Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .45 Kentucky Rifle Vs. Steel Plate

.45 Kentucky Rifle Vs. Steel Plate

It began back in 2008 when a nice fellow from the UK visited a quarry where there was an 8mm thick steel girder or plate of some sort planted in the ground,
    and he shot a hole through it with his Kentucky rifle and a tightly patched .433 round ball that was double wadded and 100 grains of 777.
    He said that the only other rifle able to shoot a hole through it was a .30-30.

Some folks didn't believe him when he posted about it so he set out to prove how powerful the load really was.
    He set up a steel plate in what appears to be an alleyway with his sons taking video, well you'll see the result including the recovered ball.
    He ended up dislocating his shoulder and needed to have it popped back into place at the ER, and his young son was hit in the leg
    by a lead fragment caused by standing too close to the steel plate while taking video of the shot.
    His son ended up being okay with only a small scar on his leg.
    But he did shoot a hole through the steel plate which only goes to show how powerful a Kentucky rifle and a patched round ball can be.

Last edited by arcticap; 03-09-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

100 grains and a 45 round ball muzzleloader dislocated his shoulder?

He just shot at his son, and posted it online. I had to watch it a few times to make sure it wasn't a joke. Brain dead is all I can say about this man.

Wow. What an idiot. Even if the bullet goes through, a lot of shrapnel will splatter 360 degrees around the hit location.

A leg hit was a blessing. He’s lucky he didn’t blind his child.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    Tripods are cheeper than sons.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I don't under stand why b-p seams to bring out the liar and idiot in people.

Boolit Grand Master

All true comments!

Dislocated his shoulder? He must be quite frail if the recoil from that load dislocated his shoulder!

"He just shot at his son, and posted it online. I had to watch it a few times to make sure it wasn't a joke. Brain dead is all I can say about this man." +1 for MSM's comment too! My first thought as well!

What was this guy thinking? Not only is his son in harms way from shrapnel but he is downrange of his father shooting a gun, and unprotected, which is totally unacceptable.

"He said that the only other rifle able to shoot a hole through it was a .30-30." Now there's a dumb statement! So no other rifle in existence will shoot a hole through that plate? No other rifle he had with him? What?

As for the power of the .45 round ball, that little sphere will be traveling at over 2000 FPS with that load so should be expected to pack considerable energy at that range.

If the original plate was iron then it's certainly more plausible as this other video clearly shows.

The title and caption of this similar short 16 second video states:

Muzzleloader rifle vs. 6mm iron plate

Rifle: .45 caliber Kentucky made by Davide Pedersoli
    Load: 75 grains of Swiss No. 2 Black Powder (3 Fg) and a .445 lead round ball
    Distance: about 15 meter Target: 6mm thick iron (not steel) plate

Last edited by arcticap; 03-09-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    I had to turn off that video as soon as he took aim. I think we found a couple of nominees for this years darwin awards.

Boolit Master
    thats not steel plate with a soft round ball muzzle loader. maybe cast iron. maybe a steel ball loaded in a muzzle loader.
    either way, that just aint right.

The load for my .45 flintlock use to be 80 grains of 3F; it was almost powder-puff recoil. How could that dislocate a shoulder???
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.