Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First Hunting Rifle

Boolit Master
    Me I'd down load a 308 but over here the 243 seems very popular along with 270 and 6.5s .a moderator /silencer will help with recoil muzzle blast for a nervous newbie.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A lot like the 308, but to me, it’s stepping up a notch on recoil. My choice is 6.5x55 Swedish. Very flat shooter and a lot less recoil than a 308. Getting used to something that has less recoil, will probably improve accuracy, the most important part. 6.5x55se is hard to find. Another would be 270. Was once considered the woman’s deer gun, although I’ve known woman to bring down large carabou with them.

Boolit Buddy
    a good 270 win will work for you and your daughter.

Boolit Grand Master
    My neighbors daughter used a 243 for her three elk she has shot. Used partition bullets and her longest shot was a lasered 287 yards. Was told it just stood there, began wobbling and fell over.

I would still lean with the 7-08

Banned

708 isn't a bad choice but the 308 is a better choice. Once your not there to handload for her ammo may be tough to find for the 708 and is available everywhere for the 308. difference in recoil between a factory 150 308 and a factor 140 708 is so small if you were blind folded you couldn't tell the difference. Another advantage with the 308 is a non handloader can buy reduced loads right over the counter. One other very slight advantage is in two identical guns the 308 will be slightly lighter due to the bigger bore.

Boolit Master

This is the cast boolit forum. Get the 308, more boolit molds than you can shake a stick at, including some great ones from Lee, cheap brass to boot. Deer loads at 1800 fps, work up from there... I like the supressor idea, pre-threaded barrels are easy to come by these days. Muzzle blast is a big component in the perception of recoil. Start her with double hearing protection. Practice has to be fun to make a markswoman out of her.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by clintsfolly View Post
    Go back and reread richhodg66 post! The man hit the nail square on the head!
    Yes he did,even a 30-30,that she can use after she gets bigger would work You'll have to teach her the Art of reloading and casting many hours of enjoyment in the future too.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    OP,
    Take a look at the Savage Storm. It is stainless and the stock is adjustable to include LOP and comb height. As she grows the stock can grow with her.
    East Tennessee

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234