Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How could I clean a shotgun with engravings and damascus barrels? 11 gauge?

How could I clean a shotgun with engravings and damascus barrels? 11 gauge?

Well.... the title says it all. This isnt a casting question but its the shotgun section. How do I polish/clean the shotgun receiver with all the engravings? I dont want to damage the engravings or buff them out. Im not sure if steel wool will work? And what products would be best?

Also i know there isnt any 11 gauge shells anymore. So 12 gauge will do for this shotgun. I dont think there is away to make 11 gauge shells without making them completely from scratch. Im hoping the 12 will swell up in the chamber.

Shotgun in question is a WC scott, special grade SxS, damascus barrels, 11gauge fully engraved. Just bought it at a gun show today.

Boolit Master

Spray it down well with Ballistol/Kroil, let it sit for a few days. Then take 0000 steel wool soaked in a good gun oil, take about a 3/4" ball, soaked in oil. Rub gently in a circular motion. You're trying to lift off the rust and nothing else. Patience is a virtue.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Spray it down well with Ballistol/Kroil, let it sit for a few days. Then take 0000 steel wool soaked in a good gun oil, take about a 3/4" ball, soaked in oil. Rub gently in a circular motion. You're trying to lift off the rust and nothing else. Patience is a virtue.
    Im trying to rub it down with steel wool and rem oil now but its barely doing anything.

Boolit Master

How about a sonic cleaner? I don't have one but just put a very dirty and neglected 12 ga. receiver in a pot of boiling water and watched the dirt and old oil and crud float to the surface, a sonic cleaner would've worked better I think.
    As far as 11 ga. can you make or have some one make two chamber adapters from 11 to 12 ga.?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    You might try a small brass brush from hardware or auto parts store with kerosene

Remember to be careful with modern loads and Damascus barrels. Pretty much universally frowned upon, so do so at your own risk. At the very least, use the lightest loads you can.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

If you have insert made maybe have 20 ga liners made. more thickness and less pressure for old barrels to support.

Rocky Mountain Catridge should be able to make 11ga all brass hulls. They made 18ga hulls for a friend's scatter gun.

BB

Boolit Master
    In situations like this I use 000 or 0000 steel wool and Hoppes to clean rust and grunge off the barrels and receivers of shotguns . I have a sonic cleaner available to me but it isn’t large enough for the barrels . Only down side to the sonic cleaner is needing to take the action apart before cleaning . So then after coming out so all parts can be rinsed with distilled water then addressed with some sort of light oil so no rusting occurs .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    There’s a video on YouTube of Larry Potterfield making 11 gauge brass hulls for a hammer Parker .

Boolit Master
    I’ve got three W&C Scott hammerless guns two in great shape and one that had hard use . The hard use gun is a circa 1881 10 gauge the other two are pre 1899 12 and 20 . The thing is ALL those guns regardless of how much use they had are going to show some metal discoloration or corrosion now I mean they’re all atleast 125 years old now . I don’t want them rusting but I don’t want them over cleaned and tried to be made to look like they left the factory last Tuesday .

Quote Originally Posted by Snow ninja View Post
    Remember to be careful with modern loads and Damascus barrels. Pretty much universally frowned upon, so do so at your own risk. At the very least, use the lightest loads you can.
    Definitely only using BP

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    There’s a video on YouTube of Larry Potterfield making 11 gauge brass hulls for a hammer Parker .
    Yes and its the only video about an 11 gauge. Sadly I have no lathe or equipment to do that, or the knowledge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQNDD0xsJq4

Here the video I made show casing the gun. The barrels look abit browned and there is light rust marks. I was wondering how to remove those.

Also, people have mentioned inserts which I never thought of. Would they interfere with the extractors/ shell lifters? I would consider that option seriously.

Boolit Master

You need to soak for several days first.

The quad 0 steel wool with oil takes a Looong time, but with patience will remove only the rust.

If you have no patience, use a ****ed belt sander.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQNDD0xsJq4

Here the video I made show casing the gun. The barrels look abit browned and there is light rust marks. I was wondering how to remove those.
    I watched your video . I didn’t see anything that required any heavy duty rust removal . If that gun were mine I’d use my usual clean up process EXTERNALLY only . Well I might take the locks off as well blow them out light lubrication put it back together and leave it alone until I had some low pressure shells . I shoot ALOT of Damascus and twist guns , I also only shoot smokeless loads that are low pressure . Some folks might not agree with that and it’s their prerogative .

I watched your video . I didn’t see anything that required any heavy duty rust removal . If that gun were mine I’d use my usual clean up process EXTERNALLY only . Well I might take the locks off as well blow them out light lubrication put it back together and leave it alone until I had some low pressure shells . I shoot ALOT of Damascus and twist guns , I also only shoot smokeless loads that are low pressure . Some folks might not agree with that and it’s their prerogative .
    Il probably stick to BP even tho I hate cleaning the **** residue it leaves behind. If I take the locks off is there any pieces that will fall off or springs that will fly everywhere? Or is it just all one piece?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Il probably stick to BP even tho I hate cleaning the **** residue it leaves behind. If I take the locks off is there any pieces that will fall off or springs that will fly everywhere? Or is it just all one piece?
    Actually you’re probably better off not removing the locks if you’ve not done it before .

Boolit Master

Actually you’re probably better off not removing the locks if you’ve not done it before .
    I second that!!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast