RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P 15 22 cal. recall

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 22 cal. recall

I just got a email from S&W that they are recalling their M&P 15 rifles and pistols in 22 cal. rimfire. All models made before Feb. 2019 are in the recall. It appears that the bolt face was not machined to the proper depth that allowed headspace problems and possible slam fires. If you have one, contact Smith & Wesson for repair work.

Boolit Buddy
    I got mine from a buddy without the paperwork, anyone know how to tell manufacture date other than contacting S&W.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

If you got it from your buddy more then a month ago, it is on the recall list. The cutoff date is Feb.1, 2019 this year.

IMPORTANT! M&P15-22 CONSUMER SAFETY ALERT AND INSPECTION PROCEDURE
    Aalso posted this in the INGO safety recall listing, but in case some people don't see that posting here as well.

I currently don't trust the serial number checking page, as my gun was manufactured before Feb, 2019 and showed it was not applicable, as well as the fact that the page says it is a temporary staging environment, makes me believe it may not be 100% reliable. I was able to place an order for the gauge using the same serial number, so hopefully that works.

Received this from S&W a few minutes ago:

DESCRIPTION - Please Read This If You Have A M&P15-22 Rimfire Firearm.

PRODUCT AFFECTED:
    ALL models of M&P15-22 rifles and pistols manufactured before February 1, 2019.

STOP USING YOUR M&P15-22 UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND YOUR BOLT REPLACED (IF NECESSARY).
    Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P15-22 firearms from recent production on which the breech face counter bore depth was not within manufacturing specification. In those firearms, the lack of depth may allow the bolt, upon closing, to crush the rim of the case, causing the round to fire, cycling the bolt, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger. This issue can occur in the following two scenarios:

1) With a loaded magazine in the firearm and the bolt locked to the rear, depressing the bolt release to allow the bolt to drop freely may ignite the round as the bolt closes without engaging the trigger and with the safety selector in either the safe or the fire position, and may also result in multiple discharges.

2) With a loaded magazine in the firearm, bolt in the closed position and a round in the chamber and the safety selector in the fire position, depressing the trigger will cause the round to fire normally, however as the bolt cycles, the next round may be ignited by the bolt crushing the rim of the case as it closes, causing multiple discharges.

We believe that these are isolated incidents, however, any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury. Therefore, we have developed this inspection procedure to ensure that all products in the field are safe to use. We are asking customers to perform the following procedure and to refrain from using their M&P15-22 until the bolt has been inspected and replaced as necessary.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT INVOLVED:
    The out of specification condition has been found only in bolts that were recently manufactured. While our investigation suggests that the incidents are isolated, we have established this inspection procedure as a precautionary matter to ensure that all M&P15-22 firearms in service meet our design specifications. We are asking consumers of all M&P15-22 firearms manufactured before February 1, 2019 to inspect their bolt for this condition.

REMEDY/ACTION TO BE TAKEN:
    The bolt from your M&P15-22 must be inspected to determine whether it exhibits the condition identified in this notice. To determine whether your firearm is affected by this condition, please inspect your firearm by following the inspection instructions provided here.
    DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTION MANUAL | VIEW INSPECTION VIDEO

CLICK HERE FOR FAQ FACT SHEET
    If you are uncomfortable in conducting the bolt inspection outlined here, or are unsure whether the condition described in this notice applies to your bolt, please send your bolt to Smith & Wesson for inspection and replacement if necessary.
    If you want Smith & Wesson to perform the inspection, send your bolt to Smith & Wesson for free inspection and replacement (if necessary).

If you want to perform the bolt inspection yourself, contact us for the free M&P15-22 BOLT INSPECTION GAUGE Part Number: 3012155 OR place an ORDER ONLINE to receive inspection gauge.

If the bolt from your firearm is affected by the condition outlined in this notice, please send the bolt to Smith & Wesson. If necessary, your bolt will be replaced at no cost to you. Your bolt will be returned as quickly and efficiently as possible. All shipping and replacement costs will be covered by Smith & Wesson.

To determine if this consumer advisory applies to your M&P15-22 firearm, please utilize our
    SERIAL NUMBER VERIFICATION TOOL

Website For More Information: MP15-22SafetyAlert.com
    Email: MP15-22SafetyAlert@smith-wesson.com
    Customer Service Phone: 1-800-713-0356

Boolit Master

I have shot mine many times it never misbehaved. I think if there was an issue it would have showed up by now. Mine is one of the 1st models that came out.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    I got it last year so yeah, I'll be checking into it, thanks for the heads up....
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Runaway guns what fun that could be!

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve put thousands of rounds through mine without issue. Sounds like somebody screwed up the go/no-go gauge procedure.

It's easy enough to check to see if your bolt is out of spec.

Take a 223rem case and a set of calipers or mic. Measure the case length, I like to set the calipers to zero. Drop a 22lr round in the 223rem case, you'll see the 22lr will go in up to the rim. Now measure the 223rem case/22lr combo. This will tell you the rim thickness of the 22lr round/ammo. Measure 9 or 10 of them you'll find they will be anywhere from 38/1000th's to 43/100th's. Typically cheap blammo ammo/bulk ammo/hunting ammo will be in the 38/1000th's to 41/1000th's range. A lot of the mid grade match ammo will be in the 41/1000th's to 43/1000th's range.

When re-doing the bolt faces on the ruger 10-22's we typically take the bolt face down to 43/1000th's. They come from the factory in the 47/1000th's to 51/1000th's range.

Anyway after measuring +/- 10 different 22lr rims you'll get an idea of the rim thickness needed on your bolt face. Put a strait edge across your bolt face and see if one of the rounds you measured will side into the bolt face under the strait edge. Measure the distance from the bolt face to the bottom of the recessed area where the base of the 22lr round sits/fp hits the rim. For production firearms you want +/- 47/1000th's. For match grade target rifles you want 43/1000th's.

Anything under 43/1000th's and you can start having issues like the ones in the posts above, namely slam fires.