Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ballistol?

Boolit Master

Tried some for the first time the other day. Didn't think it stunk too bad, but not good by any means, and one wiff did choke me up a bit. Much oilyer than Hoppes, my usual go to. Didn't seem to cut carbon as fast as Hoppes, and I don't mind the smell of Hoppes at all, so I guess I'm not changing. I also like non-chlorinated brake cleaner for hosing out actions, trigger groups, etc. Got to be be sure to oil well afterwards though.
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 05-05-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Banned

since all my long guns are only fed real black powder, ballistol is all i need, either cut 1:6 with plain tap water or full strength. the caveat is that these guns have their barrels and locks and actions spritzed with straight ballistol to keep the bp residue soft and as a barrier to air. failing to do so can mean bringing in the chemical concoctions to take care of the nasties. for the smokeless powered handguns, it's straight ballistol. ballistol is non-toxic and good for the wood, to boot. after years of using it, i actually kinda like its stink, er, smell, er, aroma.

Boolit Master
    Reviving an older thread I guess, but I began using Ballistol yesterday for the first time. Previously it was Hoppe's and/or Rem-oil. I THINK I like how the ballistol works, and the aroma is not disagreeable, but IS a bit intense. Just wondering if I could cut it with some water? Would it still be as effective? I use smokeless powder, mostly SAA revolvers and lever action rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

A 50/50 mix is known as “Moose Milk”. You will see why when you mix it.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    Anyone have luck with Ballistol as a bore cleaner with cast bullets?
    Havent tried it as a bore cleaner ,but use it for storage protection , I found it on the shelf at my local gunshop 320klms away and bought it to try . But I still like Lanotech lanoline spray ,I spray it on a cloth and wipe over my guns .I use 3in one for lubing moving parts .Living in the tropics makes a whole new subject of rust , If Im handling guns during the wet season my hands get a spray of lanoline .My sweaty hands can make steel rust in minutes .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    A 50/50 mix is known as “Moose Milk”. You will see why when you mix it.
    Does it still work as good?

Boolit Buddy
    I like the smell of Ballistol, I also like the scent Hoppe's #9 and I love the smell of NitroMethane.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    For some reason, folks are in love with Ballistol. I am not. All it is, is white mineral oil and a petroleum distillate. So if it is you choice, just buy a jug of mineral oil. Here is the MSDS sheet for it ... https://ballistol.com/wp-content/upl...Revision-4.pdf.
    If you want an excellent bore cleaner and rust preventative, Give Eezox a try. I buy it by the quart - working on quart #9
    https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Premium.../dp/B07FCRVTDL
    https://www.eezox.com/
    Last edited by John Boy; 11-21-2020 at 12:58 AM.
    Regards
    John

Eezox ? A quick search tells me it is a health hazard.

Boolit Master

Just started using Ballistol works very good.

Ballistol is fantastic for cleaning black powder firearms and is about all I use on them. It also does a good job on general cleaning of smokeless powder firearms for removing crud left from shooting, for that it is just as good as the new formula Hoppe's in the plastic bottle. You will , however need something else for removing lead or copper from the bore. It will not do that. I have used it on leather and wood and it is also wonderful for that. Hoppe's would not be. I don't even mind the smell of Ballistol. I don't find it offensive at all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slohunter View Post
    I like the smell of Ballistol, I also like the scent Hoppe's #9 and I love the smell of NitroMethane.
    I just recently began using Ballistol. I like how it works. The odor is pleasant at first, but then becomes a bit overwhelming. A floor fan directed right at my work area does help to disperse the fumes.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    For some reason, folks are in love with Ballistol. I am not. All it is, is white mineral oil and a petroleum distillate. So if it is you choice, just buy a jug of mineral oil. Here is the MSDS sheet for it ... https://ballistol.com/wp-content/upl...Revision-4.pdf.
    I will say up front, I am not a Chemist of any sort.
    I looked at the MSDS sheets many years ago and did again just now.

Ballistol is made up of >60% white mineral oil. The balance of the product is a "Proprietary Petroleum Distillate" and a Trade Secret. In that non-mineral oil portion of Ballistol, the trade secret part, is an emulsifier that makes the product soluble in water.

I am not trying to put too fine a point on this but, simply buying inexpensive white mineral oil and using it on the black powder does not equal Ballistol. Not even mixed with water would it be the same.
    Perhaps an option that might be a little closer would be to buy some water soluble cutting oil, (such as NAPA water soluble cutting oil) tho it would not be the complete Ballistol product.

I like Billastol a lot, but not for the initial cleaning. Not that it does not work. I just use something else and follow up with Ballistol. I find that among the other good reasons to leave my bore wet with it when done shooting, that the first shot in the cleaned barrel leads much less, or not at all, with a slippery layer of Ballistol for the bullet to glide on.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy

I think it smells like the bottom of a chicken coop. Or very dirty wet socks. Both very comparable. Spill some of it at a public range, and you'll have your own shooting lane, as well as the ones next to you.
    But it does work well with bp guns.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I haven’t smelled anything since 1984, so the smell doesn’t bother me. Great for bp guns & milsurp wipe-downs. I tried it on pocketknifes and don’t think it lubricates all that well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I keep seeing this "Rig" grease mentioned and don't know what it is. Where would I find it? I want to give it a try.
    Thanks

Balistol a must for BP shooter's
    NRA Life Member
    learn to make your own black powder collect bp arms as there presently not recorded
    smokless is a fad its fading fast, helped along by obama

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFFALOW RED View Post
    Balistol a must for BP shooter's
    why????

Boolit Master
    I used some on my Glock M21 this morning.
    I have used it on my leather boots too.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcajeel View Post
    I keep seeing this "Rig" grease mentioned and don't know what it is. Where would I find it? I want to give it a try.
    Thanks
    Rig is a lot like cosmoline, a heavy grease used to protect & store to firerarms long term. It comes in a jar like Vicks. Can’t find mine to show you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast