I spent a couple of days cutting worn out flannel shirts into 2" squares. I've not yet had an opportunity to try them.

Naw Rob I'm retired.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    I can not get a good patch.....It's to small or to large. "Who makes a good patches I can use?" The 2 1/2 works good AFTER the bore has been cleaned.
    The best fitting patches are the patches you custom cut to size to fit your jag or brush.
    The the commercial synthetic patches and the patches cut from T-shirt fabric are total ****.
    The only commercial patches I’ve found that are good are the Butch’s 100% cotton patches but they are expensive.

It is best to goto a fabric store, they have a large variety of 100% cotton material.
    Take a sample of your favourite patch and your micrometer. Get the store clerk to take you to the bolts of cotton material. Read the labels on bolt end panels. Find a 100% cotton cloth you like the feel of and that mic’s thick enough. Take a cell phone photo of the bolt end panel for future reference. Buy some yardage of the chosen cloth. Get a rotary cutter and plastic cutting mat while you’re at the fabric store.
    At home wash the yardage of fabric you bought twice to get the sizing starch out, dry the cloth on high heat to shrink it, that tightens the weave. DON’T use any kind of fabric softener in the wash or dryer. Iron the fabric flat to remove the wrinkles.
    As for the patch size to cut, you can custom cut the patch dimensions to fit your jag or use a fixed standard size like 2 ¼” and lightly sand down the diameter of your jags. Spin them in a drill press and hold a stiff backed piece of very fine sand paper (600 grit) against the spinning jag till that custome tuned jag fits combination of your patch and bore.

The first patch down the BP fouled bore is best wrapped around a nylon bristle brush, heavily wet bore and patch use water or solvent what ever prove to work best for you in your rifle. Subsequent patches need less wetting.

The Track of The Wolf web site has lot of jags and in the common 8-32 size plus the 10-32 size which is popular with muzzle loader shooters.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 03-10-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    best place to buy Nylon bore brushes with brass/bronze wire

https://deweyrods.com/product-catego...rushes/page/3/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Recently I spent a couple of days cutting worn out flannel shirts into 2" squares. I've not yet had an opportunity to try them.
    If ya wear ya shirts out like I do - ya gonna find about one patch thickness variation from thin to thick - works fine for cleaning - new material would be smarter for on the range I reckon .

Boolit Master
    I really like the Tipton SET of brass jags that will cover ALL bore sizes. A person
    can just go down the row of jags in the box and pick out/try the jag size that works
    with the patches on hand. I have two sets. One for in the shop by the Tipton cradle
    and another set in my range bag.
    I Really like the Graphite Tipton Rods for cleaning work. Best rods I have ever had in my
    77yrs
    Oh, and tipton also sells Sets of brushes, too
    NO, I do not have any "stock" in Tipton
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    I really like the Tipton SET of brass jags that will cover ALL bore sizes. A person
    can just go down the row of jags in the box and pick out/try the jag size that works
    with the patches on hand. I have two sets. One for in the shop by the Tipton cradle
    and another set in my range bag.
    I Really like the Graphite Tipton Rods for cleaning work. Best rods I have ever had in my
    77yrs
    Oh, and tipton also sells Sets of brushes, too
    NO, I do not have any "stock" in Tipton
    beltfed/arnie
    I just did get a set of those Tipton jags. Haven't yet had a need to use them.

I like the Montana extreme Jags. They are long and a 3" patch just covers them that makes a lot of patch surface in tight contact with the bore.

Boolit Man
    I buy 100% cotton (cozy) flannel from JoAnn Fabric (its on sale most of the time), and I cut it to fit my needs with a traditional school house paper cutter. I found that I can cut thru 10 layers without to much of a problem.

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia
    Thanks .............I did try the nylon brush on a short pistol rod, it worked good.......A guy at the range came over he said he was watching me on the brush thing....We got to talking about it and come to find out, I just ordered 200 new 45-70 brass. They worked okay so I just put in the powder, put on a 535 boolit and let it go....The first 5 rounds were all over the target. and I had trouble running the fouling patch into the barrel. (I shot about 50 rounds like this) What I was told after he watched me and looked at the brass and targets.....Came up with "The brass was a little to small (not fire formed) the powders were coming back into the chamber on the out side of the brass packing the foulings at the chamber edge. Took other rounds that had been fired and they came out very good with only LIGHT fouling. The patch would go into the barrel then. But if I have trouble with more foulings, use a nylon brush Again Thanks again to all beng