Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: For those that make and enjoy their own sauerkraut.

Boolit Master

For those that make and enjoy their own sauerkraut.

I opened a new jar of my homemade sauerkraut sometime back and was just eating it out of the jar. Thought to myself, there ought to be a recipe for a sauerkraut salad some place. Looked around on the web and really didn't find anything interesting. Started fooling around with it and finally came up with this. Another way to enjoy the stuff, other than cooking it. Adds to a meal really well, especially to those of us who love this stuff. Now, my recipe is simply 3 tbsp of salt to 5 lbs of shredded cabbage--layer it in a crock and beat down each time you add a layer. On top of each layer, I add a tbsp of caraway seed, maybe a little more. Anyway, its a recipe from my parents and I truly love it. Here's my salad recipe.
    1/4-3/8 cup
    chopped carrots
    chopped celery, onion
    chopped bell peppers
    chopped sliced Manzanilla Olives with Pimento
    chopped dill pickles
    Anything else you like
    1 pint of homemade sauerkraut
    Total, 1/2 cup of sauerkraut juice, olive juice and pickle juice.
    1/4 cup of EVOO (optional)
    Oops, forgot and had to edit. I put about 3/4 cup of elbow macaroni in mine, any pasta would do. I put in the small macaroni like that used in the original Mac & Cheese.

Chop it all up, toss it all up and enjoy. I can eat this stuff as a bedtime snack, I swear. I use no "heat" in mine, as my wife cannot tolerate it. If it was just me, I'd add some chopped pickled jalapenos in it. I can always do that in my portion.
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-08-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Correction
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow... that sounds good!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds really good I wrote the recipe down. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

What the heck is EVOO?????
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    The caraway seed is pretty key in my opinion, sounds like you've got this down.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
    what the heck is evoo?????
    Extra virgin olive oil. Tells me you don't watch a bunch of cooking shows! LOL Not being disrespectful or anything--
    Rachel Ray uses the term like we southerners use Ya'll!! Any oil would do. It's optional, the mixture tastes pretty good without it.
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-09-2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    The caraway seed is pretty key in my opinion, sounds like you've got this down.
    Attachment 237625

Ya think? That's last year's batch. Been doing it for about 40 years. Love the stuff. An old post of mine from the archives.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-177209.html

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post

Ya think? That's last year's batch. Been doing it for about 40 years. Love the stuff. An old post of mine from the archives.
    I really do, it adds a lot. Always had it that way at home and it doesn't taste right to me without it. I put the carrots directly in with the cabbage while it's picking as well though, that's the way I learned to do it from my parents.

Boolit Master

There are some other herbs that would probably do quite nicely in kraut. Dill is one that I've been tempted to try. However, as said, this was my parents' recipe and I love it. Rosemary is another flavor that would probably go nicely. Maybe one day I will make some small batches just to see and play with various flavors. Need to get a couple of gallon pickle jugs and some airlocks for the lids. Maybe one day I'll stumble over a couple of 2 gallon crocks--that would work, too. I have notices some "designer" krauts in the local grocery stores with various herbs. Never been tempted to try them, though.
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-09-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Additional info

Boolit Master

mother-in-law made german pizza the last time we visited, what is german pizza you might ask, well its pizza that has sauerkraut and sausage on it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    mother-in-law made german pizza the last time we visited, what is german pizza you might ask, well its pizza that has sauerkraut and sausage on it.
    I gotta try that! Never thought of it. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    That sounds terrible and delicious at the same time. I must try it . . .
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Theres a pizza place we go to that has a pizza called the Sawtooth that has sourkraut, andoui sausage, and pineapple. Its by far my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    There are some other herbs that would probably do quite nicely in kraut. Dill is one that I've been tempted to try. However, as said, this was my parents' recipe and I love it. Rosemary is another flavor that would probably go nicely. Maybe one day I will make some small batches just to see and play with various flavors. Need to get a couple of gallon pickle jugs and some airlocks for the lids. Maybe one day I'll stumble over a couple of 2 gallon crocks--that would work, too. I have notices some "designer" krauts in the local grocery stores with various herbs. Never been tempted to try them, though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-He...l-Jar/16486707

I have one like this and a 1-gallon. Thy didn't cost that much at the store.

I have a batch in the small one right now. I tryed a batch with some dill but didn't care for it that much. I have seen where thy put in cut up apples to ferment with the cabbage. May have to try that some time.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master

If you are ever near a shop that sells brewing supplies, pick up an airlock. They have expensive ones and cheap plastic ones. Drill a hole the right size in the center of a gallon pickle jar lid and epoxy the airlock in--fermentation vessel. Here's one Amazon sells.
    https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Bubble-A...ateway&sr=8-10
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-27-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Additional info

Boolit Buddy

My son tried sauerkraut for the first time last year...and has since become addicted to it!
    I'm encouraging him to try making his own. I'll have him check this recipe out

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-He...l-Jar/16486707

I have one like this and a 1-gallon. Thy didn't cost that much at the store.

I have a batch in the small one right now. I tryed a batch with some dill but didn't care for it that much. I have seen where thy put in cut up apples to ferment with the cabbage. May have to try that some time.
    I'm not sure about the apples, dunno. Anyway, thanks for the info on the jars. Have to look next time I'm in Wally World.

gbrown
    The brew shop should have rubber grommets that fit the airlock you can install. Way better than epoxy because its not permanent

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    gbrown
    The brew shop should have rubber grommets that fit the airlock you can install. Way better than epoxy because its not permanent
    Thanks, I'll check next time I'm by there.

Moderator Emeritus

I use these airlocks, easier to clean if foam gets up in one https://www.northernbrewer.com/colle...-piece-airlock
    grommets https://www.northernbrewer.com/produ...grommet-5-pack