Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: MGM contender barrel

Boolit Master

MGM contender barrel

Last year my old 10" Contender barrel in 357-44 Bain & Davis had the lug break this was an early barrel with a set screw that was in lug to retain bolt . I got nothing but grief from S&W (bought up Thompson including warranties ) so i decided rather then sell my dies to have new barrel made. I ordered a MGM Stainless Steel barrel (27") and a rifle stoke/forearm as my wrist no longer likes a lot of recoil. the barrel arrived within 6 weeks and looks very nice and shoots even better.

My breaking started low and is still 4.9 grains of 2400 under Hornady's book max for a 110 grain bullet . 20 grains of 2400 a Winchester LP primer and a Zero 110 grain flat point bullet is averaging 2300 f/s and will shoot into a ragged hole at 35 yards . My ammo i had loaded for 10" barrel also shoot well and pressures seem mild .

I am quite happy with the barrel and the combination recoil is not bad in a rifle at all!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Yes, MGM is a quality outfit and it’s sad what has become of the once great Thompson Center brand. Very similar to what happened to Marlin.

Banned

Been toying with the idea of getting a barrel for my Contender carbine in .25-20 from them. Good to hear they are quality.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old Virgin Valley pistol barrel in 45-70 for my Contender. Love it! It is a shooter.
    From what I understand, VV was disbanded and MGM started by the same people or employees. They are quality barrels for sure.
    Enjoy shooting that jewel.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an MGM straight 1" countour barrel on my Encore pistol chambered in .243 Win. Custom twist for the heavy 90-100gr bullets. Excellent craftsmanship.

Boolit Master

I have several MGM barrels, a 15" 500 S&W I just shot a few minutes ago, a 6.5 CM 24" SS heavy factory and a 7.5" full bull 300BO threaded I use with a form 1 suppressor. All shoot very well, I will buy more.

Boolit Master

Been doing more shooting with the MGM barrel i have been more impressed Using Hornady 140 FTX bullets & AA 1680 powder I am shoot ragged one hole groups at 50 yards . I still have not fired it at 100 yards or tried H-110 powder under FTX bullet.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned
    I have two MGM Barrels, a .256 Win. Mag fairley new and a .257 TCU. Both are 13 inches. Only shoot cast bullets at 25 yards because of a disability. Accuracy is very good. I am extremely pleased with their barrels and service.

Boolit Master
    They make some great barrels I have a few 18” G2 10mm bull that is incredibly awesome. An Encore 6.25” in 44 mag 1/20” twist fantastic and very accurate. Good stuff...

Boolit Master

The MGM barrel did it's first pest control kill a porcupine at 50 yards the critter was climbing a stump at the shot . The 100 grain Zero flat point left the muzzle at a bit over 2300 f/s entered the porcupine in the back and appears not to have entered stump but some quills from the back were pushed though and into stump? A mass the size of a foot ball of hair and quills were near by and belly was blown open .

Area was gone over with propane torch to make the quills safe I hate having them in the yard never know what that will get stuck in.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Been toying with the idea of getting a barrel for my Contender carbine in .25-20 from them. Good to hear they are quality.
    Rich
    I have been wanting a 25-20 rifle for a very long time myself. My brother is a big tc collector and we were talking a while back and he finally found me a carbine barrel for my old Contender frame. He told me that this barrel was one of only 2 he has ever found. He sold me a stock set and a barrel and I picked it up just before the July 4th holiday. I've picked up brass, mold and dies for it but have not shot it yet. I'm excited to finally have a 25-20 in the safe. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5786.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	244929

Boolit Bub
    I have been wanting a 25-20 rifle barrel for the contender for a long time also. mgm is high on the list for having what i want made.

Boolit Master

I am curious about the preformance of the 140 FTX.

ON LINE AI SEE few testing but it appears it might be tougher than I first expected.

I find most FTX to be soft and NOT up to pushing very hard. One exception is the 358/200g FTX. ITS held up well To nearly 3000 fps in my long Whelen!

I have been re sizing and shooting a 140FTX in my Legend to about 2300 fps. Not sure it will hold up on big game at those velocities. And wondering if you have tried it yet.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have a Virgin Valley (predecessor to MGM) 22lr. match carbine bbl and a Bullberry 7x30 Waters bbl. for my Contender Carbine. Both have been excellent.

Boolit Master

I have some updated on the MGM barrel CWlongshot may like the 140 FTX results.

I took the gun to the range and shot 100 yards from a clean bore I was a bit low and to the left three shots went into one hole .307" center to center ! Next two shots after scope adjustment went into same hole just slightly out of round and a bit right of crosshairs . The fifth shot after scope adjustment was 1" low and on the crosshair at 100 yards so it was sighted for deer season .
    I have some loading data from accurate Arms that shows 28 grains AA 1680 as maximum Compressed load under a few bullet weights the data for a different 140 grain bullet shows 1900 f/s from a Douglas 13" barrel in a Contender with a chamber pressure of 22,500 psi .I seat the bullet above the cannelure so I use less case capacity and loaded to 27.5 grains the velocity is 2200 f/s pressure is mild.
    I took a small buck at only 13 yards so velocity was high at impact , The 140 FTX went in high just in front of right shoulder exited fur behind left shoulder the deer was dead right there.
    Upon butchering I found the bullet broke three ribs on was in That shock wave broke right shoulder inside the chest cavity the bullet went though the top of the lungs exploding them with enough force to separate the spine above. The bullet left the chest cavity though a rib then though the left shoulder it must have pushed the skin up quite a bit to have exited where it did with a silver dollar sized exit hole.
    No bullet fragments where found and the bullet path on leaving the deer was lost so I had no bullet to see after the shot .
    Overall I was happy with how the 357 - 44 and the Hornady 140 FTX worked .

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 223 Remington step barrel from MGM (one of the many barrels I own from them) That will shoot well under 1" consistently at 100 yds.Attachment 253197
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two barrels form MGM. Fantastic. 7-30 Waters & .357 Max. Top shelf products.