Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Wc868

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

Wc868

I bought two 8 pound canisters of wc 868 by mistake. Was going to try to use it in shotgun. Don't hunt or shoot trap or skeet just shoot for fun so all i needed it to do was go bang. Shot shell primer will not ignite this stuff. I have seen that some people recommend using small amount of fast burning powder next to primer to ignite this powder. Anyone have any experience with this powder or doing this i have never tried this type of load. I hate to just throw 16 pounds of powder away but don't want to blow up a gun either.

Trade it for shotshell powder or buy a Weatherby.

It is supposed to be good powder for the magnums but i don't own one. Maybe its time.

Boolit Master
    Is it wc 868 or wc 860? I've used wc 860 with 4227 "kicker" in .375 H & H and found it to work very well and it is about as inexpensive a way to shoot the big case cartridges (using boolits) as I am aware of ( of course, I am cheap.).
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Bub
    I am not sure the difference or have ever tried what your hoping to do, but wc867 works great in my 50bmg. I'd assume 868 would be close to 867 and way slow for a shotgun.

Adam

Its wc868 and yes it does work good in the 50 bmg also is supposed to be good in the large magnum cases. Unfortunately i do not own anything it is supposed to work well in. I have seen where other people claim that if you put a small amount of fast burning powder next to the primer it will help it ignite. I bought this stuff by mistake and i know that sounds crazy but i did. I hate to throw 16 pounds powder away. I thought i could use it in light shotgun loads but a shotgun primer will not ignite it. I did get a really good deal so if it turns out to end up as fertilizer then thats what has to be. Or i will just hang on to it hoping i get something it will work in.

Boolit Grand Master

Before you put it on the lawn PM me.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Well i found a use i think. H100 is listed as being able to use this load data went to load some 6.5 x55 and realized i was out of powder looking it up h100 was listed for 160 gr bullet so going to start low and give it a try .

Boolit Bub
    It is a 20mm Vulcan cannon powder. It works great in the 50BMG but I can't see any way to make it work in shotgun shells even if you use black powder to light it up. Its way way way too slow. I've tried it in my 20mm Solothurn but its too fast. I do use about 10grains of FFFg black powder to help light this and any other ball powder up in the 20mm and 24mm cannons. Its tough to light. The 50 has no problems though. I have been running it in the BMG for my Boys rifle and I'm looking at using it in the 338 Lapua mag and new 33XC. The magnum primers usually have no problem lighting these powders. There are guys out there who like that powder for their 50s but I think your 6.5 is a little small to really get any good out of it. You need a longer barrel with a bigger bore to make it worth fooling with.

Frank

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    There is huge amount of load info in Castpics. WC860-870 works well in a LOT of situations, especially with cast, in most any medium to large volume cartridge, usually of .30 caliber or larger.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Well i found a use i think. H100 is listed as being able to use this load data went to load some 6.5 x55 and realized i was out of powder looking it up h100 was listed for 160 gr bullet so going to start low and give it a try .
    I shoot wc872 in my 6.5 Swede M96 with 160 gr Hornady, it's quite accurate and velocity is 2400 fps, I load 53.0 grs in RP brass.
    Charter Member #148

Well took my 6.5 to range today and it was quite accurate once sighted in. Couldn't say what the velocity was no chronograph. Used 35 grain charge seemed mild primers looked ok and since i don't hunt as long as it is accurate its ok by me. I have been working on this gun on and off for over 30 years and today is first time it has ever been shot . That may have added to my enjoyment. Next project is to mount a scope. I can only do so well with iron sights even good ones. And yes this is powder for 20 mm cannon supposed to be one of the slowest duplex powders out there. So it really surprised me that i found data on a 6.5 . And it wouldn't work in shotgun as it wouldn't ignite.

Boolit Grand Master

Red Bear find an older Hodgdon Powder manual, any data in there for H870 can be used for the WC868 you have, just use start load and work up. I have shot lots of WC 860 and WC 872 in 270 Win also with 150 jacketed, and very accurate with heavy bullet 8mm mauser, you have plenty powder to play around with, enjoy!
    Charter Member #148

Yea i didn't know what i was going to do with this stuff now i wish i had bought more it was well under $10 a pound. Not bad for rifle powder. Bought other surplus powder for some of my other rifles but it was close to $10 pound wish i had bought more of the 868. Now that me and the misses and me are both retired and the range is only bout 4 miles away not sure just ow long it will last. I have really been going through powder and primers lately.

Boolit Grand Master

I have really been going through powder and primers lately.

That sounds like a lot of fun!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I am glad you can put that powder to work .