Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ballistol?

Banned

I find the smell pleasant.
    I am singular in this, it seems.

Banned
    I like the smell of Kroil but then I also like the smell of diesel exhaust, so I'm pretty weird.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I like the smell of Kroil but then I also like the smell of diesel exhaust, so I'm pretty weird.
    I'm right with you on that Ballistol is just about all i use now that and Kroil
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

jmort, your post ..."I find the smell pleasant. I am singular in this, it seems."
    I'm reading along and keep seeing innuendos from those not liking the smell of Ballistol. All the while I am thinking that I sort of like the smell. So after seeing your post and not wanting you to be all alone out there, I wanted to join you and say that I also find it pleasant. To each is own I guess. I also find it to be good on my black powder guns. I still use warm, soapy water for the initial clean up, but I usually to back and reclean with Ballistol as insurance against corrosion.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned

People from Southern Missouri are superior
    Hillbilly wisdom

Boolit Master
    There is an exhaustive internet test of 46 different products for firearms corrosion resistance and lubricity.
    The guy made an unbiased test of all of those products at the same time under the same conditions.
    I will not tell you what tested the best but Ballistol was one of the mediocre performers. At least 15 or 20 of the other materials out performed it. One of the other products is one that I have used with excellent results for about 20 years and my choice finished about #4. There are a lot of products that people swear by turned out to be duds compared to the best performers.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
    EDG

Banned

I saw this test and many others over the years. Eezox used to be the best at corrosion protection, no more. The top performer, overall was Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube. It is toxic if that matters. Look at their "MSDS," their term, and it is one toxic potion that absorbs right through your skin. Some do not care, I really do. It is an OK cleaner. There is no true CLP that will be a top corrosion champion, dominate in friction reduction, and clean like crazy. I will pick the non-toxic products every time. I have tried Frog Lube and found that it gums up if used as a lube, but is a great lube. It fails at cleaning. But if you warm up your gun metal and let it soak in and wipe it off real good, it really excells at rust prevention and is the only non-toxic product that does so. I will continue to use Ballistol as it is non-toxic and not only is safe on wood and plastic, but helps wood and plastic. I did note that its order was describe as "perfume" as were a couple other products. Also, and importantly, it does not gum up. The only non-toxic that will not gum up. There really is no true CLP that ranks high in every test and use. It the end, you would be best served to find a cleaner you love, a rust preventor you love and a lube that you love. And for a lube, one lighter and one that is a grease. Regardless, I will stick with non-toxic solutions.
    Last edited by jmort; 03-09-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Ballistol?

I use a lot of Ballistol. Buy it by the gallon and have lots of hand pump bottles and needle oilers filled w/ it. There are aerosol cans of it throughout the house and on my work van. But I do not use it as a bore cleaner. While it works it does a poor job and requires soak time. If I need to clean a bore I will use an actual solvent. Which is going to be toxic in nature.

Ballistol is not the best at anything. But it’s non toxic and doesn’t destroy the finish on anything firearms related. I can spray it on liberally, wipe off and go about my business. Routine maintenance keeps everything well oiled so I don’t worry about corrosion. Which is a major issue where I live. If I really want to prevent corrosion I use RIG grease. There’s nothing else that comes close.

Everyone has their preferred solvents and oils. My bench has Ballistol, Hoppes #9 and Kroil on it at all times. There may be better but this is what works for me. While I don’t like the smell of Ballistol. I’ve learned to live w/ it. Doesn’t bother me like it used to. But it lingers for a long time. A rag soaked in it that’s thrown in the trash can will smell for days if not weeks. This is really noticeable in my work van due to the small volume.

I use Ballistol on everything that needs to be oiled. Just oiled the door hinges in my house and may have to do it again in about five years. In a few weeks when it warms up every gun will be pulled out of the safe and oiled w/ liberal amounts of Ballistol.

Boolit Grand Master

Banned

That is what I read. Nasty witches brew that works real good. Absorbs right through the skin.
    No matter how good it is, not for me.

Boolit Master
    I bought a bottle of Ballistol and gave it away, it literally makes me gag and I almost threw up. Don't know why but someone can have my share.
    Last edited by beemer; 03-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Well the Germans did do it right The only thing close ( if not better) for cast bullets is Gunzilla. I'm always amazed at how it gets under leading and floats it off with just a tight patch after a few hours! ( both of these are supposed to be organic)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I started using Ballistol about a year ago. The smell does bug me to the point that I actually asked the guys at the Ballistol Booth at the SHOT Show if the secret ingredient was Cat Pee?

They said it was a secret.

The stuff works on everything and other than the smell, which does go away eventually, I like it.

I read an article in Handloader or Rifle Mag about it and that's what got me started. Apparently the Germans used it in the trenches in WWI and Hitler drank the stuff to deal with Intestinal Problems. Apparently he almost OD'd on the stuff. Too bad he didn't drink more and we could have avoided WWII.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Anyone try 50/50 acetone/ATF mix, it's supposed to be better than Kroil

Haven't got any leading to try it on yet (I size all my barrels before sizing the boolits and I PC/HiTek everything [knock on wood])
    50/50 acetone and ATF is supposed to be the magic formula for loosening a badly rusted and stuck antique tractor engine. I tried it. Didn't work.

Boolit Grand Master

The 50/50 mix is a penetrating oil. And depending on how seized the items are the more soak time it might need. It creeps more than any commercial penetrating oil. But PB Blaster, Kroil and Liquid Wrench come prepackaged and aren’t as toxic. I’ve found any one of those three to meet my needs. Liquid Wrench has worked the fastest for what I need it for. And I can buy it at Walmart and not worry if some gets on my hands. I try to limit my exposure to solvents as much as possible. I’ve worked w/ nasty chemicals for to long.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    50/50 acetone and ATF is supposed to be the magic formula for loosening a badly rusted and stuck antique tractor engine. I tried it. Didn't work.
    I tried it too and no it did not work for me ether
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I have found ballistol to be excellent for cleaning black powder fouling from my in-line muzzle loader.

Wayne
    Water is the premier black powder solvent - dont need anythin added to it ??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Water is the premier black powder solvent - dont need anythin added to it ??
    The reason for mixing the two is once the water evaporates the Ballistol is still there to prevent rusting. Nothing wrong w/ straight water. I would never run Ballistol water mix and stop there. But for the short term it would provide some corrosion protection until you can properly oil the barrel.

Banned
    ballistol is my first choice for cleaning guns. gunslicks foaming bore cleaner is the best thing for bores.

i like the smell of ballistol, i use it for cologne!!!!

I couldnt get past the smell to try it on anything. Wife and I both hated it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast