Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Upside Down Press For Sizing Bullets

Upside Down Press For Sizing Bullets

Not my idea, but it works REALLY well for sizing bullets.... Today I mounted my Lee Press upside down on my bench....

I used 1/4" ready rod to make the long bolts, and 1/2" pipe for the standoffs.... The only modification needed to the press was to grind part of the webs away on either side at the top where they interfered with the standoffs.... In addition, I added a lead weight to the handle so that it doesn't rise up when you let go of it.... This keeps the ram up to give lots of room above the sizing die for loading the bullets....

You simply drop the bullet into the bottom of the NOE sizing bushing (which is now on top of the die) and lift up on the handle.... The sized bullet drops into the plastic tub on a shelf just under the press.... No more working blind, upside down, or having the bullet enter the die crooked, or pinched fingers....

Bob

Banned
    Interesting approach, kind of a "minimalist" design. I love seeing the different ways people approach/solve a problem.

Nic looking shelf.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Interesting approach, kind of a "minimalist" design. I love seeing the different ways people approach/solve a problem.

Nic looking shelf.
    Agreed, no better designer than Mother Necessity!!

Looks good, any twisting as you size?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Nope, its rock solid.... It doesn't require a lot of force to size bullets, of course.... I sure like not having to balance the bullet on top of the ram any more.... You don't need to add weight to the handle, but if you don't, the handle sticks out a bit when you are not using it (you could walk into it)…. and you may have to push down on it to get the ram out of the way to have more room to drop the bullets into the die....

Bob