MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: MP Mold Advice for 45 HP - MP 452-200 HP or MP 452-374 Hollow point

Boolit Bub

MP Mold Advice for 45 HP - MP 452-200 HP or MP 452-374 Hollow point

Based on advice I received here last month I picked up a MP359-125FB_B_4C_nlg ...........am very happy with it. Would now also like one in 45 HP, after researching a bit these two seem to come up often, MP 452-200 HP or MP 452-374. I found this thread from about 5 years ago that sorta compares the two, though doesn't go into details:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...374-comparison

Profiles are very similar and the 452-374 seems to be slightly heavier and longer......any advantage that one of these has over the other, anyone have experience with both? I'm looking for which might be the most versatile since I have to feed a P90, an XD45, a SAR45, as well as a number of 1911 clones. Any advice is appreciated.

FWIW:
    I've never owned the mp 452-374 mold but I did own a lyman 452374 hp mold in the past. Sold it years ago just never cared for the weight of the hp (+/- 215gr). The MP mold has a lot larger hp along with different styles/shapes of hp's.

I do own the mp 452-200 hp with the large round hp pin and the penta point pin. Have nothing but good to say about that bullet, get them over 1100fps and they turn unto real thumpers. Not that 900fps isn't impressive, you start getting a 200gr bullet doing 1100fps+. You start getting into 10mm territory.

I have the 452374 solid and the 452 200 NLG solid. I like the 200 because it casts faster, shoots faster and uses less lead. it is also very accurate in a XDM 5.25 and a Walther PPQ 45. They are both great bullets for the 45 ACP.
    Flydad

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci

Boolit Master

452-200 from MP is my favorite mold ; with range scrap and about 3% tin I get a hollow point that flies true; hits hard and opens every time- alas my test media’s have been went news print, water jugs and a pork shoulder. Pcd as someone said above this boolit can get into 10mm territory and from a carbine is a true thumper- I shoot boat loads of them mildly loaded with bullseye and they shoot about as well as any round nose or semi wad cutter I’ve tried. The larger hp is my favorite.

Boolit Master

I have a 452-200 in 2 cavity, I've had it for quite a few years, great mold, I cannot recommend it enough for 45acp

Boolit Buddy
    I too think very highly of MP 200 it by far my most used 45 mold. I've been procrastinating about ordering a spare, I have at least a two pound coffee can full of them cast up.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford