Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Recipes Wanted. 3"Fiocchi 00 buckshot and Bluedot

Recipes Wanted. 3"Fiocchi 00 buckshot and Bluedot

Hello to you all,
    I am looking at firing up the cauldron and making some more high quality #00 buckshot again. (Water quenched 50/50 lead/WW)

I am in Australia and a while back imported some components to make tri-ball loads (successfully).
    I am looking for your proven recipes for Fiocchi 3" straight walled hulls, Bluedot and roll crimps.
    I like using teflon wraps and spherical buffer for good patterning but am open to any suggestions you have experience in.
    I also have mica wad-slick if pertinent.

4 layers of 3x 00 balls (12 balls in total...probably plenty for my needs) or:
    5 layers of 3x 00 balls (15 balls in total) are payloads I am interested in developing.

If it is relevant, I also have 2.75" Fiocchi straight walled hulls available.

All hulls are brand new and as yet unprimed so advice on a primer would also be awesome.

I intend using them for pigs in dense scrub at closer ranges. (50 yards max)

My chief need is a safe powder charge range for Bluedot in these hulls with this payload.
    I don't believe in throwing caution to the wind with shotgun loading so I am hoping you can help me get a start.

Thank you all in advance for your experience, advice and enthusiasm.

Kind regards, Luke.
    "That's gonna need stitches"

Boolit Master

Here's one with ProReach, will look for others with Blue Dot.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load16_03_18.htm
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub

You will find your tightest patterns will invariably come with two pellet layers in #1, 0, and 00 buck pellets in full length wads, even if triple pellet layers are possible.

For pigs, I’d forego everything and ho straight to 000 buck or maybe larger if you can make it pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Here's one with ProReach, will look for others with Blue Dot.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load16_03_18.htm

Thank you Hogtamer!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakehammer View Post
    You will find your tightest patterns will invariably come with two pellet layers in #1, 0, and 00 buck pellets in full length wads, even if triple pellet layers are possible.

For pigs, I’d forego everything and ho straight to 000 buck or maybe larger if you can make it pattern.

Thanks Drakehammer! I wouldn't be surprised if 4 layers of 2x #000 buck would fit in a 3" hull with a gas seal and teflon wrap. 8 of them is roughly 1 1/3 ounces of lead. Realistic weight and they would hit hard. If I can get a decent pattern I think it would work well. Interesting.
    Last edited by luke777; 03-08-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Boolit Bub

Absolutely. The .36 cal 000 buck stacks well by 2s with a teflon or mylar wrap and buffer, over a X12X gas seal and 1/2” fiber wad in 3” hulls. Very common load. With the right choke these will pattern very nicely and hit hard. I shoot a lot of very tight patterns with full length wads and 0 buck, but truth be told I’d rather hunt with 000 any day. You should have no trouble keeping 10-12 000 buck in 16” @ 40 yards. I get better patterns than that even with factory Remington 3” 000 buck, which uses a gas seal and cork wad like I described above. You got this.

Boolit Master
    I doubt it’ll do you much good in a 12 gauge but I load 0000 and 00000 in my 10 gauge 2 7/8” shells usually eight of the 0000 or six of the 00000 . You can buy ready made 0000 from BPI and I will if I use up what I cast . My 0000 was cast with a Lee .380” roundball mold and my 00000 again with a Lee .395” mold . While it’s no surprise they worked I’ve killed deer with both sizes in pre 1900 Parker double 10’s . Kinda my thing you might say lols!
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Drakehammer View Post
    Absolutely. The .36 cal 000 buck stacks well by 2s with a teflon or mylar wrap and buffer, over a X12X gas seal and 1/2” fiber wad in 3” hulls. Very common load. With the right choke these will pattern very nicely and hit hard. I shoot a lot of very tight patterns with full length wads and 0 buck, but truth be told I’d rather hunt with 000 any day. You should have no trouble keeping 10-12 000 buck in 16” @ 40 yards. I get better patterns than that even with factory Remington 3” 000 buck, which uses a gas seal and cork wad like I described above. You got this.

So excellent. This is really along the track I'm after. If I can get patterning like that with 000 I'm sorted. Ranges are often very close but occasionally out to 40 or 50 metres. Where do you suggest I look for starting powder charges? I bet recoil is "firm" with those heavier payloads. I find the triball loads punishing out of my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I doubt it’ll do you much good in a 12 gauge but I load 0000 and 00000 in my 10 gauge 2 7/8” shells usually eight of the 0000 or six of the 00000 . You can buy ready made 0000 from BPI and I will if I use up what I cast . My 0000 was cast with a Lee .380” roundball mold and my 00000 again with a Lee .395” mold . While it’s no surprise they worked I’ve killed deer with both sizes in pre 1900 Parker double 10’s . Kinda my thing you might say lols!
    This is excellent. I've never fired a 10g but would love to have a go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luke777 View Post
    This is excellent. I've never fired a 10g but would love to have a go.
    To get those sizes of buck to function semi well I need to remove the petals from the SP-10 wads and use a .003” Mylar wrap . With the 0000 I can stack two a layer for four layers with buffer and an over shot card inside the star crimp . The 00000 doesn’t stack quite as neatly and they’re kinda what they are . But they’ve both worked relatively well in seven or eight Parker’s and an LC Smith . I could get some of the pressure seal wads from BPI instead of cutting the SP-10 wads but what I do is easy enough .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

I have a 15x00 with bluedot recipe for a 2 3/4" fiocchi shell. It is a beast.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I have a 15x00 with bluedot recipe for a 2 3/4" fiocchi shell. It is a beast.
    Please do tell. I love it when they come together.

Yes please.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk