WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My .60 cal Tri-Ball Load Results

Boolit Master
    Got all I was after and some additional stuff loaded . The 10 gauge .69 ball turned out pretty well , but needed four felt spacers to get it up where I wanted it . The 12 gauge solid base slugs went together as easily as there HB relatives . The 12 2 3/4” double ball needed some arranging to get it where I wanted . And finally the 3” 12 gauge with three balls was relatively easy as well although I think the final folded crimp could be a skoosh better . Think I’ll either shoot these at the house or stroll to the range Monday .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

WellI finally got my Lee 000 buck mold to work today. Took 6 times trying with different slightly hotter temperatures. I ended up having to run the mold VERY hot as several of you advised. I ended up getting success at a (ridiculously) hot 820 degrees. I know... What the???? But it worked and nothing below that yielded results for me. I needed to wait around 15 seconds for the sprue to frost over and open the mold each time but.... Hey.... Finally a result. Now to wait on a couple of components from the U.S. so I can make a batch and see how I go.
    "That's gonna need stitches"

Boolit Master
    Yep,I run my Lee buck #3 @ 850F.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yep,I run my Lee buck #3 @ 850F.
    Well there ya go! I'm using 50/50 pure Lead and Linotype.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well my 12 2 3/4” double ball loads were low and about an eight in spread . Might tweak this one a bit . The tri ball 3” loads were tighter and a noticeably more recoil . The solid base Lyman slugs shot as well as the HB glue filled . All were shot at 25 yards with my Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge 3” and IC screw in . The 10 gauge Parker did okay with the single 69 ball from the SP-10 wads but the ones with the Precision steel wads wouldn’t go in the gun , little to much bulge where the ball contacts the wad . Monday I’ll load some more of the double ball and some more of the 10 gauge .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 04-06-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Next time I wanna try some of the solid base slugs in my A-5 with the Hastings rifled barrel , and may as well try some with the Belgium Browning smoothbore slug barrel .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Next time I wanna try some of the solid base slugs in my A-5 with the Hastings rifled barrel , and may as well try some with the Belgium Browning smoothbore slug barrel .
    You are doing some awesome work there. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Slug and buckshot loading is just so interesting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luke777 View Post
    You are doing some awesome work there. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Slug and buckshot loading is just so interesting.

I shot today and it was all in my front yard LOL’s ! Bear in mind I live in the country on a sizable piece of real estate

I shot today and it was all in my front yard LOL’s ! Bear in mind I live in the country on a sizable piece of real estate
    Well you have obviously done what you had to do in life up to this point to facilitate that awesome luxury. One day I'd love to have the same. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Get that nice laminated strung longbow away from that heat!
    Ditto Ditto

Well?????

Waiting for pix and results (im)patiently.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3763.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	239470

Name:	IMG_3766.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	239471

Name:	IMG_3768.jpg 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	239472

Name:	IMG_3760.jpg 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	239473

they're kinda self explanatory . if you can read the little slips of paper . All were fired at 25 yards . The 10 gauge from a circa 1899 Parker EH 10 gauge 32" choked full and fuller yet . All the 12 gauge stuff was fired from a circa 1988 Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge 3" with a 22" barrel .

Still have some more of three ball 3" loads to shoot so I haven't loaded anymore of them . I did however load 25 more of the 10 gauge with the .69" roundball today and changed over from 3 1/8" felt 16 gauge wads to a single 3/8" hard card 16 wad I had on hand from some stuff I purchased awhile back . Loaded 14 of the solid base slugs for the 2 3/4" 12 gauge and the only thing I changed was the powder charge went up a skoosh with the SR7625 . And I loaded 15 of the 12 gauge 2 3/4" two .600" ball loads and again boosted the powder charge a skoosh and changed from the two felt wads to two 1/8" 28 gauge hard card wads . Might shoot them in the next day or two depending on inclement weather

Boolit Master
    Both 2 3/4" loads and the 3" loads had enough juice to them to work the action in the Benelli . I'm kinda interested to see if they're stout enough to work the actions on the Browning A-5 12 Mags .

Per James Gates the ideal choke for the Tri-Ball is somewhere between 0.665 and 0.690. You might try a tighter choke with those loads to see what affect it has on your spread.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Thanks very much for keeping us informed.

Those 2 3/4" "Tubers" are very interesting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    Per James Gates the ideal choke for the Tri-Ball is somewhere between 0.665 and 0.690. You might try a tighter choke with those loads to see what affect it has on your spread.
    In "most" of the guns I shoot you shoot what it is as they don't screw out . My Benelli is the only screw choke gun I own at the moment . Next time I'll use Browning A-5 Mag with the rifled barrel for the solid base slugs and possibly try a mod choke in the Benelli .

In "most" of the guns I shoot you shoot what it is as they don't screw out . My Benelli is the only screw choke gun I own at the moment . Next time I'll use Browning A-5 Mag with the rifled barrel for the solid base slugs and possibly try a mod choke in the Benelli .
    With the Benelli you can probably go Full for the Tri-Ball (not with the slug though).
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    With the Benelli you can probably go Full for the Tri-Ball (not with the slug though).
    The slugs have been fired numerous times through full choked doubles with what I thought were satisfying results . I doubt seriously if I EVER use this stuff in the Benelli for hunting , it’s more of a test vessel you might say . I do hunt with the Benelli but so far with just factory loads but then I’ve not owned the gun a year yet . I have several choke tubes made specifically for buckshot . But as to the double ball loads I’m more inclined to use them in a Parkerand the Triple ball in one of my A-5 Mags . Old isn’t necessarily better just more enjoyable for me

Boolit Master

Name:	138999D0-C112-4EF2-BEB2-E8F0886BD6F4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	239518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD813FF5-9CC2-454D-A1EF-B74FF9DE99FB.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	239519

Boolit Bub
    Funny looking Tri-Ball. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast