RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Wondering if this is a good idea

Boolit Buddy

Wondering if this is a good idea

I just got back my Enfield sporter from the gunsmith, and one of the things I had done was to have the metal refinished using Brownell's Aluma Hyde. Before I sent it off, the bolt was very smooth with no binding or drag. About what you'd expect from an 80 year old rifle that has been well used.

Now that it's back it looks great, but where the Aluma Hyde coated the bolt and receiver I'm getting a lot of drag and binding. I tried putting some oil and then some grease on the bolt to see if that would help, but it just made a mess.

My next idea is to use something like JB Bore Paste to lap the bolt and receiver. I'm thinking if I can polish things up, or at least remove enough Aluma Hyde that there's a little more clearance, it should helps smooth things out.

Does this sound like a good idea? Thought I should get some alternate opinions before I go slathering this thing up and possibly ruining a really nice finish

Boolit Master
    If the bolt is Dragging , then you should be able to See rub marks inside the Bolt guide area or the bolt itself.
    Or coat the bolt with Dychem or Black Magic Marker.
    That will show where it is rubbing.
    That way you might be able to Limit the area you need to polish out in your New Finish.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Should not have coated the bolt.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Should not have coated the bolt.
    Just strip it off of the bolt.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Ditto to the above. The gunsmith should have known better than to paint the bolt. I'd take it back to him and ask him to remove the paint from the bolt body, leaving only the bolt handle coated.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Ditto to the above. The gunsmith should have known better than to paint the bolt. I'd take it back to him and ask him to remove the paint from the bolt body, leaving only the bolt handle coated.
    Not sure I would trust him to remove the finish. He might use a belt sander or a grinder.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just a thought.
    Did he take the action out of the stock????
    I've had actions that had been taken out of the stock, and a screw that is to long, was binding the bolt.
    Probably not, but something to check.
    Loosen, or better remove the screws holding the action, and see if it's better.